Can there be a Non-Latin-Rite Pope?

I hear most people say that any baptised Catholic Man could be elected pope. He would first of course have to be ordaned a bishop, etc., but…

How could a non-Latin Rite Catholic be elected as the Patriarch of the Latin Church? That is one of the positions held by the pope other than Bishop of Rome, etc…

Any takers on clarifying this for me?

EWTN sez:

Eastern Catholic Popes - A number of Eastern Catholics of Greek or Syrian origin have been elected Pope. The last Pope to be from the East, however, was Pope Zachary (741-52).

tee

The possibility is there, but to be realistic, most of the Cardinals are Latin rite, so it would be a long shot as of now to have an Eastern rite Pope.

I’m sorry. I may not have been clear. I know it has happened in the past and so I know that it is “technically” possible, but it just seems strange to me that the highest ranking person in the Latin Rite would be from another rite.

Granted the Pope is traditionally Latin rite and in that circumstance he is “above” the other rites, but in that case it is only in exercise of his papacy that he is the leader of all Rites universally united to him.

Basically I’m just saying it would be weird to have for an instance a Byzantine Catholic be the top within the Latin rite and also a Byzantine Catholic be the Bishop of Rome a Latin Rite territory…

I’m wondering how this would all work out?

[quote=matthias]I’m sorry. I may not have been clear. I know it has happened in the past and so I know that it is “technically” possible, but it just seems strange to me that the highest ranking person in the Latin Rite would be from another rite.

Granted the Pope is traditionally Latin rite and in that circumstance he is “above” the other rites, but in that case it is only in exercise of his papacy that he is the leader of all Rites universally united to him.

Basically I’m just saying it would be weird to have for an instance a Byzantine Catholic be the top within the Latin rite and also a Byzantine Catholic be the Bishop of Rome a Latin Rite territory…

I’m wondering how this would all work out?
[/quote]

Just to clarify, the Latin Rite is not in any way superior to the other Rites and Ritual Churches. They are all equal in majesty to each other.
If Cardinal Husar were to be elected Pope for example, he would follow the Latin Rite in all official Church Liturgical celebrations.
From a direct standpoint, the Holy Father acts as Patriarch of the West for Latin Rite Liturgical changes and modifications. He tends to take a more hands off approach to the Eastern Catholic Churches, letting their Synods handle the day to day operations of the Churches, and giving a kind of royal assent to their suggestions. However, he can always reject their suggestions.

For doctrinal and dogmatic pronouncements, he acts as Supreme Pontiff. He always possesses full and immediate power over the entire church, which according to Vatican I and II, “he can exercise unhindered.” (Lumen Gentium Introductory Explanatory Note)

Any Pope possesses full and immediate Ritual faculties and can celebrate whatever legitimately approved Rite and Recension he wants privately.

Bill
A Latin Catholic who loves the Eastern Catholic Churches.

I too have a particular draw toward the eastern traditions and Churchs. In fact it was my Eastern Orthodox friend that helped initially lead me in the direction of the Catholic Church.

I have no problem understanding how the Supreme Pontiff would could be of any Rite. In fact I would expect that when exercising his office of Supreme Pontiff he would be exercising it “universally” in which case it would not even pertain to a particular rite.

However my question is more how a non-Latin-Rite Catholic who is Pope when not exercising his seat as Supreme Pontiff but instead acting under his authority as Patriarch of the West.

This seems like it would be strange to me.

The Pope has multiple titles and when he exercises each he has different powers and jurisdictions.

I was just trying to envision a non-Latin-Rite Patriarch of the West when exercising his role as Patriarch and not as Pope. This just seems a bit strange to me.

It’s just a little something bit interesting to think about.

I would actually be in favor of a non-Latin-Rite pope. I honestly think there are one too many Catholics that think the Latin Rite is “The” Church and the other rites are more or less “under” the Latin rite.

I think they believe this because they think of the Pope as being one job but really it’s many each having different powers and jurisdictions.

I’ve met too many Latin Rite Catholics that are culturally ignorant and I honestly think broadening the Latin Rite’s knowledge of the Universal Catholic Church’s diversity would help eventually break down walls between the Catholic Church and our sister Churches, Orthodox Churches.

Yes, I suppose it would be odd, though conversely it must be a bit odd for an Eastern Catholic to have a Latin-rite Patriarch be the actual head of your Church too.
The plurality of worship in Holy Mother Church is quite interesting and powerful.

Is it in fact absolute that the Pope is also Patriarch of the Latin Church? I know that this has been the case, but I’m honestly curious if that’s written in stone as I haven’t studied the subject very much. It seems to me that he would be, but I realize that’s my ignorance speaking here.

[quote=Ghosty]Is it in fact absolute that the Pope is also Patriarch of the Latin Church? I know that this has been the case, but I’m honestly curious if that’s written in stone as I haven’t studied the subject very much. It seems to me that he would be, but I realize that’s my ignorance speaking here.
[/quote]

Yes
Here are the titles of the Holy Father.

