Can someone become a deacon if he is already an ordained minister?

My husband is seriously considering becoming a deacon when our children are older. His sister is getting married this fall in a non denominational outdoor wedding and asked if he would officiate. We assume he would have to become an ordained minister of some sort, but we were wondering if that would influence his ability to become a deacon later on. Does anyone know anything about this?

It would be wrong for a Catholic to take active part in a protestant or non denominational service. As for whether or not it would be allowed is a different question. Would it matter? Protestants and non denominational communities do not have validly ordained ministers. Their “ministers” are all self ordained and have no more authority than you or I. Just a bunch of adults dressing up and playing make believe Priest. Just my two cents though. I know it doesn’t really answer your question. But personally, as a Catholic, I wouldn’t go near a non Catholic service (if it was expected that I participate)

[quote="Cdub622, post:1, topic:326184"]
My husband is seriously considering becoming a deacon when our children are older. His sister is getting married this fall in a non denominational outdoor wedding and asked if he would officiate. We assume he would have to become an ordained minister of some sort, but we were wondering if that would influence his ability to become a deacon later on. Does anyone know anything about this?

[/quote]

Receiving "ordination" for a non-denominational service is prohibited for Catholics.

If his sister nor future brother-in-law was never Catholic, then your husband could perform the ceremony as a Justice of the Peace, or similar civil position. One get appointed a justice by applying to the local town/city government.

If either are Catholic, then your husband ought to encourage them to be married by a Catholic priest or deacon, rather than perform the wedding himself.

I really don't understand your question (and you will most likely not understand my answer) but a Catholic priest can not marry, he may have kids if he was married before converting and enter the seminare and are a widow, if not, he is married in the eyes of The Church. Main issue though, why in heavens name should a minister or priest want to "step down" and become a deacon??

The OP was speaking about her Catholic husband getting temporarily “ordained” by a Protestant church so that he could officiate at her sister-in-law’s wedding. It would not be a valid priestly ordination. She was wondering if this false ordination would interfere with becoming properly ordained as a deacon in the future.

The Permanent Diaconate is not a “step down”. Deacons and Priests share the same Holy Orders. Think of them as two halves of one whole in Holy Orders. Only a Bishop holds the fullness of the Sacrament of Holy Orders. We should not diminish the role of our Deacons and see them as a lesser role. They have the same ordination but are called to a different style of ministry than our Priests.

[quote="Cdub622, post:1, topic:326184"]

[/quote]

He cannot get ordained in any non-Catholic denomination in order to perform weddings.

He could apply to be a civil officiant. If his sister and her future husband are non Catholics (not lapsed Catholics) then he could officiate civilly.

Thank you so much for all your perspectives and insights! I agree now that even if it were possible for him to become a deacon after(which it looks like it isn't), it would be wrong for him, as a Catholic, to be falsely ordained just for the wedding. I didn't realize he could perform a civil ceremony, but their county has a "marriage deputy for a day program" that allows it. Thank you again! I appreciate the input.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.