Can someone help me find this quote from JPII?

Hi everyone,

I'm in a discussion with someone in regard to the Mass, and am looking for a quote from JPII where he talks about the word 'celebration' in terms of "the Mass being a celebration" - he is basically explaining that we are not to take this word to mean a 'party' (hence the atmosphere at some churches....) but it means "celebration" in the sense of a remembrance or participating in ....or something like that....I can't quite remember.

I've searched and searched and can't seem to find this. I'm not sure if it was a paper he wrote, a homily....does this sound familiar to anyone? Or if you know of anything else "official" that explains what we mean by "celebrating the Mass" I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!

I can't find the quote from JPII, but here is a supportive defintion:

thefreedictionary.com/celebrate

[quote="Elzee, post:1, topic:317762"]
Hi everyone,

I'm in a discussion with someone in regard to the Mass, and am looking for a quote from JPII where he talks about the word 'celebration' in terms of "the Mass being a celebration" - he is basically explaining that we are not to take this word to mean a 'party' (hence the atmosphere at some churches....) but it means "celebration" in the sense of a remembrance or participating in ....or something like that....I can't quite remember.

I've searched and searched and can't seem to find this. I'm not sure if it was a paper he wrote, a homily....does this sound familiar to anyone? Or if you know of anything else "official" that explains what we mean by "celebrating the Mass" I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!

[/quote]

It would be somewhere on this link:

nccbuscc.org/pope/writings.htm

Good luck.

Elzee, if you haven't found it yet, it does sound like something I read once on the Vatican web site in one of his writings. I'm sure it would still be on there, perhaps if you put it in the search engine on their home page they could take you to that particular piece.
Vatican.va
I haven't been on here for quite some time but even this site could probably take you to it with their search.

Perhaps this encyclical?

vatican.va/holy_father/special_features/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_20030417_ecclesia_eucharistia_en.html

The last poster is perfectly right:

look at the passages from Ecclesia de Eucharistia (EdE) which I underlined:

“At every celebration of the Eucharist, we are spiritually brought back to the paschal Triduum: to the events of the evening of Holy Thursday, to the Last Supper and to what followed it.” EdE #3

“What is repeated is its memorial celebration, its “commemorative representation” (memorialis demonstratio),17 which makes Christ’s one, definitive redemptive sacrifice always present in time.” EdE #12

““the Eucharistic Sacrifice, while always offered in a particular community, is never a celebration of that community alone. In fact, the community, in receiving the Eucharistic presence of the Lord, receives the entire gift of salvation and shows, even in its lasting visible particular form, that it is the image and true presence of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church”.79” EdE #39

The references are to the paragraphs in Ecclesia de Eucharistia, the footnotes within the quotes lead you to Mediator Dei (footnote 17) and Communionis notio (footnote 79).

Thank you everyone! I didn't think about searching the Vatican web site...duh! :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.