Can someone please explain this to me?

Why is this cross inverted?

I presume you posted a picture- it’s not visible on my browser so I’m only guessing it’s a Petrine symbol- because according to a tradition, St. Peter was crucified upside down since he did not deem himself worthy to be put to death in the same way as Christ.

I can see the pictures. Yeah, it shows Pope John Paul II sitting on a gray chair with the ‘upside down’ cross.

The chair is the Chair of Saint Peter (figuratively, I mean it didn’t belong to St. Peter obviously). When St. Peter was martyrd they tried to crucify him, but he begged them not to put him to death in the manner they did his Lord - St. Peter didn’t feel worthy, so they inverted the cross and crucified him upside down instead. Many fundamentalist Christians see the upside down cross as a sign of Satan. Catholics see it as a sign of St. Peter.

Oh, thank you very much.

Could you by any chance post or direct me to the source of that information? And the person who said it?

Origen (who wrote about AD 230):
“Peter appears to have preached through Pontus, Galatia, Bithynia, Cappadocia, and Asia, to the Jews that were scattered abroad; who also, finally coming to Rome, was crucified with his head downward, having requested of himself to suffer in this way” (Ecclesiastical History 3:1).

Its is inverted because Peter was crucified upside down.I am sure you will find this hard to believe but we actually have Protestants come into these forums and claim it is a Satanic symbol!!! Can you imagine anything so ridicolous?

I know - googled and found such sites:D . I thought people are trying to see Jesus in others; but some try so hard to make everything look devil even a cross - they had forgotten that Peter was crucified up-side-down.

They would call Pope John Paul II anti Christ.

PS: when someone happens to be at the South Pole, make sure you have your cross up-side-down, because to me - from the North pole, your cross will be in “correct” postion - and not a Satanic one. :smiley:

I found a site that acknowledged that St. Paul was indeed beheaded but St. Peter was NOT crucified upside-down, “as Catholics claim” because it wasn’t corroborated with Scripture (as if the Bible is the ONLY historical text!!).
Yet they make NO mention of the fact that St. Paul’s death is not recorded in scripture either!!

Well yea, I can imagine. Unless one is catholic they do not know how the upside down cross works. If I wear one that way the general population understands it as satanism. It is seen as a opposition to God to be upside down inside out and awful.

So when one hears stories about Catholics and sees this upside down cross of course, what would they think? Peter upside down isnt going to pop into the head first, sorry its not. The idea was hijacked and it was stolen, so steal it back. :shrug:

If I was Catholic Id explain it that satanists stole (yet another) Holy symbol of Christians and have tried to turn it unHoly. That satan never stops and we need to be aware of his evil tricks.

Then close their mouth and buy them a coffee :wink:

Barbitone,

As others have said - St. Peter was crucified upside down because he didn’t feel worthy to be crucified like Jesus. And since Pope John Paul the Second did (and H.H. Pope Benedict XVI does now) control the See of St. Peter the seat represents St. Peter.

Catholig

Protestants who think the upside-down cross is a Satanic symbol may simply have not done their research. An upside-down crucifix is indeed a satanic symbol.

Jeremy

very good!

Catholig

I guess we can thank Hollywood for this misunderstanding.

Isn’t it just a tad satanic to display the symbol that is identified with the suffering and murder of someone whether it is inverted or not? You say it symbolizes his good will in that he sacrificed himself for your sins or what not but it does seem a bit morbid. Isn’t it a bit like going up to Jackie Onasis with a little sniper rifle pendant around your neck? “Just keepin’ the memory alive”. Jesus!

Why not wear a love heart symbol or something. That WAS the main message anyhow wasn’t it? Love? Not crucifixtion.

I also find it a little disturbing that people symbolically drink his blood and eat his flesh! Come on. What’s going on here. You don’t need any of this behavior.

Also, who exactly was there at St Peter’s murder to document all this stuff? What makes you believe their word? And why would someone that is about to torture and kill you care about your hang ups about the way in which you are killed. Sorry, but it doesn’t add up to me. You don’t have to believe everything you read in “Holy Scriptures”. At some point this stuff was written by human hands. I don’t understand how you can trust this stuff so easily…
Have fun at the “Feast of the Precious Blood”.:eek:

Are you a Christian? Because if you are, you wear a cross which is associated with the suffering and murder of someone. And the inverted cross is not only a reminder of the saint who gave his life rather than deny Christ, but further a reminder of his humility, as he was put on a cross upside-down since he said he was not deserving to die in the same manner as his Lord and Savior.

