Can this be explained in a logical manner?

Dear friend in Christ,

What does your church teach about the number of different Christian churches, each with its own understanding of truth, which can only be singular?

God Bless you,

Patrick

Some churches have varying degrees of error, caused by human sin.

Catholicism is far from monolithic, either, particularly among Catholic theologians and academics.

I submit that to the person in the pews, many Protestant services appear virtually identical…just as Novus Ordo Catholic services do.

Hi Patrick

I don’t know if you want to hear from me… But I often wonder how the catholic church can consider itself as having and teaching one understanding of truth, when the eastern orthodox sects who have joined the catholic church have differing ideas about what is truth. I’m not sure if the is true or not, but the whole issue with the Filioque was different enough to split over before,… But it’s not now? If so, why not just have Protestants join then also, without changing what they believe?

A real question here… Not trying to cause a scene, but it’s something I could never understand.

God Bless you Patrick :thumbsup:

My understanding is that God purpose for Man for us to Know and to Love Him, this can only be achieved by living the Life and Following the Laws. Christ died for us for these reasons. Thus if we have not achieved Love and Unity, then we must look at ourselves as to why! :blush: :shrug:

God Bless and Regards Tony

Churches are people.
People make mistakes.
Therefore, churches make mistakes.

Anglicans generally acknowledge that many (if not all) churches, ourselves included, may have some of the truth, but tend not to describe any church or individual as having all of the truth.

=AnneElizabeth;12088570]Hi Patrick

I don’t know if you want to hear from me… But I often wonder how the catholic church can consider itself as having and teaching one understanding of truth, when the eastern orthodox sects who have joined the catholic church have differing ideas about what is truth. I’m not sure if the is true or not, but the whole issue with the Filioque was different enough to split over before,… But it’s not now? If so, why not just have Protestants join then also, without changing what they believe?

A real question here… Not trying to cause a scene, but it’s something I could never understand.

Thanks for asking:)

We RC’s think our our Eastern Brethren as being “Nearly Catholics” [ROMAN]

There are two primary differences and TONS of similarities between us; including the Seven Sacraments as being Valid.

The two issues of primary difference are

1. The Primacy of the Papacy
  2. The identical understanding of the Trinity -relationship

We remain HOPEFUL of a full Communion reunion. We ARE much more alike than not.

Truth is by necessity and logic, singular per defined issue. I HASTEN TO POINT OUT that for the first THOUSAND years the Church was ONE as God Founded, intended and desired. The Great Schism was in 1054 AD.

Not being a Theologian, I 'll leave it at that.

God Bless you, and thanks for asking,

Patrick

=House Harkonnen;12088501]Some churches have varying degrees of error, caused by human sin.

By this my friend do mean to imply the RCC but NOT the Lutheran church?

God Bless you,

BTW, does truth HAVE to be singular IYO?

=tonyfish58;12089156]God Bless you Patrick :thumbsup:

My understanding is that God purpose for Man for us to Know and to Love Him, this can only be achieved by living the Life and Following the Laws. Christ died for us for these reasons. Thus if we have not achieved Love and Unity, then we must look at ourselves as to why! :blush: :shrug:

Ahhh,

But what dies GOD mean by “to KNOW him?”

I suspect my friend you feel to know OF Christ is sufficient:) Its not.

God Bless you,
Patrick

No, there are many truths, I think the RC teaches some truths and some errors. Probably more truths than errors.

For example, the RC teaches the Trinity which is true, but also papal universal jurisdiction, which is false.

As for the Lutherans, there are some Lutherans that teach some errors for example, the ELCA declares that actively practicing homosexual ministers are acceptable for ministry which is an error, but they also teach the Trinity which is truth.

Wow. I know you didn’t just compare homosexual ministers to Papal Supremacy, but it sure seemed like you did.

If you know I didn’t, why comment at all that it “seems” like I did?

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I thought you might want to clarify.

Better than simply reporting your comment as uncharitable.

Why would I clarify if you admit you know what my intention was?

Dear fellow Lover of God - If one really gets to know One Self, then One will find God Within. Who can really say they know their own selves :blush:

To know God you have to Know and Love Christ Dear Friend, the more Sin we take out of our lives, the more our Soul can become a mirror to reflect Christ within us.

But of Course this subject has no ending, just as it has no beginning :wink:

Dear Patrick - We are all but sinners, how can one say they have sufficient knowledge of Christ :shrug:

There is no way we can ever fully know Christ.

=House Harkonnen;12100382]No, there are many truths, I think the RC teaches some truths and some errors. Probably more truths than errors.

For example, the RC teaches the Trinity which is true, but also papal universal jurisdiction, which is false.

As for the Lutherans, there are some Lutherans that teach some errors for example, the ELCA declares that actively practicing homosexual ministers are acceptable for ministry which is an error, but they also teach the Trinity which is truth.

Thank you for a thoughtful response:)

HOWEVER, both the examples you choose are the singular truth.

To whom did Christ give ALL of the KEYS to heavens access? Peter and by absolute necessity His Successors READ Mt, 10: 1-8 THEN Mt 28:16-20 and note the Mandate was changed from ONLY the Jews to the entire world.

Here’s the short course that disproves your position:

Mt. 10: 1-8
Mt. 16: 15-19
John 17: 12-26
Mk. 17:15-16
Mt. 28:16-20

And take careful aim at 1. Who’s speaking 2. specifically to whom He is speaking and 3. the mandate itself

The evidence is clear and compelling that your position on the second ponit, my friend, is in error.:slight_smile:

God bless you,
Patrick

=House Harkonnen;12100382]No, there are many truths, I think the RC teaches some truths and some errors. Probably more truths than errors.

Indeed their are many truths; BUT can we agree that their can be be ONLY One truth per “defined issue?”

God Bless you,

Patrick

=tonyfish58;12101067]Dear fellow Lover of God - If one really gets to know One Self, then One will find God Within. Who can really say they know their own selves :blush:

To know God you have to Know and Love Christ Dear Friend, the more Sin we take out of our lives, the more our Soul can become a mirror to reflect Christ within us.

Dear Patrick - We are all but sinners, how can one say they have sufficient knowledge of Christ :shrug:

Hi Tony:)

For you folks that ARE god, I can understand how this might be true. BUT for those of who are Mortal; God Created, human beings; and morally obligated to Know, Love and serve God [Isaiah 43: verses 7 & 21],

Not only can one have “sufficient” knowledge of God; one is obligated to accomplish this doable task, by and through what the ONLY Church and faith that GOD founded, guides and protects; today’s Catholic Churches.

However “sufficient” by no means is a Full and Perfect understanding. “Sufficient” IS
sufficient for one to merit one’s salvation.:thumbsup:

God Bless you,

Patrick

=tonyfish58;12101067]Dear fellow Lover of God - If one really gets to know One Self, then One will find God Within. Who can really say they know their own selves :blush:

ONLY by understanding the term to “sufficient” to mean :enough to merit one’s salvation.

Certainly one can not have “sufficient” knowledge of God as it relates to the Fullness of ALL of God’s attributes. That said; Man is however the ONLY thing in ALL of Creation that can emulate God [at a much lesser level] and the ONLY thing in Creation that can Know, Love Serve and Fully Obey God. This in NO WAY makes us god, or gods.

God Bless you,

Patrick

That’s not how most of the early church fathers interpreted that verse and the “keys”. Why should I go with the modern RC interpretation over and above the early church fathers?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.