Can there be two tabernacles?

The tabernacle at my parish is in the chapel. There is no tabernacle in the nave/main part of the church. Could a second tabernacle be placed behind the altar in the nave/main part of the church as well? (I don't see this actually happening, but I was just wondering if it would be allowed.)

[quote="SHoJ, post:1, topic:311692"]
The tabernacle at my parish is in the chapel. There is no tabernacle in the nave/main part of the church. Could a second tabernacle be placed behind the altar in the nave/main part of the church as well? (I don't see this actually happening, but I was just wondering if it would be allowed.)

[/quote]

Take a look at this thread:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=118351

Post 7 confirms that (in the case of a Cathedral) a Church can have 2 tabernacles (one in a chapel and one in the main church).

God Bless!

[quote="RocketRM, post:2, topic:311692"]
Take a look at this thread:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=118351

Post 7 confirms that (in the case of a Cathedral) a Church can have 2 tabernacles (one in a chapel and one in the main church).

God Bless!

[/quote]

Thank you. That link helped a lot. It's not a cathedral but a regular parish.

Canon 938 §1. The Most Holy Eucharist is to be reserved habitually in only one tabernacle of a church or oratory.

If there would be more than one tabernacle it would be the exception.

When you ask about having more than one tabernacle, are you talking about using them both?

[quote="Joe_5859, post:5, topic:311692"]
When you ask about having more than one tabernacle, are you talking about using them both?

[/quote]

Yes. I like the tabernacle in the chapel, but it feels like something is missing in the main part of the church without a tabernacle behind the altar.

One parish near me has tabernacles at both "side altars". Only one is ever used, AFAIK.

[quote="SHoJ, post:6, topic:311692"]
Yes. I like the tabernacle in the chapel, but it feels like something is missing in the main part of the church without a tabernacle behind the altar.

[/quote]

It could be confusing to place one there if it is not used for reserving the Eucharist.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.