Can someone please explain this??

This past weekend I heard mention at my partners church (SDA) the word “Justification” I am not at all sure of it’s meaning, as I didn’t pay too much attention to it. Also, that I was there merely as an observer. It did however pique my curiousity. Anyone help me with this??
Thanks ever so much,
~ Kathy ~

Of course, your SDA friends may mean something different when they use the word justification, but the Glossary of the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) says:JUSTIFICATION: The gracious action of God which frees us from sin and communicates “the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ” (Romans 3:22). Justification is not only the remission of sins, but also the sanctification and renewal of the interior man (CCC 1987-1989).

I understand justification as what happens to us when we are moved by God’s grace to believe in Jesus Christ and are baptized, our past sins are forgiven, we receive the Holy Spirit, and we enter the state of grace.

Hi-

Justification is the process by which one is justified or made just in the truest sense (God determines we are just, not a court of law). It means that in the moral context of right and wrong we have no wrongs attributed to us. It is as if we had never done anything wrong and had lived a perfect life. No human is born just . This is because of original sin. In addition, our own sins throughout our life further corrupt us. There is nothing that we can do, OF OURSELVES, to remedy this situation: Rom3:23 “…all have sinned and are deprived of the glory of god” and Rom 3:26 “For the wages of sin is death…” It is only by Gods Grace (God’s UNWARRANTED love) that we are able to become justified. This is what Christ died to accomplish: the forgiveness of our sins so that we could share in eternal life. John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his only son so that whoever believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life”

Hope this helps

Phil

Sorry, the second verse is Romans 6:23 not 3:26 :o

Phil

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.