Can this verse be an evidence for Purgatory

Wisdom 3 : 5-6 says

5 Chastised a little, they shall be greatly blessed,because God tried them and found them worthy of himself. 6 As gold in the furnace, he proved them,and as sacrificial offerings* he took them to himself.d

The “chastised a little” seems that is something happen to the people of God after their death, then they will “be greatly blessed” .

Am I right in my thinking of it this way ?

To be honest I would caution against simply using those two verses as they need to sit in with the rest of the Chapter. V1-6 states:

1The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God, and no torment shall touch them. They seemed, in the view of the foolish, to be dead; and their passing away was thought an affliction and their going forth from us, utter destruction. But they are in peace. For if to others, indeed, they seem punished, yet is their hope full of immortality;
Chastised a little, they shall be greatly blessed, because God tried them and found them worthy of himself. As gold in the furnace, he proved them, and as sacrificial offerings* he took them to himself. 7In the time of their judgment they shall shine and dart about as sparks through stubble; They shall judge nations and rule over peoples, and the LORD shall be their King forever

It is unlikely that many non-Catholics would see this as supporting Purgatory as they may argue that everything took place before the person died and they are now at peace. The most obvious reference is Maccabees 12: 42-46 but that book is not accepted by a number of Christian denominations.

Have you read the explanation on Bible 101? It can be found at: catholicbible101.com/purgatory.htm. This might be a bit of a firmer base to move from? I thought I would put the link rather than try to condense the information or lose some of the related references.

I expect that you will get more knowledgeable responses from other more experience CAF members, so this is just a starting reply.

I would also be cautionary about using them in argument, because Protestants (whom I’m assuming you’re debating) wouldn’t accept them as Scripture.

I read the article, wow, I never thought of Hebrew 12:22 as an evidence for purgatory, but I went to non-Catholic explanations for it, but non of them make sense. So, it fit perfectly with Purgatory.

Thank you :thumbsup:

You’re right. but also there are Orthodox who accept the book of Wisdom :slight_smile:

Purgatory is found also in Rev. 3:18-19, Sirach 2:5, Zech. 13:8-9, and 1 Cor. 3:12-13,
speaking also of refining gold and so forth, so cross reference your passage seen in
Wisdom (one of my favorite Scriptures), and I think you’ve got something there.

That is right, because even if you put Wisdom 3: 5 in context, actually it proves my point , because the verses were talking about the people of God and when they die, and how the evils think they have been punished by their death, and then when comes 3 : 5 the verse goes to say " Chastised a little ". So, it is talking about people of God who died, and now they are being chastised a little and then they will be greatly blessed. :slight_smile: that fits with our understanding of Purgatory, we will be corrected or chastised a little in the purgatory, but after that we will be greatly blessed.

Pope St. Gregory the Great utilizes this verse in his explanation of purgatory.

“And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come.” (Mt 12:32)

He is cited in the Catechism, “As for certain lesser faults, we must believe that, before the Final Judgment, there is a purifying fire. He who is truth says that whoever utters blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will be pardoned neither in this age nor in the age to come. From this sentence we understand that certain offenses can be forgiven in this age, but certain others in the age to come.” (CCC 1031)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.