Can someone define "Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit"?

I have looked around but I cannot seem to find an adequate definition of a blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. So far, the jist of it that I have is that one must accept the Holy Spirit’s presence, and choose to reject it anyway. Does anyone have something a bit fuller?

Thanks,
Eamon

What I have heard, and, I don’t remember if this is Catholic or Protestant or both, but, what I have heard is that it means to reject God and Jesus and all of Their Teachings. If you are still like this at death…then you will die.

In Matthew 12:22 the Pharisees tried to charge that Jesus performed exorcisms through satanic power. They were assigning His entire work and teachings to an evil principle, making it anti-God. Part of Jesus’ response to them was about blaspemy against the Spirit.
12:31 “That, I assure you, is why every sin, every blasphemy, will be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven…”.

I believe that it was Archbishop Fulton Sheen who explained that if you know that Jesus is Who He says, if you understand that, & then willfully reject Him on your deathbed, you have committed this sin. It is that final refusal to follow God that is unforgivable, because you are no longer [on earth] where you can be forgiven…

When Jesus said the thing about blaspheme against the Holy Spirit, it was in a scene where he had done some healings, and some of the folks who saw it said he had done those healings by the power of Beelzebub. The thing about blaspheme against the holy spirit seemed to be a response to that accusation, so you might say that since Jesus was healing by the power of the Holy Spirit, and they were saying he was healing by the power of Beelzebub, that those folks were calling the Holy Spirit Beelzebub, which was blaspheme. After Jesus said the thing about blaspheme against the Holy Spirit, he reitterated it by saying, “Therefore, whoever speaks a word against the Holy Spriit…” So I get the impression that blaspheme against the Holy Spirit is basically insulting the Holy Spirit, and one way a person might do that is by attributing the Holy Spirit’s work to Beelzebub.

Here’s the deifintion and explanation of the CCC:

**"2148 ***Blasphemy *is directly opposed to the second commandment. It consists in uttering against God - inwardly or outwardly - words of hatred, reproach, or defiance; in speaking ill of God; in failing in respect toward him in one’s speech; in misusing God’s name. St. James condemns those “who blaspheme that honorable name [of Jesus] by which you are called.” The prohibition of blasphemy extends to language against Christ’s Church, the saints, and sacred things. It is also blasphemous to make use of God’s name to cover up criminal practices, to reduce peoples to servitude, to torture persons or put them to death. The misuse of God’s name to commit a crime can provoke others to repudiate religion.

Blasphemy is contrary to the respect due God and his holy name. It is in itself a grave sin."

Even though this isn’t directly worded as “Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit”, ultimately, all Blashphemy by deifinition is directed against God and the Holy Spirit by extension. Hope this helps. Thanks and God Bless.

hi, here’s an audio sermon on the unpardonable sin.

modem
alpha.bme.emory.edu/bible/index-24k/hfth/25-The_Unpardonable_Sin.mp3

broadband
alpha.bme.emory.edu/bible/index-64k/hfth/25-The_Unpardonable_Sin.mp3

if you like those there’s more that hopevideoministries.com/audio_with_david_asscherick.htm

[quote=ephphatha] After Jesus said the thing about blaspheme against the Holy Spirit, he reitterated it by saying, “Therefore, whoever speaks a word against the Holy Spriit…” So I get the impression that blaspheme against the Holy Spirit is basically insulting the Holy Spirit, and one way a person might do that is by attributing the Holy Spirit’s work to Beelzebub.
[/quote]

I agree. I think it is when you do not believe that the Holy Spirit works among us and the world. Because in denying the works of the Holy Spirit, you are denying the Mercy of God, and ultimatly, when one does that, there is nothing that God may do to help you because disbelief in the Mercy of God, is disbelief in the power of God, as all things stem from His Mercy. (Italitcs from St. Faustina)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.