Can the Rosary be prayed during the EF Low Mass Liturgy?

I'm stuck for an answer. Michelle Arnold on CA says that you probably shouldn't, yet I don't know if she means only for the OF or for the EF as well. Fr. John Zuhlsdorf says that he has no problem with it.

Traditionalist websites say that it is a pious practice and disapprove of the opinion that it should be discouraged:

(Edited)
wdtprs.com/blog/2009/07/quaeritur-rosary-during-mass/
rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2009/07/interior-participation-and-devotions.html

Whilst non-Traditionalist websites say that it should be discouraged, even though it is a pious practice:

eloisvoice.blogspot.com/2010/08/should-one-pray-rosary-during-mass.html
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=4416
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=85409

Your opinion?

I am also divided on this. I would like to learn and see what others have to say.

For once... I have no opinion :p

[quote="NewsTheMan, post:2, topic:263890"]
I am also divided on this. I would like to learn and see what others have to say.

For once... I have no opinion :p

[/quote]

This shall be a fun ride - hopefully not bumpy! :D

[quote="MartyrForJesus, post:1, topic:263890"]
I'm stuck for an answer. Michelle Arnold on CA says that you probably shouldn't, yet I don't know if she means only for the OF or for the EF as well. Fr. John Zuhlsdorf says that he has no problem with it.

Traditionalist websites say that it is a pious practice and disapprove of the opinion that it should be discouraged: Whilst non-Traditionalist websites say that it should be discouraged, even though it is a pious practice:

Your opinion?

[/quote]

I assume you're speaking of this practice at the low mass?

[quote="TrueLight, post:4, topic:263890"]
I assume you're speaking of this practice at the low mass?

[/quote]

Yes, sorry I wasn't very clear.

[quote="MartyrForJesus, post:5, topic:263890"]
Yes, sorry I wasn't very clear.

[/quote]

I just noticed you're in Australia. An Australian accent covers a multitude of sins! :D

Should we not be immersing ourselves in the mystery of the Mass?
Should we not be giving our full attention to all that the Mass is before God, and in the words of the Liturgy, the readings, in the great privilege of the Mass?
There are plenty of times to say the Rosary.

*[size=]*MYSTERIUM FIDEI **[/size]ENCYCLICAL OF POPE PAUL VI

ON THE HOLY EUCHARIST

[FONT=Arial][size=2]2. For if the sacred liturgy holds first place in the life of the Church, then the Eucharistic Mystery stands at the heart and center of the liturgy, since it is the font of life that cleanses us and strengthens us to live not for ourselves but for God and to be united to each other by the closest ties of love. [/size][/FONT]
vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_03091965_mysterium_en.html

"Christ's love towards men was so great that not only was He willing to endure most cruel sufferings for our salvation and an atrocious death on the cross, but also He wished to nourish us eternally in the sacrament of His body and blood. In this way, He might strengthen us by the presence of His divinity and be the safest bulwark of our spiritual life..... He decreed that that same sacrifice which He performed is to redeem the whole human race from the yoke of sin to reconcile all things in heaven and earth, and to remain until the consummation of the world. He decreed that it be renewed and take plaice daily by the ministry of the priesthood. Only the reason for the offering is diverse, namely, that the salvific and most abundant fruits of His passion might forever be dispersed upon mankind.

*AMANTISSIMI REDEMPTORIS, ON PRIESTS AND THE CARE OF SOULS, ENCYCLICAL OF POPE PIUS IX *

1. In the unbloody sacrifice of the Mass, celebrated by priests, the same life-giving victim is offered up. This entreaty reconciles us to God the Father. It "renews in a mysterious way the death of Christ, who having risen from the dead dies no longer. Death no longer has domination over Him. Still, He is sacrificed for us in the mystery of this sacred oblation." papalencyclicals.net/Pius09/p9amant1.htm

[quote="Trishie, post:7, topic:263890"]
Should we not be immersing ourselves in the mystery of the Mass?
Should we not be giving our full attention to all that the Mass is before God, and in the words of the Liturgy, the readings, in the great privilege of the Mass?
There are plenty of times to say the Rosary.

[/quote]

I believe that until someone does understand what is going on in an EF mass, that it is perfectly acceptable to pray the rosary instead.

