Can we discuss Judaism without the politics?

Thank you!

Alright, I had a problem with the video 3 minutes in. The Jewish concert, who’s name I already forget, made a huge mistake. He said we place Talmud over Scripture. Assuming then that the last time he read the opening chapter of Pirkei Avot was when he was in yeshiva? To be frank about it, we ALWAYS put the Torah over Talmud even though there are no contradictions. Secondly, education teaches us that if we find an apparent error between the two, always be lenient with Talmud. Ask anyone else whose Orthodox Jewish on this site. If you have safek (a doubt) on d’oraita (Torah law) over d’rabbanan (rabbinic law), always go with Torah first. Logic 101. If between two Torah laws, take the strictest position (machmir); if between two rabbinic ones, be again, lenient (makil). What is this in Hebrew? safek d’oraita l’humra; safek d’rabbanan l’kula.

Suppose you read two of the morning prayers (Bar’khu and Shema), but then you suddenly have amnesia (just for argument’s sake), and forget. Well, what do you do in this situation? You read the Shema first, for its a Torah commandment (Devarim 6:7), then cite the rabbinic one.

I just wanted to make that point. I’m not complying much, but that had to clarified for anyone else who’d watch the video - by the way, I’m still going to finish it regardless of all this, don’t get the wrong impression.

Finished it, very interesting, I’d like to learn more.

Thank you Rabbi…here is another video from this same Jewish convert…it’s interesting to me as a Christian to fully understand what he says…that salvation…for all of mankind is from the Jews…and that Jews should be proud of that fact…of course he is referring to his belief that Jesus Christ was the promised Messiah…I hope you don’t think I’m trying to convert you Rabbi…it’s interesting as a Catholic hearing about how a Jew came to the acknowledge Christ as the Messiah…I hope you don’t mind this video even if you don’t agree with him…I think that we as Christians probably don’t put as much emphasis on the fact that yes…we do owe our salvation from the Jews…our Lord was born a Jew…of a Jewish mother…all the early Christians were Jews…Christianity itself evolved out of Judaism…the Jews are Gods chosen people…perhaps other posters on here would like to give input to this thread

Thank you for sharing that. It touched my heart. I will now go and watch the next video above.

Just put the shovel down and walk away…

One last aside…my father landed on D-Day as a US Army soldier from the beaches of Normandy till the end…he personally saw the atrocities. He has the Purple Hearts, Silver and Bronze stars to prove it if you are dubious. Not to mention many years of silent PTSD suffering. He was one of three survivors of his original unit.

The man was a stoic Cherokee and suffered immensely and quietly at what he saw till the day he died. Not just the liberating of the death camps but the suffering on both sides.
He was infantry and he was with the armored division and marched behind the tanks all the way. Corpses under treads is nothing new.
Never, ever underestimate the cruelty and pain man can inflict upon one another, especially in a time of war. Killing, unbelievable violence, rape and torture towards man, woman, child, the elderly even animals…anything with a heartbeat. War perverts the mind and scars the conscience and soul.

When I told my dad I joined the Marines in 1983, for the first time I saw him cry…it took me years to really understand why.

The things you are skeptical of (such as tanks rolling over people) are benign compared to the reality of the horrors set upon the Jewish folks and the gypsies, retarded and mentally ill people…and others who were unfortunate enough to fall under the Nazis march to oblivion.

The Russians too can tell you about the unimaginable atrocities they suffered. And suffer they did at the hands of the Nazis. The Russians however had some ability to fight back, the Jews were rounded up like animals and had no such recourse available to them, the Germans had made sure they could not fight back nor defend themselves. Another evil beset on the Jews living in Germany when Hitler started to rise to power. The Jews were all but defenseless. It makes my stomach turn.

Do yourself a favor and talk to some survivors why they are still with us and pick up a flipping history book…see the historical photos for yourself, read of the first hand account of the wonderful Jewish people who survived.

Almost 6 million Jews died…of all ages…more then 17 million died in the conflict overall…by what you perceive as “mustache twirling Nazis”. The reason they went to “gassing” is they were running out of ammunition to shoot all those in the concentration camps, they need a more efficient way to kill mass amounts of people. Bullets were needed at the fronts. Try and wrap your head around the shear logistics of killing and disposing that many people. Starvation took too long…gas was quicker. Again, not my opinion, but that of people who were actually there.

When you lend any credence to deniers or to the veracity of suffering the Jewish people, the Gypsies and people of Roma, the Polish the Russians and many others endured you only allow traction for revisionist history.

