Can the priest change the wording of the Creed?

During the recitation of Creed our priest makes what appear to be gender-neutral edits to the verbiage. Specifically, where we say “For us men and our salvation…” he omits the word “men” and says “For us and our salvation…”

Later where we say “…and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary, and became man” he substitutes the word “flesh” in place of “man.”

At first I merely found it curious, since the parishioners press on according to what is written in the missal. However the more I hear it, the more I find it off-putting and distracting.

Are there any guidelines regarding changes like this? I thought the purpose of the recent updates to the Mass was to provide a closer translation from the Latin? Making the Creed a gender neutral text seems to run counter to that intent.

The following link should help answer your question about the Creed. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Is it o.k. to remove words from the Creed?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.