Can we be sinless until we die?

The bible tell us that we must be pefect as our heavenly Father is perfect. This has really been on my mind lately…does this mean that we can actually live a sinless life at some point if we fully cooperate with God’s grace and surrender to him? Or, is God telling us something that is impossible for us to accomplish here on earth (except for Our Blessed Mother, of course), and it points to the need for purgatory after we die. I guess in short … “we are all sinners”, but can we ever become and stay sinless?

We are to aways be free from mortal sin. The Catechism states:

Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, “eternal fire.” - CCC 1035

If we have sinned, we must repent, have a contrite heart, and recieve sacramental reconciliaton as soon as possible. Whe our sins are washed away, we have confidence of truly being in communion with God, and in a state of grce to enter heaven. Therefore, yes, we must be perfectly sinless at (or until) death to enter into heaven.

Still, we are not always perfect (in another sense) at death… we may still struggle with temptations to sin, and our own human weaknesses/faults, even though we are not in truly state of mortal sin (the state of having knowingly given into temptation and being unrepentant). The final process of perfecting our last inclinations to sin and the world are cleansed through the purgatorial state (final divinization) after death.

• Hugo

I guess I was talking about mortal and venial sins when I said ‘sinless’. Is this possible?

The bible tells us that even a pious person sins seven times a day – so, I guess the answer is no … we can never be free of sin while alive in the flesh.

Isaiah 6

[quote=Sir Knight]The bible tells us that even a pious person sins seven times a day – so, I guess the answer is no … we can never be free of sin while alive in the flesh.
[/quote]

Hi Sir knight,
I’m not familar with that verse… do you know the refrence? Thanks.

Is it possible? Unlikely… Venial sins are beyond our ability to control. We do not exercise our free will in venial sin (sudden wrong thought, uncontrolled outburst of anger, etc.) We do gorw in our spiritual life, and can overcome them, but it’s difficult to say how many have ever reached such a plateau. Thank God that was ever necessary.

As for the righteous man “sins seven times a day” - its a poetic way of saying, even the righteous continually make mistakes. I don’t think we can go far in defining a Biblical view of human sinlessness (or the overcoming thereof) on a poetic hyperbole, although it is an interesting verse.

The perfection we strive for does involve overcoming venial sins ultimately (if not in life, then in purgatory). But assurance of salvation requires only freedom from mortal sin.

Yes, we can be sinless until we die. If we die before we reach the age of reason, which is 6 or 7 years old, we will die sinless.

you got to be kidding right? We are born with a sinful nature. We sin everyday, either in thought, word or deed. We cannot be free from the pull of sin, until we die and our soul leaves this fleshly body.

But to be sinless is never to commit a sin, as opposed to inheriting original sin. And though we are not free from the pull of sin, we can still refrain from sinning.

Mary was sinless. Jesus became human to show us that we can be sinless. God wants us to be sinless, so there must be a possibility of being sinless. Is it likely? Of course not! Is it possible. I say yes.

NotWorthy

:confused: Where the bible says mary had never sinned. :confused:
Dave

I think only those baptist infants can die sinless. It is not possible to die sinless if we reach the age where we can already understand. That depends on the persons age.

But don’t be too much worried if you can die as a sinner. As long as you have repented (true repentance) before you die then you do not worry about your soul.

:confused: Where the bible says mary had never sinned. :confused:

Dave

Hi Luke, I know it is not right to answer a question with a question but where in the Bible does it say that she did sin?

If you are going to use Romans 3 or 5 try this link; it answers it much better than I can

catholic.com/thisrock/1991/9112fea1.asp

John 6: 52-55

[quote=carol marie]Hi Sir knight,
I’m not familar with that verse… do you know the refrence? Thanks.
[/quote]

Proverbs 24:16 – for a righteous man falls seven times

I think that Jesus was telling his followers that they were to try to be perfect like our Father in Heaven is perfect. But we, as fallen beings, cannot be perfect. We are fundamentally pulled towards sin, and “all have fallen short.” That is why Jesus gave us a Church that offers us the sacrament of Reconciliation. So we can always have the ability to make a new start and try again. I know I am not perfect, just forgiven - to quote a bumper sticker. :smiley:

Peace,

[quote=Luke 4:4]:confused: Where the bible says mary had never sinned. :confused:
Dave
[/quote]

So glad that you have asked!!! It’s good that you have come here to seek the truth. :slight_smile:

Genesis 3:15 is the first place, actually.

Second, this may be of some help. :slight_smile:

God bless you & Mary keep you!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :cool:

This is not possible. We are all fallen and broken creatures in need of the loving forgiveness of Our Father in Heaven.

See how difficult is the struggle between the light and the dark; no professed religious even in an enclosed community is pure. They readily avail themselves of the Holy and Blessed Sacrament of Reconciliation whenever it is offered. The Late Holy Father John Paul II availed himself of Confession at least once every week.

So Confession, with its penitential rite and forgiveness is a necessity but so also is regular worship before the Eucharist. We need the loving forgiveness of God Our Father, and we need to receive Him Body and Blood in the Holy Sacrifice of the Eucharistic Mass.

Why? Do you have a Colander at home? Do you notice that it has holes in it? You put the pasta or the beans or whatever in it and the water can drain out through those holes?

We are like that Colander. Every day we are filled with God’s love through his munificence and when we receive Him and take him inside of ourselves. But, as we are fallen humanity, we have holes in us; we leak! Our leaking takes the form of gossiping about others, or being dishonest, or telling lies, or profaning Gods Word; whatever. In myriad ways we sin every hour of every day.

So we leak out all this love of God and so we need to constantly be topping up this love.

[quote=Robert in SD]I think that Jesus was telling his followers that they were to try to be perfect like our Father in Heaven is perfect. But we, as fallen beings, cannot be perfect. We are fundamentally pulled towards sin, and “all have fallen short.” That is why Jesus gave us a Church that offers us the sacrament of Reconciliation. So we can always have the ability to make a new start and try again. I know I am not perfect, just forgiven - to quote a bumper sticker. :smiley:

Peace,
[/quote]

Yes that is right. No Human Being is perfect (except Jesus Christ). We can never be perfect but we can try to be perfect and be righteous.

[quote=viktor aleksndr]Yes that is right. No Human Being is perfect (except Jesus Christ). We can never be perfect but we can try to be perfect and be righteous.
[/quote]

I disagree.

God would not ask us to do the impossible, and Jesus asks us to be perfect as His father in heaven is perfect.

On a different note:

After confession, do we agree that we are sinless for even a microsecond, the few seconds it takes to walk out of the booth we remain sinless, no?

If we invite Gods grace into Our hearts do you think it is impossible to conquer sin??

I for one can say, that although i am a million miles from perfect, i am a darn lot better than 6 months ago, what makes you think I cant continue in that trend. In fact there are times of the day, if only for a few minutes at time, that i dont sin, when i am so close to God that sin does not enter my mind. Whether or not that is temporary is irrelevant, dont tell me I cant make it permanent, i firmly believe that IS possible, whether or not its super hardness makes it seem impossible is irrelevant.

Although Our nature is sinful, we can overcome it.

Jesus would not have asked us to do the impossible, what makes you think he did?

Andre.

This sums it up quite completely. Jesus would not call us to be like Him if we couldn’t. Yes, it is highly improbable, but not impossible.

Notworthy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.