Can someone, anyone pray for me?

Your comment reminds me of words from a great book called ‘The Screwtape Letters’ by CS Lewis. (The books is written as letters sent between demons, so when they say ‘Enemy’ they mean God.)

At one point, one demon says to another (about God’s relationship with humans, and why He allows humans to feel ‘down and empty’ as you say):

“He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there He is pleased even with their stumbles. Do not be deceived, Wormwood. Our cause is never more in danger, than when a human, no longer desiring, but intending, to do our Enemy’s will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys.”

CS Lewis has the demons refer to this as the ‘law of undulation’ which affects the “amphibian” (haha) creature that is a human: “half spirit and half animal”:

As spirits they belong to the eternal world, but as animals they inhabit time. This means that while their spirit can be directed to an eternal object, their bodies, passions, and imaginations are in continual change, for to be in time means to change. Their nearest approach to constancy, therefore, is undulation-the repeated return to a level from which they repeatedly fall back, a series of troughs and peaks. If you had watched your patient carefully you would have seen this undulation in every department of his life-his interest in his work, his affection for his friends, his physical appetites, all go up and down. As long as he lives on earth periods of emotional and bodily richness and liveliness will alternate with periods of numbness and poverty…

This is a great book and I highly recommend it. One addition I’d make to the above is from St. Ignatius, in his 8th ‘rule’ for spiritual discernment:

Let him who is in desolation labor to be in patience, which is contrary to the vexations which come to him: and let him think that he will soon be consoled, employing against the desolation the devices, as is said in the sixth Rule…

<< Basically, the enemy will always try to tell you that consolations will never come again, or are so far away that you might as well give up beforehand. Whereas we are to hope that consolation will come soon, and continue in the holy actions we decided upon back when we were receiving consolations.

<<for a summary of the rules, and also podcasts on the subject of Ignatian discernment of spirits. Useful stuff for a Catholic!

1 Like

Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless, and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible,
look kindly upon us, and increase your mercy in us,
that in difficult moments, we might not despair nor become despondent,
but with great confidence, submit ourselves to your holy will,
which is love and Mercy itself.
Amen.

1 Like

Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless, and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible,
Amen…

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection,
implored thy help, or sought thy intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired with this confidence, we fly unto thee, O Virgin of Virgins my Mother;
to thee do we come; before thee do we stand, sinful and sorrowful;
O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not our petitions,
but in thy mercy hear and answer us. Amen

Offering prayers. Isaiah 41:10 fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

1 Like

O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fountain of Mercy for us, I trust in You!

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, Amen.

Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.

For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world. x10

Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Praying for you~

Steer the ship of my life, good Lord, to your quiet harbour, where I can be safe from the storms of sin and conflict. Show me the course I should take.

Renew in me the gift of discernment, so that I can always see the right direction in which I should go and give me the strength and the courage to choose the right course, even when the sea is rough and the waves are high, knowing that through enduring hardship and danger, in your name, we shall find comfort and peace.
Amen.
(St. Basil)
: latin_cross:

May your heart always be
the temple of the Holy Spirit.
May Jesus always be the helmsman
of your little spiritual ship.
May Mary be the star
which shines on your path
and may she show you the safe way
to reach the Heavenly Father.
Amen.
St. Pio

1 Like

Anima Christi

Soul of Christ, sanctify me;
Body of Christ, save me;
Blood of Christ, inebriate me;
Water from the side of Christ, wash me;
Passion of Christ, strengthen me;
O good Jesus, hear me;
within Your wounds, hide me;
let me never be separated from You;
from the evil one, protect me;
at the hour of my death, call me;
and bid me to come to you;
that with Your saints, I may praise You forever and ever.
Amen.

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

You are in my prayers.

Amen.
+

Praying for you to know God’s loving presence.

God’s time is not our time…don’t lose faith, he has a plan! Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, Fatima, AMEN!

O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fountain of Mercy for us, I trust in You!

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, Amen.

Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.

For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world. x10

Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

but in thy mercy hear and answer us.
Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.