Can someone explain the meaning of John 3:16 to me?

Yes,

It means that Redemption is ONLY POSSIBLE through our Triune Godhead, and specifically, Jesus Christ, who’s Sacrifice, Merits such an awesome gift.

However, it does not mean, that only by the Sacrifice of Christ do we attain Salvation. No, there are other conditions that must be met.

**Redemption ** means that The gates of Heaven were “unlocked” by the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. It by itself does not guarantee our Salvation.

John 3:5 speaks of the need for Christian baptism (of “water and the Holy Spirit.”)

John 3:31 speaks of “obedience to God’s Will, speaking of course about the Commandments.

Taken together, these three verses from the same book and same Chapter, we have snap-shot of why Salvation cannot, and most clearly is not, through “Faith Alone” as our Protestant Brothers and Sister hold as “truth.”

God bless you!

BVM please lead us to Jesus

PJM m.c.

:slight_smile: To realy belive is to love him and to love him you will keep his commandments.He also said to go about the world teaching and preaching ALL which I have commanded you and Baptizing in the name of the Father son and Holy Spirit,for low I am with you always even untill the end of the world. So yes (obedience to the word of God) is most important for if Adam and Eve would not have disobeyed,we would have lived in peace and with the Father all the while:thumbsup:

You are on the right track. Simply believing that a historical event involving a virgin birth took place, and this person (Jesus) said he was the Son of God, isn’t the essence of this verse. Simply put, it means we must accept everything said and taught us; and if we then accepted all that he taught, we not only would live holy lives but accept the Church that Jesus founded; based upon Peter. In so accepting Jesus, we accept his entire commandments and way of living our lives to worship his Father. Now you know, that His Father had already given us the 10 Commandments to follow, and Jesus said he came to fulfill all the commandments of his Father, including the 10 Commandments. Soooooo, it is far more than just saying that “Yes, I believe that Jesus was born, and is the Son of God”. If I truly believe in Jesus, I must, and I repeat must, accept all that he taught; and the hardest thing it seems for non-catholics to accept is that He gave us His actual body and blood to drink to have life “in Jesus”, (the Holy Eucharest), and that he gave us a living organized Church to belong to, that has a direct apostle foundation and is headed by a apostle who now is called the Pope, who had all of the Keys of the Kindgom that Jesus gave to Peter, and also has the infallible truth to bind on earth, as Jesus gave to Peter----all of which is easily read in the bible.

AMEN!

I really like Luke45’s response. The nail has been struck with his answer. . . Indeed, the nailed to the cross has accomplished what man can’t do for himself. See sermonillustrations.com/a-z/w/works_righteousness.htm for more on the subject.

RBChopper:) I read your information and there was alot of good stuff in there.People are people,no matter what,but yes the only way to God the father is through the son,confession,baptizm,laying on of hands and so on. I did like Luke:24-45:thumbsup: God Bless You Nancy

Amen Brother:thumbsup:

Friend if you doubt it, read james Chapter 2. It’s quite short and to the point. If you want additional evidence that Salvation is NOT by faith alone, just say so and I’ll be happy to provide it. There is “tons” of biblical evidence that supports the Catholic Theology.

God bless you!

PJM m.c.

BVM please lead us to your Son Jesus!

Acts 2:47 …"And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.
I agree with James you cant have a saving faith and not have works to show for it, its like the tree analogy before it gives fruit it has to be planted on good soil being Jesus the seed being your faith if its genuine faith you’ll know if your growing in Christ producing fruit. and if you dont produce fruit/works then you were never saved to begin with or never truly believed with your heart.
Rom 10:9 "because, if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."
Rom 10:10 For man believes with his heart and so is justified, and he confesses with his lips and so is saved.

But i also agree with Paul when he said this…
Eph. 2:8-10 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
(a free salvation by God’s grace through Christ) and a call to “good works”.
and i like how the ESV clarifies the same point in vs 9. not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Isa 64:6 our works are like filthy rags if we are trying to be righteous by them.
so in conclusion we are saved by faith through Grace an action of the heart is not a work. Jesus doesnt need any help saving us he blood was sufficient. Amen

JOHN 3 [16] For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that WHOSOEVER BELIEVETH in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. [17] For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him MIGHT BE SAVED. [18] He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. [19] And this is the condemnation, THAT LIGHT IS COME INTO THE WORLD, AND MEN LOVED DARKNESS RATHER THAN LIGHT, because their deeds were evil. [20] For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. [21] But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Many will quote John 3[16-18]. But if you go on to read the next 3 verses in John (19-21) you will see that unbelievers have NO LIGHT IN THEM because they prefer darkness.

ISAIAH 8 [20] TO THE LAW AND TO THE TESTIMONY: IF THEY SPEAK NOT ACCORDING TO THIS WORD, IT IS BECAUSE THERE IS NO LIGHT IN THEM.[21] And they shall pass through it, hardly bestead and hungry: and it shall come to pass, that when they shall be hungry, they shall fret themselves, and curse their king and their God, and look upward.[22] And they shall look unto the earth; and behold trouble and darkness, dimness of anguish; and they shall be driven to darkness.