It's true that one does have to study the prayers of the mass in Latin to understand an EF mass, which doesn't take too long, because they are relatively stagnant (in both Forms, for that matter), but it does take a little while.

If anyone is concerned with the conviction that the EF is not a valid and true Mass then it is sinful for them not to write to the Pope and Bishops and Cardinals and inform them that the only kind of Mass that is worth bothering about is any other than EF, which you consider not worthy treating as a Mass that requires full attention of the mind, heart and soul. I think you will find that God finds the Mass that a good priest offers, and that many good Catholics participate in all over the world is pleasing to God. Yes some people like lots of ceremony but this does not mean the Mass is any less to God, even if it is to people.

Whatever the Mass, if it is valid and licit, it deserves a requires a person's full attention of soul mind, and body, and if it does not receive that from individual persons then those people need to truly catechise on what the Mass is before God.Time isn't the issue, the value is, and the value of the Mass, the intrinsic value of the Mass is only very very faintly honoured even in the most elaborate ceremony. The intrinsic value is just as deep, just as cosmic, just as beyond all human thought and understanding.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church

scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c1a3.htm
I. THE EUCHARIST - SOURCE AND SUMMIT OF ECCLESIAL LIFE

1324 The Eucharist is "the source and summit of the Christian life."136 "The other sacraments, and indeed all ecclesiastical ministries and works of the apostolate, are bound up with the Eucharist and are oriented toward it. For in the blessed Eucharist is contained the whole spiritual good of the Church, namely Christ himself, our Pasch."137

1325 "The Eucharist is the efficacious sign and sublime cause of that communion in the divine life and that unity of the People of God by which the Church is kept in being. It is the culmination both of God's action sanctifying the world in Christ and of the worship men offer to Christ and through him to the Father in the Holy Spirit."138

1326 Finally, by the Eucharistic celebration we already unite ourselves with the heavenly liturgy and anticipate eternal life, when God will be all in all.139

1327 In brief, the Eucharist is the sum and summary of our faith: "Our way of thinking is attuned to the Eucharist, and the Eucharist in turn confirms our way of thinking."140

"St. Francis of Assisi (c. 1181-1226), in one of his few extant letters, wrote that "everything in man should halt in awe. Let all the world quake and let Heaven exult when Christ the Son of the Living God is there on the altar in the hands of the priest."

If it's an EF Mass, I shouldn't be in absolute awe of Jesus on the Altar...I should distract myself? Surely no one intends to intimate that!

St Thomas Aquinas wrote,"If in this world there be any knowledge of this Mystery keener than that of faith, I wish now to affirm that I believe in the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in this Sacrament, truly God and truly man, the Son of God, the Son of the Virgin Mary. This I believe and hold for true and certain."

However long or short the Mass, however elaborate or simple, however much ceremony or simplicity so long as holy Mother Church holds it as valid and licit, I will give my whole heart and soul to it.

“You may be sure that anyone who tramples on the Son of God, and who treats the blood of the covenant which sanctified him as if it were not holy will be condemned to a…severer judgement.” (Hebrews 10:29)

“The One that offers Sacrifice is the same One who, after having sacrificed himself on the Cross…to obtain for us eternal redemption…offers Himself now by the ministry of the priest; there is no difference except in the manner of offering.” [Council of Trent, S. 22, c.2]

“For in it Christ perpetuates in an unbloody manner the sacrifice offered on the Cross, offering Himself to the Father for the world’s salvation through the ministry of priests.”[Vatican 2 Documents.9:3]

The priest is offering the Mass. I'm not. 'Active participation' has been totally misunderstood. 'Assisting' at Mass is from the French word 'assister', which means, in French, 'to attend'.

And funnily enough, 'attend' in French means 'to wait upon' i.e. to assist!

See where the vernacular gets you ;)

I bet Paul VI never foresaw people doing the orans posture in the pews or saying the whole Mass. Or handing out Communion. Or orating at funeral Masses!

Time to wind it back a peg or three.

Personally, I couldn't concentrate on a rosary at Mass. Tried it once.

Personally, I don't like to see the Rosary said at mass. It is going to be somewhat distracting.

I don't think one needs to understand what is being said; what is happening is quite clear and if someone really needs to understand what is being said, one can always get a missal.

