Can the writing of a theologian trump Church dogma?

I have a somewhat unusual question to ask. I have an acquaintance who is quite anti-Catholic. This person is prone to making erroneous statements about Catholic dogma and teachings. Usually his statements are easy to disprove with little research. He is making claims that Vatican theologians now admit that the Virgin Birth is a matter of Christology and not history. He bases this “fact” (his words) on a document by a Vatican theologian that carries the Nihils Obstat stamp. Any suggestions on how I can convince him that a document by a theologian does not trump Church Dogma on the Virgin Birth? Thank you in advance .

Yours in Christ,

Scott Irey

The following link should help answer your questions. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

What is a Roman Catholic theologian?
Perpetual Virginity: Why is this important?
Why should any doctrine not explicitly referred to in the Bible, be listened to?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.