Can the Vatican Survive the Age of Digital Media?

theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/09/can-the-vatican-survive-the-age-of-digital-media/262997/

Strange things have been happening at the Vatican this year. Beginning in January, documents written by high-level figures in the Catholic Church began finding their way into the Italian press, many of the letters to the pope denouncing instances of corruption and complaining about the direction and management of the Church.

When a book full of leaked documents, Sua Santità (His Holiness), was published in late May, the Vatican took the extraordinary step of arresting the pope’s butler, Paolo Gabriele, a humble but trusted member of the papal household, and announced that officials had found numerous papal documents at Gabriele’s apartment within the Vatican. At the same time, the Vatican Bank, under investigation for money laundering (charges the Vatican denies), fired its president, a respected Catholic banker, listing among the reasons for his dismissal allegations that sounded a lot like leaking: “Failure to provide any formal explanation for the dissemination of documents last known to be in the President’s possession.” Immediately after his firing, the former bank president hired his own bodyguard service and wrote a private memorandum to the pope, which he wished to disseminate “in case something should happen to him.”

These people just don’t understand and never will.

The Vatican was trusting these employees to be honourable, but apparently they were not. Digital media can and is being used for good.

People need to not leak private documents and letters online. A lot of these letters are about sorting things out or are personal notes and do not need to be shown to the public.

For reasons of defamation alone, things need to be kept secret. For example, if someone suspects another person did something, they have a right to ask about it without it being shown to the public as if the person really did do what they were accused of doing. Because as we all know, the media just loves to announce whenever a person is accused of something terrible, and yet is silent when the allegations are proven false.

If something is supposed to be announced publicly, it will be.

The enemies of the Church have been hoping for its’ demise for two thousand years and they have always been disappointed. Christ himself said that the gates of hell would not prevail against it.

“That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”

Can the “Vatican” survive?? I don’t know…the Vatican is a place…and I don’t know how the “digital media” might effect a “place”…

But the Church will survive…:thumbsup::thumbsup:

After all, it was not “digital media” was the problem in these matters but rather the people who acted dishonorably…and those have been around for many many many centuries…and the Church has survived…

Peace
James

There have been many bumbling idiots as well as intentional evil-doers who have failed to bring down the Church over the past 2,000 years. So I’m not gonna get worked up about this latest stuff.

Sad.

Vatican internet sites:

vatican.va/siti_va/index_va_en.htm

Pope Benedict XVI on Digital Media

perpetualpriest.blogspot.com/2011/01/pope-benedict-xvi-on-digital-media.html

youtube site for the Vatican

youtube.com/user/vatican

Main Vatican website:

vatican.va/phome_en.htm

Peace,
Ed

The issue is not one of the type of media. During the 1980’s, Pope John Paul kept information on diplomotic discussions away from the offices of the Papal Secretaries of State and under his personal secretary. He made sure that information never left his office, as the Vatican was a target of espionage. In this situation, it made since as he had his own way of dealing with communism that differed from the established secretaries and he deemed he was in a unique position to best deal with the communist world personally.

The point is, there are always ways to keep things quiet that are vital to keep quiet.

I recall reading a report of a man dressed as a priest at the Vatican. He was not a priest. What became of him I do not know.

Peace,
Ed

The Vatican had even survived a cyberattack.

Yeah it’s true the Vatican is doomed because obviously the Church, His Holiness, Fr Robert Barron, EWTN, Michael Voris et al…never use Digital Media like YouTube. :rolleyes:

Why does anyone take The Atlantic seriously is beyond me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.