I had started to get into the habit of saying the Jesus Prayer (Lord Jesus, Son of God, have mercy upon me, a sinner) during the low mass, and even though the prayer is obviously all about Jesus, because I was somewhat focusedf on the beads, it was still a it distracting.

Besides if one doesn't focus on the mass, one will never learn more.

I tried it and couldn't focus on the rosary. But I know people who do pray the rosary during the low mass and it obviously works for them.

[quote="Contra_Mundum, post:13, topic:263890"]
I tried it and couldn't focus on the rosary. But I know people who do pray the rosary during the low mass and it obviously works for them.

[/quote]

Interesting! I would think it would be the other way around -- not being able to focus on the mass!

Personally I don’t and wouldn’t pray the rosary during the Low Mass, but I don’t know of anything official prohibiting it.

imho the mass trumps the Rosary in divine services so your attention should be focused with the Mass. After all you can say the Rosary anytime and anywhere, the Mass is for lack of better wording is...a rationed holy offering.

But I've been known to recite a few decades of the chaplet of DM while the priest cleans his chalice so what do I know.:rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong with it. It's simply a manner for such people to prepare themselves to assist at the Holy Sacrifice and receive Our Lord.. to posit that Our Lady's psalter could take away from that is ridiculous. Assistance at the Holy Sacrifice is all about the heart. If you're heart is not in it it does not matter how loudly you proclaim "Dómine, non sum dignus, ut intres sub tectum meum: sed tantum dic verbo, et sanábitur ánima mea." or how good your Latin is. It will be a sub-standard participation.

I cannot pray the rosary during Mass but I don't doubt that the majority of those who do are much closer to the Holy Sacrifice than my self and I do not doubt that their communions are much better as well.

I hope all those naysayers are not making private acts of faith, hope, charity etc. to prepare themselves for Holy Communion! God forbid! Got to use these that are officially part of the liturgy:

Dómine Jesu Christe, qui dixísti Apóstolis tuis: Pacem relínquo vobis, pacem meam do vobis: ne respícias peccáta mea, sed fidem Ecclésiæ tuæ; eámque secúndum voluntátem tuam pacificáre et coadunáre dignéris: Qui vivis et regnas Deus per ómnia sæcula sæculórum. Amen.

Dómine Jesu Christe, Fili Dei vivi, qui ex voluntáte Patris, cooperánte Spíritu Sancto, per mortem tuam mundum vivificásti: líbera me per hoc sacrosánctum Corpus et Sánguinem tuum ab ómnibus iniquitátibus meis, et univérsis malis: et fac me tuis semper inhærére mandátis, et a te numquam separári permíttas: Qui cum eódem Deo Patre, et Spíritu Sancto vivis et regnas Deus in sæcula sæculórum. Amen.

Percéptio Córporis tui, Dómine Jesu Christe, quod ego indígnus súmere præsúmo, non mihi provéniat in judícium et condemnatiónem: sed pro tua pietáte prosit mihi ad tutaméntum mentis et córporis, et ad medélam percipiéndam: Qui vivis et regnas cum Deo Patre in unitáte Spíritus Sancti Deus, per ómnia sæcula sæculórum. Amen.

[quote="TrueLight, post:14, topic:263890"]
Interesting! I would think it would be the other way around -- not being able to focus on the mass!

[/quote]

When I'm at the low mass the way I focus is more that I immerse myself into what is going on. So I am aware of it but do not always follow in the missal. I thought I'd be able to pray the rosary because of that but it didn't work.

[quote="AnthonyJ, post:15, topic:263890"]
Personally I don't and wouldn't pray the rosary during the Low Mass, but I don't know of anything official prohibiting it.

[/quote]

Here you are : in Marialis Cultus, the encyclical of Paul VI, 1974.

''However, it is a mistake to recite the Rosary during the celebration of the liturgy, though unfortunately this practice still persists here and there'.

[quote="paperwight66, post:19, topic:263890"]
Here you are : in Marialis Cultus, the encyclical of Paul VI.

'However, it is a mistake to recite the Rosary during the celebration of the liturgy'

[/quote]

It was my understanding that we were to consentrate on the mass. I read this in Our sunday Vistor years ago. Thanks paperwight, I am with ya!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.