Can the Holy Spirit "nudge" people do certain things? Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

Yes, He nudged me over the period of several years to go to church (and I was not even a Christian). I then found myself in Borders Books, in the Religion section looking at books about Christianity, and reading Bibles.

I agree with the previous poster. I believe the Holy Spirit nudged me to become Catholic. I was very happily an Evangelical Chrisitian - becoming Catholic was the LAST thing on my mind. I began reading books about the Catholic faith so I could witness to my Catholic friends and I felt VERY nudged - more like hit over the head - to convert to the Church.

I’ve been eternally grateful ever since - no pun intended. :smiley:

Yes, and the Holy Spirit is very very patient. Knocked me to my knees at exactly the right moment in my life.

Hope this is helpful…Pax Christi

A PRAYER TO THE HOLY SPIRIT (By Cardinal Mercier)**

It was written by Désiré-Joseph Cardinal Mercier (1851–1926). Cardinal Mercier wrote this prayer on the back of a holy picture while on pilgrimage at the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham in England. In 1926, while preaching a retreat, he offered a little commentary on it:

*I am going to reveal to you the secret of sanctity and happiness. Every day for five minutes control your imagination and close your eyes to all the noises of the world in order to enter into yourself. Then, in the sanctuary of your baptized soul (which is the temple of the Holy Spirit) speak to that Divine Spirit, saying to Him: *

O Holy Spirit, beloved of my soul, I adore You. Enlighten me, guide me, strengthen me, console me.** Tell me what I should do; give me Your orders. I promise to submit myself to all that You desire of me and to accept all that You permit to happen to me. Let me only know Your Will. .**

[quote]*If you do this, your *

lifewill* flow along happily, serenely, and full of consolation, even in the midst of trials. Gracewill be proportioned to the trial, giving you the strength to carry it and you will arrive at the Gate of Paradise, laden with merit. This submission to the Holy Spirit is the secret of sanctity. *

[INDENT]******
Désiré-Félicien-François-Joseph Mercier (November 21, 1851 – January 23, 1926) was a Belgian Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church. He served as Archbishop of Mechelen from 1906 until his death, and was elevated to the cardinalate in 1907. Mercier is noted for his staunch resistance to the German occupation of 1914, and is considered to have been the mentor of Leo Cardinal Suenens.
[/INDENT]
[/quote]

I think its hard to tell sometimes what is the Holy Spirit and what is temptation. That’s why we need to use our reason to see if what the Holy Spirit is encouraging us to do is in line with what the Bible says. For example, feeling an urge to write a diary. I felt this urge and thought it was the Holy Spirit but then found myself writing inappropriate things. I then abandoned the diary. But then, sometimes I feel the urge to give to the poor. This would be the Holy Spirit. But how do I know? Because of what it says in the Bible about treating the least of us as if he were God Himself. So I think it takes both the Holy Spirit and the Bible for God to speak to us. Unless you are having an outright religious experience where you hear the voice of the Holy Spirit.

I believe that “nudging” people is one of His main jobs.

He doesn’t make you do anything against your will, and doesn’t possess you like a demon puppet-master.

When I have been open to His promptings and listening carefully, I have acted on little inspirations and marvelous things have happened. Most of the time we’re not listening and lack holy boldness to step out of our comfort zone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.