Can unbaptized people go to heaven?

The Catholic Church certainly has laid out a theology regarding what happens to us when we die based on scripture, tradition, and magisterial teaching. Whether or not you choose to believe in that is your choice.

It’s not unnecessary. I never said it was unnecessary. If you know you should be baptized, you are required to be baptized. But if you think of this requirement as a payment or due, you do not understand the scriptures and you’re picturing God as a pagan diety.

God has no wants or needs. God does not need you. God does not need any of us. Everything He gives us is for our benefit, not His. So baptism is for our benefit, not His.

So we can all agree the answer to the question is yes.

It seems to me that the Imacculate Conception implies that the Mother of God did not need to be baptized.

If that is the case, the Queen of Heaven is an example of an unbaptized person in heaven. It is an extraordinary exception, but everything God does is extraordinary. What God does is beyond our understanding.

The answer is that we have reason to hope that, through God’s mercy, the answer is yes.

From a Catholic point of view, we cannot go beyond what has been revealed to us. God has not revealed to us what happens to unbaptized infants.

That really makes less sense than asking what the meaning of is is

To you.

It makes perfect sense to me and to a great many Catholics.

No we can’t agree the answer is yes. The answer is at best we don’t know but we can hope. Baptism can come in other forms. Death for faith, desire of your soul. I do want to clarify, baptism of desire does not mean the “gee, yes, I guess I want to go to heaven and stay out of hell now that I’m dead.” It means my soul desires to follow and believe all the Church intends.

Thank you. I agree with you that all religions can simply answer at best we do not know for sure.

Which is why the golden rule is so important regardless of what anyone believes.

Why do you say you agree with me when I said no such thing. That is disingenuous and not in keeping with your “golden rule” on your end.

No, unbalrized people cannot g to heaven.

Keep in mind that there is baptism of water, baptism of blood and baptism of desire.

Would that include everyone who lived prior to the coming of Jesus?

My mother has lost three children before they were born. They didn’t even have a chance to be baptized. We are bound by the sacraments, God is not. However, under NORMATIVE circumstances, baptism is required. See Mk 16:16.

No it would not include anyone before the sacrament was established. Remember the creed?

Everyone who followed the God-given law and hoped in the Messiah to come, yes.

Thank you for this explanation. Everyone must be baptized in order to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven, and Our Lord Himself affirms this in unequivocal terms: “Amen, amen I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God” (Jn. 3:5). Baptism is necessary to salvation; in fact, it is necessary by divine institution, and constitutes a necessity of means rather than simply a necessity of precept.

However, we must be careful not to fall into the heresy of Feeneyism, which teaches falsely that baptism of water is the only possible for of baptism, and that anyone who is not baptized with water will go to hell. This idea has been rightly condemned by the Church; if one were to subscribe to this heresy, one would be forced to admit that everyone who lived before the First Coming of Christ went to hell. That cannot be true, and therefore Feeneyism is false.

Baptism of desire and baptism of blood are definitely possible; those who have not been baptized with water can certainly be saved through these means. Those who are invincibly ignorant can be ultimately saved by the implicit baptism of desire, for example. If these persons were not part of the visible Church on earth, but were saved and went to heaven, then they are said to be invisible members of the Church. The have the necessary sanctifying grace brought about through baptism of blood/desire, but not the indelible mark on the soul brought about through baptism of water.

As it says in the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

1261 As regards children who have died without Baptism , the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus’ tenderness toward children which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them,"64 allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church’s call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.

We have reason to hope that, by the mercy of God, these children are in heaven.

At the last judgment the book of life will be opened and Jesus will judge everyone…he is the one who will say who will and who won’t enter heaven…he has made it clear that not all who call him Lord will enter heaven…or those who think they will be first will be last

What I am reading today is non-sense. To him who knows to do right and does not do it, this is sin. When a baby dies, what sin will they be guilty of?

Uh, original sin… that’s pretty strait forward

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.