Can the Homilist do this?

Hello all!

The parish I go to is lacking in ecclesiastical discipline, (from what I’ve noticed) as well as willingness to submit to liturgical regulations. Although, I’ll be the first to admit that I’m NOT an expert on the liturgy, I’m still learning.

Anyways, I noticed that whoever is giving the homily at my parish, descends from the altar and stands with the people and gives the homily there, whilst walking around. It gets rather distracting. Our deacon is especially famous for doing this. He’s all over the place. I can’t help but look down and try to listen, but if I look up I lose all concentration. It’s like he’s putting on a show. Our parish priest does the same, but not to the great extent the deacon does.

Is this kind of thing allowable? I don’t know how anyone can tolerate it. I can tell it has been a new innovation in my parish because it only started within the past 6 or 8 months. Originally, the priest or deacon when giving the homily would stand at the ambo (hope that’s the correct term:confused: ). Should I approach my parish priest about this, if it is an abuse of some type?

In Pax Christi
Andrew

Duplicate topic - see: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=174436

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.