Can the Third Temple (Jerusalem) be rebuild?

Can the Third Temple be rebuild? Why should it be rebuild? Is not Jesus the New Temple?

I don’t see why a third Temple couldn’t be built. Why should it be rebuilt? I imagine there are many Jew who want it, but I don’t know the reasons. (I don’t think most would want to bring back animal sacrifice) I think there are plenty of christians with their own political and religious fantasies regarding a third temple.

I don’t believe it is necessary, because the new testament church is the focus of God’s divine plan. On the other hand the 1936 edition of the Catholic Encyclopedia stated that the Antichrist would “rebuild Jerusalem and the Jewish Temple, in which he will set himself up as God.”

Is Paul warning us of this very event? He said “the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of perdition, who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God” (2 Thess. 2:3-4.)

So, who knows. It seems like an anti-Catholic idea that attempts to remove the Church as the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecies, and instead focusses on Israel.

Peace,

Ryan :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure it won’t be rebuild because a) it seems very unlikely that someone would move the mosque and b) I believe that the destruction of the temple was not simply a historical event but that it was God who made it happen.

Now, if the prophesies are correct, the next Pope is the last Pope anyways. :smiley:

I hope not. I like to see 10 to 100 more Popes… I would hate to speculate that the next Pope is the last Pope. That was said when JPII was around. Some people say he is the last pope…

The main reason is that the Dome of the Rock is in the way.

As i recall, Julian the Apostate encountered insurmountable difficulties when he tried to build it.

I think Jesus claims to be the Third Temple - Destroy this temple and in three days I will rebuild it.

I read many years ago about some guy who shows up every year in his truck with a cornerstone and a red heffer to start rebuilding the temple.

I think it can, but that building it would be an affront to Jesus. If it is rebuilt, it will most likely be rebuilt under the auspices of something thoroughly anti-Christian, such as Julian the apostates’ mad attempts.

Why should it be rebuild?

It seems possible that an unclean spirit would be involved in it’s rebuilding, but that Christ’s return could certainly cleanse it and use it for his own home on the New Heavens and New Earth.

[quote=2 Thessalonians 2:4]He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.
[/quote]

Upon closer examination, there are many symbols within Ezekials’ “temple” which could potenially point back toward the ultimate sacrifice of Christ. Many of the things from the first temple are actualy missing in the third temple. Perhaps any sacrifices done would be a kind of minor eucharisitc nature, celebrating that which God has already completed long ago. Or maybe they are simply symbolic and not meant to be taken literally at all.

Is not Jesus the New Temple?

Yes. And, regardless of whether a Third Temple would be rebuilt or not, nothing can replace our Lord’s divine nature or eternal sacrifice. :slight_smile:

You could be on to something. Maybe the OT prophecies concerning Israel are focusing on Israel. :wink:

Remember that the First and Second Temples were basically glorified slaughterhouses. (What do you think went on in them? Cantatas and revivals?)

According to the NT, the Third Temple will be the Temple of Antichrist. I don’t know by dispensationalists are so anxious to see it built.

I recall that Pagan Roman Emperor hated Christianity so much that he wanted to rebuild the Temple. There were attempts to rebuilt it but it collapse. There were Earth quakes etc. which prevented from building the Third Temple…

The New Jerusalem won’t have a Temple

[FONT=Georgia]And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb.

Revelation 21:22[/FONT]

:stuck_out_tongue:

I would clarify that it will be the 3rd Temple is where the AntiChrist will claim he is God. The Jews will not build it thinking “This is going to be a house for Satan.”

As far as some being “anxious” to see it built, I think you’re reading them wrong. I would say their “anxiousness” would be attributed to the fact that fulfilled prophecy means the coming of our Lord.

And as long as you mention dispensationalism, the belief is the 3rd Temple will not be the Temple Yeshua reigns from in the Millenium. The reason being it is the Temple Jews made without believing in Yeshua’s once and for all sacrifice.

What is also taught is the Temple in the Millenium will be the Temple described in Ezekiel.

Correct, that is why the Temple described in Ezekiel must be the Millenium Temple. I still cannot understand why some deny Yeshua will reign as King on earth for a 1000 years. All 100% scriptural.

