Can someone help me come up with a counterargument?

ok, thanks for clarifying.

I was meaning more of someone who may have fallen in to sin but was sincerely sorry, but still has the pregnancy obviously. not quite the same as the scenarios you were describing.

though the church does not forbid single parents from adopting. two parent homes are ideal. but there are many children who are just simply not wanted. either due to age, disabilities, etC…

If I am understanding the above correctly, you are saying this (without the double/triple negatives): the Church teaches that it is moral to keep a child even if it was created by “accident”.

And that is correct.

But the Church does teach that the means which creates a child by “accident” may have been immoral. If it was done outside the bounds of marriage.

well, I guess the idea that you would be giving off the impression that single parenting is no big deal.

then again, I don’t know if someone will think it’s a good idea just based off what they see from their neighbour or their friend’s parent or whatever the relationship may be

like I said, I don’t know how to really eloquently counter it

Frankly, I do not understand the effort to re-direct the original poster’s question. It is HER question, not your question – and she has every right to ask the specific question that she wants to ask and not to have her question directed toward discussion of a topic that is other than the one that she chose.

LOL!

then again, I don’t know if someone will think it’s a good idea just based off what they see from their neighbour or their friend’s parent or whatever the relationship may be

like I said, I don’t know how to really eloquently counter it

You can say to the person who claims this is scandalous: you are in contradiction to Church teaching. The Church commands that I not kill my child. And the Church does not command that I give my child up for adoption.

(Rhetorical “I” here.)

of course, I’m not suggesting for anyone to say that sex outside of marriage is moral… it is immoral regardless of whether or not a child results from the act

however, we do live in a society where that is not widely taught so it’s easy, for young people, who may not know their faith too wel or at all, to fall in to such a trap and ot realize too late, what a position they’ve gotten themselves in.

that being said, some of them can and really do make responsible choices after that

Indeed.

however, we do live in a society where that is not widely taught so it’s easy, for young people, who may not know their faith too wel or at all, to fall in to such a trap and ot realize too late, what a position they’ve gotten themselves in.

No doubt.

that being said, some of them can and really do make responsible choices after that

Of course.

Was there any doubt about that? :confused:

thanks, I asked about scandal because there’s not really a question of comparing single parent households to married ones. obviously we know which is the ideal. but of course, we live in a fallen world, so many situations will be in the non-ideal that we have to deal with

you’re a priest, if I remember correctly? maybe you can help me out with this

I think the best answer to anyone who poses this question is: it’s not scandalous.

Period.
End of story.
'Nuff said.

you’d be surprised. there are some people who believe that all unmarried singles should give their children up for adoption because it’s more ideal

They’re probably right.

All things being equal.

But each situation needs to be evaluated on its own merits.

what about the part where they say that it will make others think it’s ok to do? i.e. child’s friends or cousins

You can tell them: this wasn’t my choice. And if I had to do it over again, I’d make some different choices in my life.

No thinking person believes that. However I will say that a large number of single parent kids would be better off in an adoptive familyr. However it’s not about the kids. It’s about the selfish wants and needs of the parent.

None of this applies of course to a person who is s single parent through no fault of thier own.

The pope spoke about homosexual adoption being a form of child abuse when he was Cardinal. But not necessarily for the reasons one might think. He pointed out that a child should have a mother and father. So the same would apply for single parenthood. It is not best for the child. Period. Does that mean we rip children fro
Thier mothers? No. Does it mean that it is a problem. Yes.

not that I’m an expert, but I think it’s rare that all things would be equal in most situations

if a single person is genuinely committed to take care of their child, can afford to do so, realizes their error, brings them up in the faith if they are catholic. I don’t really have any issues with that. but that’s just my opinion

Thankfully in America I am free to raise my children with my husband in a loving home.

No one should have any issues with this.

It seems as if you’re trying to create an issue where none exists. I dunno…:shrug:

I would agree that a single parent household is not the best situation for a child. However, seeing a single parent cope may encourage someone who is pregnant not to have an abortion, and seeing the struggle may encourage someone to think before having sex outside of wedlock.

You are also free to call this a square, but that doesn’t make it right:

http://www.idf.org/sites/default/files/Blue-circle-200px.jpg

You are free to say you’re a married bachelor, but that doesn’t make it right.

You are free to say this woman is (physically) disabled, but that doesn’t make it right.

huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/19/chloe-jennings-white_n_3625033.html

You are also free to say this woman is a cat, but that doesn’t make it right:

of course it’s not ideal

but let’s say, I hypothetically had a child, realized my sin, repented, could afford to take care of the child. fully intend to bring them up in the faith. you still think that’s selfish, or a form of child abuse?

there is also not absolute certainty they’ll be adopted in to a good family either.

the other scenario is that the parents are completely promoting a sinful union. same with a parent who remarries without an annulment.

raising a child alone is not inherently immoral, the fornication would have been.

it’s going to be hard on the child regardless. I was born out of wedlock. while everyone else is happy to celebrate their birthdays. I spend the day comtemplating the fact that I exist because of a sin committed.

that does not go away, single parent or adopted parent

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.