Can someone please explain

I see a lot of Mormons debating Catholics but I always wonder what is a Mormon, The Book Of Mormon,beliefs and etc? Can someone give me the brief description please:thumbsup:

[quote="ThatOrthodoxGuy, post:1, topic:305182"]
I see a lot of Mormons debating Catholics but I always wonder what is a Mormon, The Book Of Mormon,beliefs and etc? Can someone give me the brief description please:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Articles of Faith
We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

[/quote]

We believe that God has revealed more of his word to man. One of these books of scriptures is called the Book of Mormon. It is a history of a people that lived on the American Contentant. The history covers from 600 BC to 400 AD. It talkes of several groups over different periods of time coming from the old world. The main group came over 600 years BC. They had their prophets and it talks of the dealings God had with them. One of the most important events was the appearance of Christ after his death and resurrection in the old world.

The Book of Mormon is called the Book of Mormon because of the prophet Mormon who as commanded by the Lord to take all the writtings of the prophets in that part of the world and abridge it so the people of our day could learn and know that Christ is the savior of all mankind no matter where they are.

As I understand it off the top of my head:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS or Mormons for short) believe that sometime in the early church there was a "Great Apostacy" in which Christians lost their way to the true teachings of Jesus and God. They believe a man named Joseph Smith (a known con man) became a prophet when he ha a vision of Jesus and God the Father (as two separate beings). In this vision he asked Jesus and God the Father which church he should attend, as in which was the most correct. Jesus and God the Father told him that none had the truth and that he was to start his own church. He was later told by an angel where the location of golden tablets which contained the "new gospel" which had the "correct" teachings. These tablets got there by a tribe of Israelites that left the middle east some time before the "Great Apostacy".

Joseph Smith supposedly found and took these golden tablets and "translated" them, but he could only do so when they were within a hat. This became the Book of Mormon.

As for what they believe:

God the Father was once a human like us, but on a different planet or universe, and came to godhood after having lived as an orthodox Mormon. After gaining godhood he created the humans of Earth. And in a discussion, chose Jesus, God's Son, as the savior of mankind. Lucifer, Jesus' brother, was jealous and took 1/3 of the angels (who were to become human) to temp humans away from God the Father.

They believe the Holy Spirit (or Holy Ghost as they typically call Him) is more of a "force" and not a part of the Godhead as we believe and understand. They do not believe in the Trinity.

They believe in baptism of the dead (baptizing the dead as Mormon)

They have "holy" undergarments they wear to the temple (though I've never gotten confirmation of this)

There are a number of other things they believe that contradict what Catholic, Orthodox, Protestants, and Anglicans (including Episcopalians) believe.

youtube.com/watch?v=LdCEJISKWHc

Unfortunately, the video is accurate. It is not propaganda, they really believe this stuff. When they profess their articles of faith they will usually use language that seems more orthodox friendly, but they mean something different than orthodoxy. For example, they may say that they believe that Jesus is the "literal son" of the "literal father." They reject a trinity, believe Jesus was a separate God from Elohim, who is his literal father, etc. etc. It's all in the video.

We had a friend who stayed with us who was mormon. He did have "certain garments" he had to wear to services and even though I did his laundry he had undergarments he would wash himself, apparently no one else is supposed to wash them but the owner. We never really got into big discussions about his faith but one red flag to me is the women and men are separted during services and preached to differently. I think any religion that won't let men and women worship together is hiding something personally. He also believed that a women can only get as high in heaven as her husband. Wow, so if you married a messed up individual even though you were a saint, too bad. I have heard even kookier things but not sure how believable they are. He said he hasn't "gotten that far" yet in church doctrine to share everything????

He was an incredibly nice, honest, down to earth guy. A real sweetheart that would do anything for our family though.

[quote="nhamm10, post:6, topic:305182"]
We had a friend who stayed with us who was mormon. He did have "certain garments" he had to wear to services and even though I did his laundry he had undergarments he would wash himself, apparently no one else is supposed to wash them but the owner. We never really got into big discussions about his faith but one red flag to me is the women and men are separted during services and preached to differently. I think any religion that won't let men and women worship together is hiding something personally. He also believed that a women can only get as high in heaven as her husband. Wow, so if you married a messed up individual even though you were a saint, too bad. I have heard even kookier things but not sure how believable they are. He said he hasn't "gotten that far" yet in church doctrine to share everything????

He was an incredibly nice, honest, down to earth guy. A real sweetheart that would do anything for our family though.

[/quote]

I used to follow a blogger on Youtube who is Mormon, and on a few occasions he had his camera on during services and the men and woman were together (he was with is wife and kids, one of whom was likely doing something funny he wanted to catch on video). Maybe it depends on the sect? Location? Or orthodoxy of the church?

[quote="nhamm10, post:6, topic:305182"]

[/quote]

Allow me to clarify some things:

1) The "garments" refer to the Garment of the Holy Priesthood, called "garments" for short. This is religious clothing that is worn under regular clothes. It is white, which symbolizes purity, and has a few markings that refer to various things related to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This garment is received during a sacred ceremony that occurs in our temples, known as the Endowment. In this rite, Latter-day Saints are washed, anointed, learn more about God's plan for our eternal happiness, and enter into various covenants with God. The Garment is a personal reminder to the Latter-day Saint of those covenants.

ldsfaq.byu.edu/viewQuestion.aspx?view=91ec81f5-f806-460e-9565-c4c4fa09c818
ldschurchtemples.com/mormon/underwear/

2) In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, men and women worship together. Our primary meeting on Sundays, in our chapels, is called Sacrament Meeting, which is essentially a Communion service. Here, we pray, sing hymns, bless and partake of bread and water in remembrance of Christ's atoning sacrifice, and listen to various sermons (known as "talks") by members of the congregation. Women and men sit together (including as families) and worship together.

