Can the devil read our minds?

My wife, who is not Catholic, is in a bible study and the study guide they are using says that you have to tell the devil out loud to leave you alone because he can’t read your mind.

We discussed this and I though I had some good answers, but I would like to hear other comments. She follows a “scripture only” Christian tradition, so specific passages would be really helpful. Thanks.

Well, we know that the devil is pure spirit - a fallen angel. So I guess the first question I had reading this post was - if the devil doesn’t have ears, how can he hear you tell him anything?

I do think your question is an interesting one. For instance, there’s some evidence in Christ’s temptations in the desert that Satan didn’t know Christ was divine and was trying to tempt Him into revealing the nature of His connection with God (as well as sinning, of course).

I don’t think that Satan has the same kind of access to the depths of our souls that God does, but I think that the fallen angels, as spiritual beings, could very well have senses that they use to some effect when looking at souls.

Sorry, my speculations probably aren’t much help! But I couldn’t resist chiming in - this is really something interesting to think about. Has your wife read Lewis’ Screwtape Letters?

It’d be really interesting if angels (fallen or not) could impart interior impressions (temptations or exhortations to virtue) but couldn’t sense our interior states. I.e., they could talk but not listen. Hmm… I wonder?

I do not know of any scripture to back up that claim, however I do remember reading that though it is true that God’s angels and the fallen angels can not read our minds, they are intelligent beings and are supposedly very “in tune” with human thoughts and feelings. By observing and just knowing human nature it is probably not too difficult for these beings to figure us out!

Here is some help from the Catechism of the Catholic Church

330 As pure spiritual creatures angels have intelligence and will: they are personal and immortal creatures, surpassing in perfection all visible creatures, as the splendor of their glory bears witness.

Angels cannot read our minds or know our heart, only God can.

So devils, being spiritual creatures

395 The power of Satan is, nontheless, not infinite. He is only a creature, powerful from the fact that he is pure spirit, but still a creature. He cannot prevent the building up of God’s reign. Although Satan may act in the world our of hatred for God and his kingdom in Christ Jesus, and although his actions may cause grave injuries–of a spiritual nature and, indirectly, even of a physical nature–to each man and to society, the action is permitted by divine providence which with strength and gentleness guides human and cosmic history. It is a great mystery that providence should permit diabolical activity, but we know that in everything God works for good with those how love him.

Fr Bro.
(Edwin 1961 brother)

akording to father Portea in his book SVMMA DAEMONIACA

the demons are so wise but they dont have the power of reading minds (thank God)

here are some links:
www.fotea.us

www.fortea.ws

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.