Can these bits of the Mass be sung?

Hi all. I was wondering wether (in the OF but insights into the EF would be cool) the following bits of the Mass can be sung. Thank you. :slight_smile:

-I confess to almighty God and to…

-Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation… blessed be God forever.

-By the mystery of this water and wine…

-Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation… blessed be God forever.

-With humble spirit and contrite heart…

-Wash me, O Lord, from my iniquity…

-May this mingling of the Body and Blood…

-Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God…keep me always faithful to your commandments, and never let me be parted from you.

-May the receiving of your Body and Blood…and a healing remedy.

-May the Body/Blood of Christ keep me safe for Eternal life.

-What has passed our lips as food, O Lord…

note: I used the new ICEL text as it was easier to cut and paste.

**Yes. I have seen all the penitential formulae sung/chanted. Someone in the know --Benedictgal, Fr. David, NewEnglandPriest, etc…can’t the whole Mass be chanted/sung? Isn’t the sung/chanted Mass the norm and the said Mass the exception, at least on Sundays? **

This is said silently if there is music. I guess the priest can sing/chant to himself.**

These are private prayers that are reserved to the priest to say in a low voice. I guess if he wanted to sing them to himself, he could. It makes little or no sense, though.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

From what I’ve heard, everything that is spoken aloud at Mass can be sung… but I don’t recall having seen musical notation for the “I confess” or the “Blessed are you” prayers.

The following prayers are said quietly (a “low voice”, not silently) by the priest; as such, I don’t think there is musical notation for them:
[LIST]
*]By the mystery of this water and wine…
*]With humble spirit and contrite heart…
*]Wash me, O Lord, from my iniquity…
*]May this mingling of the Body and Blood…
*]Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God…
*]May the receiving of your Body and Blood…
*]May the Body/Blood of Christ keep me safe for Eternal life.
*]What has passed our lips as food, O Lord…
[/LIST]

I believe that all of the mass may be sung, if you want to.

Although I think it’s ok to sing the “private prayers” (for lack of better words), I think I’d be kinda weird.

Where I attend Mass, the entire Mass is chanted except for the homily, on Sundays. On weekdays there’s no homily, and the prayers of the faithful are read and not chanted, but the rest of the Mass is chanted. It’s a Benedictine monastery. Even the readings are chanted.

There is no part of the mass (EF or OF) that can’t be chanted, although the “secret” prayers being chanted requires they be done sotto voce.

Even the homily can be chanted, and certain homilists of old were noted for doing so so that they could be heard.

Nice!
:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.