Read Zechariahs description of what will take place in the Kingdom-
Zechariah 14:16-19
Then the survivors from all the nations that have attacked Jerusalem will go up year after year to worship the King, the LORD Almighty, and to celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles. If any of the peoples of the earth do not go up to Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD Almighty, they will have no rain. If the Egyptian people do not go up and take part, they will have no rain. The LORD will bring on them the plague he inflicts on the nations that do not go up to celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles. This will be the punishment of Egypt and the punishment of all the nations that do not go up to celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles.

Notice the “year after year” aspect. This is the Millenium Kingdom on Earth. There is still time, weather, and seasons happening.

Then like you said, when reading the New Jerusalem description in Rev 21, we see there is no more Temple, we see there is no sun or moon, the Glory of the Lord gives all light, and there will be no more night. We also see nothing impure will enter it. The Kingdom description in Zecahriah 14 tells of some small, petty “rebellion” of some of those that will choose to skip out on going to Jerusalem to worship Yeshua. This of course will not happen in the New Jerusalem.

Revelation 21:22-27
I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it. On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there. The glory and honor of the nations will be brought into it. Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

Of course it could, but there’s the little matter of politics to consider. Of course, they could build it elsewhere, but Judaism has moved off a bit from animal sacrifice. On the other hand, many synagogues are given the title of temple, after all we sacrifice ourselves there (not in a literal sense, thank goodness).

Would it usher in the End Times? I kind of doubt it given that most scholars say that the Revelation is a coded message and not, in fact, a prophecy, and of course, it’s not held by Jews, who would be the ones (assumedly) building the new temple.

Synagogues are not temples, and there is no where else the Jewish Temple could be built but in Jerusalem on the Temple Mount site.

And FYI, the book of Revelation was given to Yeshua’s Church, which at that time, was largely Jewish. “Scholars” were not given the book of Revelation, which is why they love to affix the “coded message” label on it. And it is most cetainly prophetic.

Yes! Like when Zechariah breaks his two staffs, “Grace and Union”. (11:10) “I took my staff Grace, and I broke it, annulling the covenant which I had made with all the peoples.”

(11:14) “Then I broke my second staff Union, annulling the brotherhood between Judah and Israel.”

No longer would God concern Himself with a holy bloodline. THe New Covenant will be primarily spiritual rather than physical. As Christ Himself stated, from this point on, His family will be those who hear and obey His commandments. 440

Peace,

Jeusus is reigning as King in heaven (now) for a 1000 years!

Read Zechariahs description of what will take place in the Kingdom-
Zechariah 14:16-19
Then the survivors from all the nations that have attacked Jerusalem will go up year after year to worship the King, the LORD Almighty, and to celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles. If any of the peoples of the earth do not go up to Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD Almighty, they will have no rain. If the Egyptian people do not go up and take part, they will have no rain. The LORD will bring on them the plague he inflicts on the nations that do not go up to celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles. This will be the punishment of Egypt and the punishment of all the nations that do not go up to celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles.

Notice the “year after year” aspect. This is the Millenium Kingdom on Earth. There is still time, weather, and seasons happening.

This is happening now on Earth! It is called the Eucharist! IF JESUS’ SACRIFICE IS FINAL AND COMPLETE, WHY WILL THERE BE FUTURE SACRIFICES NEEDED IN JERUSALEM DURING THE KINGDOM?

Then like you said, when reading the New Jerusalem description in Rev 21, we see there is no more Temple, we see there is no sun or moon, the Glory of the Lord gives all light, and there will be no more night. We also see nothing impure will enter it.

This is Heaven now and forever!

The Kingdom description in Zecahriah 14 tells of some small, petty “rebellion” of some of those that will choose to skip out on going to Jerusalem to worship Yeshua. This of course will not happen in the New Jerusalem.

This is Christ’s Kingdom on Earth now!

Revelation 21:22-27
I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it. On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there. The glory and honor of the nations will be brought into it. Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

This is Heaven now and forever!

Peace,

You might want to read Zech 11 again. It speaks of Israel and Israel only. I’m sure you know that already. But pay attention to what is referred to in verse 11 as “…the afflicted of the flock…” This is the remnant of Israel chosen by Grace that was spoken of by St.Paul in Romans 11:5, what we know as the first Christians. There is always a remnant saved, even now. I for one am grateful God let us gentiles in to his Kingdom, but we should always remember Israel will never stop being a nation before the God if Israel(Jer 31:31-37).

As far as the two staffs being broke, read Ezekial 37:16-22 as how God will reunite Judah and Ephraim after being abandoned out in the nations.

This is truely wonderful that this is happening now. But it will happen literally also.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.