Can veganism be pleasing to God?

Hello,

I have a friend who is vegan and she says that because God made us vegan in the Garden of Eden, that veganism is pleasing to God because it’s central aim is pro-life, albeit animal life. I have a hard time disagreeing with her. But I am also aware that God allowed us to eat meat after the flood. I wouldn’t say that it’s a sin to eat meat (Jesus did) but I also lean towards believing that God is pleased by the efforts of veganism, because it was his original intent, just as a man and a women in marriage is his original intent.

Thanks,
Brother in Christ

God didn’t just allow us to eat meat after the flood, he also commanded the Chosen People to kill animals as part of the burnt offerings to him.

It can be pleasing to God, if done as a sacrifice (I’m aware of saints who totally abstained from meat), but it would stop pleasing God if it resulted in bodily harm.

True, but thats all post flood. And your comment, as thankful as I am for it, didnt address my question.

I think as a sacrifice it can be pleasing as well. It’s when it crosses over into animal worship I get a little nervous.

Were Adam and Eve vitamin b12 deficient?

I cant answer that. But I believe there were much more fruits and veggies available in the Garden, hence the name garden.

Are you saying those fruits and vege had vitamin b12 in them?

Yes, yes I am.

God very clearly permits us to eat meat, and Jesus Himself ate fish and might have eaten/drunk stuff made from animal byproducts. It is also worth noting that God removed Israel’s dietary restrictions, which included some meats, in the Church, which would seem to indicate that He wasn’t intending us to go back to living like we were in Eden. (This, of course, isn’t the only way we may not be like Eden long-term, considering that there is no marriage in heaven.)

Of course, going vegetarian or vegan can be pleasing to God as a consistent sacrifice to God. There’s also various ethical concerns that could make eating meat in our modern time a cooperator in bad stewardship, and while I don’t think that, from a Catholic perspective, makes us culpable, some may want to encourage better stewardship anyways.

When death and bad health aren’t concerns, I don’t think vitamin deficiency is either.

presumably you are saying those fruits and vege were manufacturing vitamin b12 themselves and they are now extinct?

I guess that makes sense.

Which means what doesn’t make sense is be a vegan today because we don’t have access to those fruits and veges

Cereals and yeast contain b12, and I also agree that being vegan is definitely hard to do correctly and most of them aren’t entirely healthy.

I just heard this on Relevant Radio the other day.

When they are artificially fortified, yes.

Tooshay my good man

Will you elaborate?

I didn’t pay much attention, but most of the elements that were mentioned in the OP were part of it.

Veganism can be pleasing to God in the sense that barbecuing can be pleasing to God, if it is done wit love and obedience.

Abel became a herder of sheep while Cain was a tiller of the soil. 3And it happened in the course of time that Cain brought from the fruit of the soil an offering to the Lord. 4And Abel too had brought from the choice firstlings of his flock, and the Lord regarded Abel and his offering 5but did not regard Cain and his offering.

One of my sisters became a vegan. She did it for pro life reasons. I could easily be vegetarian but not vegan. I like fish, eggs and milk. My husband would not be pleased though. He grew up very poor and only had meat, eggs and milk/cheese about once a month. He spent most of his childhood as a vegan due to circumstances and he has no intention of ever going back to that. He even sends enough money home to his parents to ensure they now also get to eat better. I don’t think it is wrong to be vegan, but I think it is mainly people in richer countries that have the luxury to choose which diet they want to follow while most places in the world just get to eat what is available.

I’m a failed vegan (and now vegetarian, having milk products as well). I wish I could stick with veganism, as I do believe it best embraces living gently in a violent world.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.