Can someone use the holy water before they are a Catholic?

I’ll be going to mass this weekend for the first time, and I’m not sure if I can partake of the holy water when I haven’t even been to my first RCIA class. Because if I understand it right, blessing yourself is a renewal of your baptism. And currently, I am not baptized. Please tell me what you think CAF

Yes :thumbsup: everything but the sacraments.

Holy Water is a sacramental, non-Catholics are free to use sacramentals, such as holy water and scapulars. if you are a Christian (not mormon or jehovah) and have been baptized in the name of the Father and the Son and Holy Spirit you are free to use it.

this question has already been asked and answered…

oh yeah and welcom to CAF :D:D:D

Those who have been baptized use it in commemoration of their Baptism. Those who are preparing for baptism use it in anticipation of their coming Baptism. We always encourage all the RCIA to use it.

…and by the way, you can receive ashes on Ash Wednesday, make the sign of the cross, pray the Rosary or the Way of the Cross, participate in the Liturgy of the Hours, and do lots of other Catholic things!

Sure, and you can sing, exchange a sign of peace, genuflect, kneel and stand along with everybody else if you wish. But also don’t think that you’re required to do any of that. You can just listen and watch and take it all in at first if that’s what you need to do. But do feel free to help us wax the pews, collect canned goods for the food pantry, work at the bazaar…:smiley:

You said you are protestant in your religion section but are becoming catholic. even though you are protestant you have never been baptised.

Perhaps you don’t know it, but a lot of protestants have never been baptized, some denominations and churches just don’t consider it that essential.

You might find it interesting to know that many baptists are among those that don’t require prompt baptism.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.