It looks like you are extremely disappointed to find out that those “Catholics are satanic” websites you’ve been visiting turned out to be giving you fake information about Catholicism.

I also find it a little disturbing that people symbolically drink his blood and eat his flesh! Come on. What’s going on here. You don’t need any of this behavior.

Oh, it’s not symbolic. Apparently, you are not familiar with Transubstantiation. This “behavior” is scriptural and was a gift given to us by Jesus at The Last Supper. I can see you have little to know knowledge about Catholicism, so I’ll share this site with you for starters:

scripturecatholic.com/the_eucharist.html

If you can tone the hysteria down a little, there are plenty of Catholics here who can help you with your questions.

According to Origen, an Early Church Father,"“Peter was crucified at Rome with his head downwards, as he himself had desired to suffer”.

And why would someone that is about to torture and kill you care about your hang ups about the way in which you are killed.

My guess would be to make a mockery of him.

You don’t have to believe everything you read in “Holy Scriptures”.

We believe that the deposit of faith was passed down to us in both written and oral form. The Canon was not set for several centuries after Christ’s death.

At some point this stuff was written by human hands.

Indeed it was. Written by human hands, inspired by the Holy Spirit. I guarantee you that we do not believe the Bible fell from the sky, in a tidy little package with a bow, printed and bound.

I don’t understand how you can trust this stuff so easily…

O.K. But I didn’t ask you to come here. You chose to. When you signed up you agreed, as a non-Catholic, to be respectful of our faith in your posts (whether or not you agree with it).

Have fun at the “Feast of the Precious Blood”.:eek:

Sarcasm doesn’t make your lack of knowledge of the Catholic faith any more amusing.

There are many “feasts” in the Catholic Church. For instance, the Feast of Christ’s Mass (Christmas). I think you misunderstand the meaning of “feast” in Catholicism.

Feast Days, or Holy Days, are days which are celebrated in commemoration of the sacred mysteries and events recorded in the history of our redemption, in memory of the Virgin Mother of Christ, or of His apostles, martyrs, and saints, by special services and rest from work. A feast not only commemorates an event or person, but also serves to excite the spiritual life by reminding us of the event it commemorates.

newadvent.org/cathen/06021b.htm

Well if it’s Satanic then a lot of Catholics and non-catholics are displaying crosses, and the Crucifix ? a symbol of death, and life.

Symbolically ?

I think I know where this thread is going. :highprayer:

John 6:54 Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. 55 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.

I’m sorry Eden. I don’t mean dis-respect. Your right about me not knowing anything about the Catholic religion. That’s why I’m here.
I stand for unconditional love and god by any name.

I haven’t read any “Catholics are Satanic” websites. I didn’t realize there were such sites. (and by the way, I’m not Christian)
I don’t appreciate anyone attacking people in any way, shape or form.

I just have a hard time with getting my head around this stuff. I don’t like seeing kids getting brought up in any religious way because they don’t get a chance to make up their own mind.

I don’t understand why there is one book that was written (not very long ago) that is the “right one”, while there are numerous others that are even older and have many good things to say but those are the wrong ones.

Everyone has the right to choose what they believe. But I usually find that the majority of people that belong to an organised religion were either born into it and therefore have never really had the chance to know anything else, or they had something horrible happen to them in their lives and they have found “salvation” in Jesus Christ.

If the same person was brought up in a Jewish family for instance, that child would most probably end up Jewish. Or if something horrible happened to them and they were offered help by the Jewish community they would find salvation in that religion. Know what I mean?

It just doesn’t feel very spiritual to me. Religion feels more like the bottle which contains your spirituality. An extension of government. Government for your soul. And the amount of people that have died in the name of religion is massive. Again, I’m not having a go. This is just what comes to my mind. From the things that I know, which is all I can go by. I know there are many good things in the Bible but then you can find these same attributes in many different places. I just believe people should have absolute freedom. Mind, body and soul.

I’ll try to have a look through the site you posted up for me, but there is a mighty wack of it there. It kind of just confuses me…

Thank you for your time. It is much appreciated. God bless.

Could you please give me your interpretation of this passage above for me then? Why is it not symbolic? The wine is symbolic of his blood, and the biscuit is symbolic of his flesh is it not? Again, no disrespect. I’m not calling anything satanic I’m just addressing things I have always wondered about and others have mentioned also. Give me some good come backs for me to tell them.:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.