Supreme Pontiff (or Sovereign Pontiff, which is a bit more archaic but still quite appropriate)
Servant of the Servants of God
Vicar of Christ
Patriarch of the West
Primate of Italy
Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province
Bishop of Rome

Yah.
I guess it would work out.
It’s really not the non-Latin-Rite Pope thing that I find weird. That actually sounds fine to me. Maby even a good idea for a change. I bet the liturgical abuses would get cleaned up in a jiffy, :-).

It honestly seems “right” that any rite aught to be eligable for the papacy, but it seems weird having a non-Latin-Rite patriarch of the west. The position of patriarch is far less “universal and doctrinal” and much more… cultural and etc.

Anyway I supposed I’m beating this dead horse.

That is the one thing I was wondering… could a Pope be Pope but assign someone else (a Latin-Rite Bishop) to be the patriarch of the West… or is this a “mandatory” position he would have…

Maby he would assign a vicar to the patriarchate? :slight_smile:

I don’t think the concept of “Rites” was as sharply articulated ecclesially the last time we had a non-Latin-Rite Pope…

Pope Zachary (741-52).

Matthias: My thoughts as well. It seems like it would be more appropriate for an Eastern Rite Pope to designate a “Vicar Patriarch”, if only for easing the strain of his job in having to deal with completely unfamiliar cultural questions.

I notice you live in Seattle, like me. What parish do you attend?

As an Eastern Catholic (Byzantine-Rutherian Rite), I may seem a bit biased here.

An Eastern Rite Pope would be interesting. I am looking at it in the way that It could smoothe and possibly ‘reunite’ the Orthodox East with All of Catholicism. If that were to happen, then the Catholic Church (the whole Church) would have a big load of her shoulders. John Paul II did an excellent job in the way to pave dialogue between the Orthodox East and The Church. He did more in 26 years than in 1000 since the Schism.

Quite a few parishes actually, :-).

I have been going to St. Marks in Shoreline for Sunday mass but I’ve been “shopping around” lately.

For Daily Mass I went to Holy Family in Kirkland (only one I could get to daily mass at on an early “lunch” break at 9:00 AM.)
Now I go to daily mass at St. Monicas on Mercer Island because they changed my work schedule and this is the only parish I can now go to daily mass at.

On Saturdays I go to Blessed Sacrament in the U-District and go to a life-vigil outside an abortion clinic after. Some Saturdays of the month we have mass downtown at the KofC building and have a vigil at a different abortion clinic.

So I’m all over the map as far as parish’s go.

I’ll probably end up going to St. Monica’s for my Sunday obligation too instead of going to St. Marks.

It’s be nice to find an Orthodox and tradititoinal liturgy parish without having to drive a zillion miles every day but I can only dream.

Speaking of…

Rather than spending forever going from parish to parish and mass to mass taking notes to find the one with the least liturgical abuses and best liturgy and preaching I wish there was a website with “mass reviews”.

www.masstimes.org is great for finding parishs and if they have a website linked there that can give insights to what the parish is like but I’d love to be able to go to a site and see how nutz a parish may or may not be.

It’d be great for finding a home parish and it would also be handy when traveling…

What parish do you go to?

[quote=Ghosty]Is it in fact absolute that the Pope is also Patriarch of the Latin Church?
[/quote]

It’s absolute as far as the present law and ancient practice of the Church is concerned. I suppose a Pope in the future could change it but it would be an unprecedented change.

[quote=BillyT92679]If Cardinal Husar
[/quote]

I think I saw him on TV at the Vatican. But I don’t know since he wasn’t identified and I don’t know what he looks like. If it was him he wasn’t dressed like the other cardinals. Doesn’t that violate the instructions the Pope left to the cardinals regarding their attire? I don’t think he was even wearing the red cap. Maybe it wasn’t him in which case I apologize :slight_smile:

[quote=tuopaolo]I think I saw him on TV at the Vatican. But I don’t know since he wasn’t identified and I don’t know what he looks like. If it was him he wasn’t dressed like the other cardinals. Doesn’t that violate the instructions the Pope left to the cardinals regarding their attire? I don’t think he was even wearing the red cap. Maybe it wasn’t him in which case I apologize :slight_smile:
[/quote]

There IS an attire difference between East and West Catholics. Our bishop wears black and a shawl lke thing on his head. (I do not know what it’s called…Maybe a fellow Eastern Catholic can answer that for me). And I do know the Cardinals dress differently too. Even my Pastor’s attire when in public at a public function wears a cassock and a cape-like coat as well.

After the first woman Pope. Pope Hilary Clinton.

How could a non-Latin Rite Catholic be elected as the Patriarch of the Latin Church?

If a non-Latin Catholic were elected, he’d automatically become a Latin Catholic, upon his election.

How could he not be, as the head of the rite.

[quote=Kevin Walker]After the first woman Pope. Pope Hilary Clinton.
[/quote]

Come on now, it’s quite possible it could happen.
Do you not want an Eastern Catholic Pope?

Come on now, it’s quite possible it could happen.
Do you not want an Eastern Catholic Pope?

An Eastern Catholic would no longer be Eastern Catholic, once he was elected pope.

Because it would be his responsibility to be patriarch of the Latin rite.

BTW, I don’t think any of the Eastern rites would necessarily be real pleased to have a Latin rite bishop assume the leadership of their rite either.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.