Can someone please tell me what the book of revelation is about

I am coming from a very baptist background. I have been told that catholics do not believe in the rapture. Please help me out with this one..

I might be able to provide some insight into this.

Catholic beliefs regarding endtimes is Amillennialism :forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=510860

I think the link is a good place to first consult.

Revelations was also written in Byzantine style, so its language is rich with symbolism. Many of the writings were not meant to be taken completely literally; for instance the “whore of Babylon” is a representation.

I can understand that coming from a Baptist background, you were used to taking things very literally and using that interpretation as the foundation of your faith. However, Catholicism teaches that we look at scripture through various contexts, not just literal.

The Book of Revelation is probably about several things. Immediate prophecies and things that might happen in the future. It tells the story of he rebellion of Lucifer. I don’t think we can read it as a chronological narrative about one thing. S. Hahn has a book ‘Lamb’s supper’ and says that many things in the Book of Revelation are about the Holy Mass.

You need to begin bible study using good, Catholic resources. Talk to your priest or RCIA instructor.

Revelation is not the place to start. It is apocalyptic literature, full of symbolism and written in a pseudo-code to elude the Romans.

I would suggest you read Scott Hahn's The Lamb's Supper, which is about the book or Revelation, but not a direct bible study of it.

Then get a good bible study such as the Ignatius bible study of the new testament, and work your way there.

[quote="spunjalebi, post:2, topic:225087"]
I can understand that coming from a Baptist background, you were used to taking things very literally and using that interpretation as the foundation of your faith. However, Catholicism teaches that we look at scripture through various contexts, not just literal.

[/quote]

There is no denomination which takes the entire Bible literally. Every denomination picks and chooses sections they take literally or figuratively or symbolically or allegorically. For example, most protestant denominations do not take the bread of life discourse in John literally, or Jesus instruction to take disagreements to the Church for resolution literally. (This is hard for protestants because if the dispute is about say, the Eucharist or the interpretation of scripture, which Church do you go to? Jesus direction implies a physical Church on earth with real authority that can be relied on to rule correctly. )

More fundamentally, without the authority of the Church- what do you cite as the authority for deciding what constitutes scripture? Martin Luther eliminated several (I think 7?) books, the apocrypha, from scripture. He also modified the accepted interpretation of several key passages. Do you believe he was correct?

In considering the Church teachings on things like the rapture, I trust the authority given to the Church by Christ.

I was raised Southern Baptist and I'll just repeat the good suggestions already given here of picking up a copy of Scott Hahn's The Lamb's Supper! My husband and I read it out loud together and it's a great book!

I'd also recommend The Lambs Supper by Scott Hahn, and also a CD by Lighthouse Catholic Media, The Book of Revelation by Scott Barber.

Revelation is filled with imagery. The main theme is Jesus is coming. And to quote Scott Barber, " You can't read the Book of Revelation without reading what comes before it", meaning the rest of the Bible.

I have heard a lot about these books and would love to read them. I have checked my local library and they leave a lot to be desired. Is there anywhere I can get these books to read either rent or checking them out or if someone has them and wouldn’t mind letting me borrow them. I am on a very strict budget b/c we do not have a lot of money coming in right now. I really want to learn more.

[quote="w0231136, post:8, topic:225087"]
I have heard a lot about these books and would love to read them. I have checked my local library and they leave a lot to be desired. Is there anywhere I can get these books to read either rent or checking them out or if someone has them and wouldn't mind letting me borrow them. I am on a very strict budget b/c we do not have a lot of money coming in right now. I really want to learn more.

[/quote]

Ask your local library about their inter-library loan program. They might be affiliated with other libraries and can get you the book through their affiliation.

[quote="1ke, post:9, topic:225087"]
Ask your local library about their inter-library loan program. They might be affiliated with other libraries and can get you the book through their affiliation.

[/quote]

I did check that. They just don't have them, but they have lots of books on other religions. I live in the bible belt and there is only 1 catholic church in a 15-20 mile radius but there are nearly 50 baptist churches.

[quote="w0231136, post:1, topic:225087"]
I am coming from a very baptist background. I have been told that catholics do not believe in the rapture. Please help me out with this one..

[/quote]

Go to this site and scroll down about halfway and there is information about "The Rapture".

catholic.com/library/Rapture.asp

The rapture was a mistaken interpretation that came out in the 1800's.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.