After Sacrament Meeting, there is Sunday School, where Latter-day Saints study the scriptures together (each year is dedicated to one volume of scripture, i.e. the Old Testament, the New Testament, the Book of Mormon, the Pearl of Great Price, and the Doctrine and Covenants).

After Sunday School, women, men, boys, and girls, divide amongst themselves into various classes.

In the temple, during the Endowment rite, men sit on one side of the instructional room, while women sit on the other side, and are instructed together at the same time.

youtube.com/watch?v=g1Qcl4bFaFA&feature=player_embedded

3) Latter-day Saints believe that we are saved as families. We believe that 1 Corinthians 11:11 points to this ("11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord."). Some critics frequently make the claim that the woman needs the man, as if it is all up to him, however this is incorrect. Both the woman and the man are saved together, and neither can be coerced into doing something they do not want to do. The woman has as much say as the man.

Hope that helps.

[quote="ApologiaSophia, post:5, topic:305182"]
youtube.com/watch?v=LdCEJISKWHc

Unfortunately, the video is accurate. It is not propaganda, they really believe this stuff. When they profess their articles of faith they will usually use language that seems more orthodox friendly, but they mean something different than orthodoxy. For example, they may say that they believe that Jesus is the "literal son" of the "literal father." They reject a trinity, believe Jesus was a separate God from Elohim, who is his literal father, etc. etc. It's all in the video.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, the video is inaccurate. It is propaganda, and twists our beliefs. Even a number of critics recognize the inaccuracy of that video.

fairlds.org/authors/scharffs-gilbert/the-truth-about-the-god-makers
en.fairmormon.org/Criticism_of_Mormonism/Video/The_God_Makers/Cartoon

"The non-denomination National Council of Christians and Jews wrote:

The film does not - in our opinion - fairly portray the Mormon Church, Mormon history, or Mormon belief. It makes extensive use of "half-truth," faulty generalizations, erroneous interpretations, and sensationalism. It is not reflective of the genuine spirit of the Mormon faith. 

We find particularly offensive the emphasis in the film that Mormonism is some sort of subversive plot - a danger to the community, a threat to the institution of marriage, and is destructive to the mental health of teenagers. All of our experience with our Mormon neighbors provides eloquent refutation of these charges. 

We are of the opinion that The Godmakers relies heavily on appeals to fear, prejudice and other less worthy human emotions. We believe that continued use of this film poses genuine danger to the climate of good will and harmony which currently exists between…neighbors of differing faiths. It appears to us to be a basically unfair and untruthful presentation of what Mormons really believe and practice. "

[quote="LivingWaters7, post:9, topic:305182"]
Unfortunately, the video is inaccurate. It is propaganda, and twists our beliefs. Even a number of critics recognize the inaccuracy of that video.

fairlds.org/authors/scharffs-gilbert/the-truth-about-the-god-makers
en.fairmormon.org/Criticism_of_Mormonism/Video/The_God_Makers/Cartoon

"The non-denomination National Council of Christians and Jews wrote:

The film does not - in our opinion - fairly portray the Mormon Church, Mormon history, or Mormon belief. It makes extensive use of "half-truth," faulty generalizations, erroneous interpretations, and sensationalism. It is not reflective of the genuine spirit of the Mormon faith. 

We find particularly offensive the emphasis in the film that Mormonism is some sort of subversive plot - a danger to the community, a threat to the institution of marriage, and is destructive to the mental health of teenagers. All of our experience with our Mormon neighbors provides eloquent refutation of these charges. 

We are of the opinion that The Godmakers relies heavily on appeals to fear, prejudice and other less worthy human emotions. We believe that continued use of this film poses genuine danger to the climate of good will and harmony which currently exists between…neighbors of differing faiths. It appears to us to be a basically unfair and untruthful presentation of what Mormons really believe and practice. "

[/quote]

But nothing said that the things that were in the video were untrue. It talked about how certain things were presented in a biased light, to create :shock value" but I didn't notice anything that said any of the doctrinal claims in the video were false. Maybe I did not read your links carefully enough. What, specifically, was said in the video that you disagree with as far as being taught by the LDS? Can you point to something said in the video where you can say that is inaccurate or a lie? If you can could you present me with the correct information?

[/quote]

Someone posted here an excellent documentary on the start of the Mormon faith, long but good. I can't find it, perhaps someone will remember it.

Fr. Andrew S. Damick of the Antiochian Orthodox Church did a good podcast series on various non-Orthodox churches and religions, including a bit on Mormonism in one of the two non-mainstream Christians episodes. It is quite good, if you are looking for an answer to this question from an Eastern Orthodox perspective. The portion on Mormonism begins in the audio file at the above link at approximately 21 minutes into the talk.

[quote="Fatboys, post:2, topic:305182"]
Articles of Faith
We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

[/quote]

Sounds a lot like a CREED.

oh..it is good and nice that you watch it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.