Can statues of Mary be outside?

Is it appropriate to display statues of Mary outside like in garden or otherwise. Family discussion has brought different culture guidance. Priest in Mexico have informed my family that it is not appropriate; yet, I was raised in the U.S. and have seen Mary in gardens and in front, back yards and church grottoes. I have one in my front flowerbed with roses in her honor. Your clarification is appreciated. Thank you and God bless.

The Church does not have any stipulations that a statue can’t be outside. After all, statues of Sts. Peter and Paul are outdoors at St. Peter’s Square.
As for statues of Mary: La Salette shrines usually have its statue of Mary outdoors; Knock, Ireland has a statue of Mary at the foot of the cross outdoors; Lourdes, France has a a statue of Mary outdoors inside a section of a rock.

If you can have a statue in your home, I fail to see why you couldn’t have one in your yard. Its simply a matter of being sure the statue is cared for and not simply abandoned to the elements to decay.

However, there may be a cultural norm at play here. Perhaps where culturally this priest is from it is considered disrespectful. In that case, cultural sensitivity should prevail should you be living in that area.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.