As you can see this scripture from Isaiah is not about ancient Israel. In fact it has not yet come to pass. It will come to pass on “The Day of the Lord”. The day Jesus returns to this earth. To the law (10 commandments) and the testimony (Jesus) If they speak not according to these words THERE IS NO LIGHT IN THEM. Just as the WORD says in John 3. Theres plenty of people who say they believe in Jesus and yet reject His 10 commandments

This response is to Jeremiahjj. The Spirit of the Lord is a sharp, double-edged sword. You are right that “believing isn’t enough,” but you are also very wrong. Belief lies on the very edge of the sword: death is on one side, and eternal life on the other. Belief is paramount. But belief is a concept that must be understood rightly, or it means nothing. Belief, when right, is a grace and a gift from God. Being Divine, it brings with itself a panoply of good deeds, which prove its Divine origin. Satan’s “belief,” which you mention, isn’t like that! Satan is a believer that lacks works, except a few works he performs to achieve a greater evil! That’s not the belief leading to eternal life! You are also both wrong and right in claiming that “loving God and each other goes beyond simple belief.” Wrong, because love of God and neighbor is never “simple.” Right, because, indeed, a simple belief isn’t true belief. No person that loves God believes simply! We love because we believe truly. I know that you did not respond to my post. But, please, reread it and see: I have ended my post by calling on all to love God … calling for a *true belief *that is all that is needed!

Hello afriendofGod
It really is rather simple (in theory)

MATT.22 [35] Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, [36] Master, which is the great commandment in the law?[37] Jesus said unto him, THOU SHALT LOVE THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THY HEART, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.[38] This is the first and great commandment.[39] And the second is like unto it, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF.[40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Those dadburn lawyers!

DEUT.6 [5] And THOU SHALT LOVE THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THINE HEART, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.[6] And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart [17] Ye shall diligently KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS of the LORD your God, and his testimonies, and his statutes, which he hath commanded thee.

Jesus was only quoting scriptures from the old testament. And as you can see in above scripture the way to love GOD is to keep diligently the commandments.

1JOHN 5 [2] By this we know that we love the children of God, WHEN WE LOVE GOD, AND KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS.[3] For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

And the new testament verifies the old testament as to how we are to show our love for God? In the new testament book of John. When we love God, we keep His commandments.

LEV.19 [17] Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.[18] Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF: I am the LORD.

Again (thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself) Jesus is quoting scripture from the old testament. Do you agree that the people who lived in old testament times were under the 10 commandments. Of course they were. So why when Jesus quotes old testament scripture do some think the 10 commandments are now done away with?

2JOHN1 [5] And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that WE LOVE ONE ANOTHER.[6] AND THIS IS LOVE, THAT WE WALK AFTER HIS COMMANDMENTS. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

In John, you can read how we are to love our neighbour according to the NEW TESTAMENT. It’s the same way that it says in the old testament. KEEP GODS 10 COMMANDMENTS. So ya see, it is simple in theory but to keep the commandments in the spirit is very hard. I speak for myself.

This narrative took place in Jerusalen. Nicodemus a member of the ruling council comes to talk with Jesus whom he called Rabbi. Jesus’ miraculous signs have convinced Nicodemus that Jesus is " from God" Jesus said " I tell you the truth no one can see the Kingdom of God unless he is born again" i.e. Baptism, Father , son, Holy Spirit.
John 3-16 Summeries Jesus’ lesson to Nocodemus that belief in Jesus is the path to Eternal Life.
John 3-16 has been called the" Gospel in a nutshell " because it is considered a summary of most of the central doctrines of Tradiitional Chrisianity. and one of the most quoted pasages in the Bible :slight_smile:

Does John 3:16 Teach Eternal Security Through Faith Alone?
By Steve Ray
catholic-convert.com/Portals/0/Documents/John3-16.doc

John 3:16 teaches what it it teaches. However, we should not read more into the statement than what it teaches because it sets Christian against Christian and we end up with the “faith, not works” argument. The Bible also teaches that faith without works is dead. Faith, works, love, feeding the hungry, visiting prisoners, clothing the poor, all are required of us if we are to be see eternal life. We can’t snip one phrase out of the Bible and say that’s all there is to being a Christian.

1. God loved the world (his creation) so much
  2. That he gave his only begotten Son
  3. That whoever believes in him shall not die
  4. But will have eternal life.

I agree with what you say. Faith without works is dead. But consider this: there are thousands of people who lay paralyzed in bed for years, some on life support, as I write. How about them? Are they “too late” to be saved? Not so! Christ died for them also! This is why I have always written that the Mercy of God is Infinite, even for them … as long as they whisper, “I believe” (some of them can no longer write o speak, but can think). This whisper is all the “work” they need … and I venture to say that, in some cases, if they can no longer think, God in His Mercy will send an Angel to wisper it for them!

Then they are like the poor woman who gave her last two copper pennies. But those with more, should give more to Christ!!!

What did He tell the rich man? Sell everything you have and come and follow me.

:thumbsup: Yes you are right on all that you say theres more to the Bible,than vain talk and misguided verses,because there not interperted the way the Lord intended,for we all confess to be beleivers,but argue instead of teach. Nancy

You are right. The terminally ill and the desperately poor are wealthy in their cross! That’s why I believe, with John Paul II, that suffering is better than money, when it comes to merit. I even advise the terminally ill and the desperately poor, to drop their suffering into the church basket, instead of coins. When attached to the Cross of Christ, their offering is of far greater value than that of those who give millions! As far as “giving more,” I agree with you that those who have should give more. But remember that the greatest thing we can offer is not money, but love. This and not “coin” is what the poor widow really gave! She loved God enough to risk her life for Him! That was done out of love! Every good did should be out of love for God, and every act of faith! That was done out of faith as it should be - a faith motivated by the Cross, a faith in the value of the Cross (we discussed this earlier). This was not the “faith” Luther was talking about. This was the poor widow’s faith, the Martyrs’ faith, Mary’s faith! This was pure “works” - works of love for God without which faith is dead!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.