Peace, I’m out…

M

Rabbi,

Thank you for the thread…

I LOVE the Jewish people…I mean they are God’s chosen folk, the apple of His eye!

As a Christian I am always amazed at what they have had to endure, from the beginning when God chose them and sent them out of Egypt to knowing what they would have to do to His son…unimaginable…my mind cannot grasp it.
I always feel a pull in my heart towards the Jewish nation, culture and customs…their observation of God. I am humbled to be allowed to learn about the People God chose for himself, and what He knew must come to pass at their hands for little ol’ me to live forever with Him…

Utterly amazing…

M

I could make a comment or two, but it would be nit-picking.

Well said.

In Eastern Orthodox Church the Eucharist is a re-iteration of the Last Supper as Jesus himself did it at the beginning of his church. It is a re -enactment on that supper. We believe it is close to a time-travel reiteration of it. The term a priest used to explain it to me was “actualization”. During the Eucharist Christ comes to be present amongst us as he was present to the Apostles. That is besides the Sacrifice which in itself is left a mystery since the Bible does not offer much more than what he said about the bread and the wine.

I’ll make a comment of a sort.

I’ve stood next to my wife in a crowd like this in Russia and England when she carried a picture of her own grandparents who served. Even in London the crowd of people doing it was well over a thousand strong, in her home city it was immeasurably larger.

The gentleman whose father was at Normandy has a reaction that sounds quite similar to many of the veterans I talked to or encountered in Russia. What they saw stuck in their mind for life. My wife’s grandfather was similarly quite stoic and not overly emotional but he did not talk about what he saw during the WW2 era as it plainly disturbed him greatly and he woke up screaming sometimes in his sleep ever after. This is a man who was as hard as nails and who was very much an old school hard-nosed soldier. He was not easily upset. He talked to my wife and brother-in-law a couple of times about what he saw as he got older as he wanted them to keep the memory of it alive and for it not to go unrecorded to death with him but it was plainly very difficult for him to do so. He talked to me once as well as he felt those from outside the area needed to keep the history of it alive if possible also. The tension on his face was incredible.

I’ll make a similar comment. There were few of my relatives who had actual combat experience in WWII. But they, and non-family friends who had also been there and back had the same reaction. My mother used to tell me of her brother, who, after the war, would sit on the back steps with her, half the night, and talk, unable to sleep. But he wouldn’t talk of the war.

Perhaps my wife’s uncle would have. But he didn’t quite make it to the Roer.

Much of history is sliding into the memory hole. One does what one can.

Is there anything else you guys would like me to answer? I’ll be glad to help!

Do jews completely deny the resurrection of Jesus? What’s the Jewish explanation of the gospels? Do jews consider them to be historically inaccurate?

I think most Jews accept that Jesus was a historical figure as were the Apostles, He was a rabbi, and He was crucified. But that’s about as far as Jews go. They do not accept Jesus as a prophet, nor the Messiah, and certainly not G-d. The Gospels are taken as literary narrative, no doubt some parts of which are true; but they are not taken as Holy Scripture inspired by G-d. I’m sure Rabbi can add more to this.

An idea: Why not a single post with definitions of the Judaic terms that Christians may not be familiar with? And easy reference, if you will.

http://www.jewfaq.org/m/glossary.htm

Thank you. Very helpful. But don’t make us WORK for it - it’s the L-rd’s day for us! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I would guess that it remains within a Sabbath Day’s surfing… :wink:

Thanks for reminding me. I should take the extra time to celebrate Yom Tov (even though its a rabbinic establishment) more than I do. Sometimes it get annoying missing so much time that its more of a distraction than a form of spiritual fulfillment. I will do my best however this year to do better.

And yes, you’re right 100%, Yom Tov is almost exactly like Shabbat! I hope I didn’t kindle the flames, there’s an old Jewish joke (based on the Talmud) that for those who sin, but keep Shabbat, G-d remembers to lower the fires on that day in hell!

Actually, note in Jewish tradition that our version of hell is more along the lines of contemplation than torment. It only lasts for 12 months max.

This article was written in 2007:

As Farmers and Fields Rest, a Land Grows Restless

As Israel’s Jews start a new year, the country finds itself in the middle of a fierce dispute over a religious mandate that requires land to be left fallow every seven years.

And,
MENU
JTA

Understanding Shmita, Israel’s agricultural Shabbat: https://www.jta.org/2014/09/09/news-opinion/israel-middle-east/understanding-shmita-israels-agricultural-shabbat-1

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.