Can someone who rejects the Gospel be saved?

Is there any support from Church Teaching that a person who has heard the Gospel message, but does not believe, can be saved?

Mark 16:15-16

And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to the whole creation. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned…"

8 Likes

No. Willful rejection of the Gospel is damning.

4 Likes

‘But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the polluted, as for murderers, fornicators, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their lot shall be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur, which is the second death.’ - Rev 21:8

3 Likes

If you don’t believe the Gospel, why would you believe in the need for salvation?

5 Likes

Sorry to sound harsh.

In some countries the bible has not been taught, so how can they know any different.

Many lives have been lost preaching the word of God.

If you have heard and rejected.

Why do you worry about being saved?

It makes no sense sir.

I believe.

We don’t know if that person may have a different mindset a year from now, 5 years from now, or in 20 years.

My dad at the age of 79 got the report of cancer and he called me to pick him up to go to church. He went every Sunday that he could before he died. He had no previous interest in church stuff and it rubbed him the wrong way when I started to attend in my 20s.

The difficulties and tragedies of life can make a person think about eternal things. Their hearts can be softened, and believers can offer prayers and sacrifices for the conversion of sinners and peace in this world as our Blessed Mother asked at Fatima. We can be a force for good.

5 Likes

I’m glad your father believed. My question is about those who have heard the Gospel, yet do not believe to the end.

And I dont think it’s a mindset to believe. It’s a matter of the heart.

To the end. That was not clear.
What do you think the answer is?

Jesus said that ‘when you did it to the least of these, you did it to me.’ Perhaps the person extended mercy in their life and Christ then extends them mercy, as found in the gospel of Matthew.

Matt 25: 31-46 Sheep and the goats
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

3 Likes

Yes, through invincible ignorance because that can mean having heard the Gospel but perhaps having it discredited by anothers testimony of by the bad example of Christians around them.

2 Likes

A person who is ignorant of the gospel of Christ and his Church through no fault of his own (or, by extension, through his merely venial fault) can be saved- if he otherwise does what is required for salvation, according to the level of opportunity, enlightenment, and grace God gives him (CCC 847, 1260).

1 Like

Saved from what?

It’s good to consider where your question is coming from sometimes. If you have this person who has heard the entire Gospel message, but does not believe it, does he even believe he needs to be saved? What if he asked you, “Saved from what?”

The Gospel presumes a thorough knowledge of the Jews’ longing for a savior, a Messiah, manifest in the old testament. Why were they looking for and longing for a savior? If a man knows the answer to that question, but rejects it and refuses to believe what is said, can he be saved?

Better phrased, if a man does not believe a credible witness and rejects (i.e., throws away) the help he needs in his nature, can he be helped?

Saved from Original Sin.

Where are you getting your beliefs?

I’d ask you, what is the Gospel?

1 Like

With all due respect, is English your native language? Those were questions you need to consider the answer to.

If a man does not believe in original sin, which is part of the Gospel message, if he believes there is nothing to be saved from, can he be saved?

If you, for example, do not believe someone is holding a door open for you, will you walk through?

The point I am making is that the answer is obvious from natural reasoning.

Invincible Ignorance

Lack of knowledge, either of fact or law, for which a person is not morally responsible. This may be due to the difficulty of the object of the knowledge, or scarcity of evidence, or insufficient time or talent in the person, or any other factor for which he is not culpable.

I’m talking about rejecting and not believing. I’m not talking about not having the complete history of God’s relationship with man.

If you consider knowledge of Original Sin a necessary part of accepting the Gospel, and someone learns about it, but believes there is nothing to be forgiven for, then how is that invincible ignorance?

Invincible ignorance doeant mean someone rejects what they have learned of the Gospel message. It means they have not learned the Gospel message. Thus, they are ignorant of it.

1 Like

Obviously, a person who learns the Gospel, learns in stages. It requires seeking. Rejecting and not believing, is not seeking. Man has a responsibility to seek out what is being delivered to him (or available to him), before rejecting. It’s natural.

Your premise was someone who knows/has heard the Gospel, yet does not believe it. That includes knowledge of original sin and the old testament. It makes discussion difficult when you raise the bar as you go along.

My point is that by natural reasoning alone you can get your answer. The person knows and refuses to believe.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.