Can we fall once in heaven as Satan did?

I have often heard that Satan cannot repent, because as a member of the heavenly hosts -he could evaluate the full implication of his decision to reject God before making it. Satan was in heaven in the presence of God when he chose to fall.
What theological reason could we give to answer an inquiry as to how I can have a greater assurance than Satan that I would never fall when in heaven.
Is there authority for your comment: a church document?
I would be happy to hear opinions but I already have those. God Bless you all. :thumbsup:

[quote=jdemelo]I have often heard that Satan cannot repent, because as a member of the heavenly hosts -he could evaluate the full implication of his decision to reject God before making it. Satan was in heaven in the presence of God when he chose to fall.
What theological reason could we give to answer an inquiry as to how I can have a greater assurance than Satan that I would never fall when in heaven.
Is there authority for your comment: a church document?
God Bless you all. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Well, this is my own limited knowledge and opinion, so I apologize if anything I say is off…

To my knowledge, if we are able to enter Heaven eventually, that means we have choosen Christ on this Earth and have lived a good life according to His words, ect…
So, once we enter Heaven, we are in the presence of God and will have completed our purpose, to unite with God. Through this, we will be filled with eternal joy and truly be in "heaven"
Angels are different beings then us, therefore they have more and different abilities then we do… Such as, they were created near God, and they made a choice, whether to stay with him or not, and Satan choose not to and is now in Hell. He’s made his choice, knew the outcome, but still accepted it.
So, to me it seems once a human enters heaven, they have choosen God, just as they can choose to reject God.
So, we cannot fall in Heaven then as we have already choosen God, as Satan choose to reject him. Also because we will be complete, fufilled and feel love like we cannot here on Earth, being eternally in bliss. Everything else will become irrelevant as we will be in joy, therefore would not turn away.
Also, I do not believe we’d be able to feel such things as envy and jealousy of God as Satan felt, because we are not the same beings…

Well, hope my guess helps you somewhat.

In Christ,
CC

[quote=CatholicCid]Well, this is my own limited knowledge and opinion, so I apologize if anything I say is off…

To my knowledge, if we are able to enter Heaven eventually, that means we have choosen Christ on this Earth and have lived a good life according to His words, ect…
So, once we enter Heaven, we are in the presence of God and will have completed our purpose, to unite with God. Through this, we will be filled with eternal joy and truly be in "heaven"
Angels are different beings then us, therefore they have more and different abilities then we do… Such as, they were created near God, and they made a choice, whether to stay with him or not, and Satan choose not to and is now in Hell. He’s made his choice, knew the outcome, but still accepted it.
So, to me it seems once a human enters heaven, they have choosen God, just as they can choose to reject God.
So, we cannot fall in Heaven then as we have already choosen God, as Satan choose to reject him. Also because we will be complete, fufilled and feel love like we cannot here on Earth, being eternally in bliss. Everything else will become irrelevant as we will be in joy, therefore would not turn away.
Also, I do not believe we’d be able to feel such things as envy and jealousy of God as Satan felt, because we are not the same beings…

Well, hope my guess helps you somewhat.

In Christ,
CC
[/quote]

I think in general I agree with Catholic Cid that once in heaven, we will not fall. I think this as our love for God will be so strong and “perfected” that it is choice so irrational that it won’t be done. However, God loves us so much that we have free will and are able to choose to love or reject Him. I think that free will doesn’t cease at Heaven’s Gate or else in Heaven we would be gloriously and magnificently God’s serfs as opposed to freely giving him our love and service.

God does not command our love, He gives us an oppurtunity to accept or reject him.

For the angels, that time came at moment of creation.

Each angel was given (some) knowledge of God’s Plan, and could choose for themselves (not as a race), but the choice was irrevocable.

Man, stood or fell as a race, not as individuals. But Man is given many oppurtunities to choose or reject God. In fact, that is the very purpose of our Life on Earth, to come to know God and to accept Him so we can be with Him.

Though, like the angels, our final choice is just than, Final.

[quote=jdemelo]I have often heard that Satan cannot repent, because as a member of the heavenly hosts -he could evaluate the full implication of his decision to reject God before making it. Satan was in heaven in the presence of God when he chose to fall.
[/quote]

No, Satan was NOT in heaven in the presence of God when he rebelled against God. One who is in the presence of the beatific vision would be unable to choose against God. Satan and the angels, like Adam & Eve, were first tested before being admitted into the presence of God.

Likewise, in heaven, once we are admitted into the presence of the beatific vision, we can no longer sin.

Where are the documents that would answer this question??

This can be found in the Catholic Catechism.

*PART 1, SECTION 2 2, CHAPTER 3 3, ARTICLE 12, SUBSECTION 2 *

**II. HEAVEN **

1023 Those who die in God’s grace and friendship and are perfectly purified live for ever with Christ. They are like God for ever, for they “see him as he is,” face to face: 598

By virtue of our apostolic authority, we define the following: According to the general disposition of God, the souls of all the saints . . . and other faithful who died after receiving Christ’s holy Baptism (provided they were not in need of purification when they died, . . . or, if they then did need or will need some purification, when they have been purified after death, . . .) already before they take up their bodies again and before the general judgment - and this since the Ascension of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ into heaven - have been, are and will be in heaven, in the heavenly Kingdom and celestial paradise with Christ, joined to the company of the holy angels. Since the Passion and death of our Lord Jesus Christ, these souls have seen and do see the divine essence with an intuitive vision, and even face to face, without the mediation of any creature. 599

1024 This perfect life with the Most Holy Trinity - this communion of life and love with the Trinity, with the Virgin Mary, the angels and all the blessed - is called “heaven.” Heaven is the ultimate end and fulfillment of the deepest human longings, the state of supreme, definitive happiness.

1025 To live in heaven is “to be with Christ.” The elect live “in Christ,” 600 but they retain, or rather find, their true identity, their own name. 601

For life is to be with Christ; where Christ is, there is life, there is the kingdom. 602

1026 By his death and Resurrection, Jesus Christ has “opened” heaven to us. The life of the blessed consists in the full and perfect possession of the fruits of the redemption accomplished by Christ. He makes partners in his heavenly glorification those who have believed in him and remained faithful to his will. Heaven is the blessed community of all who are perfectly incorporated into Christ.

1027 This mystery of blessed communion with God and all who are in Christ is beyond all understanding and description. Scripture speaks of it in images: life, light, peace, wedding feast, wine of the kingdom, the Father’s house, the heavenly Jerusalem, paradise: “no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him.” 603

1028 Because of his transcendence, God cannot be seen as he is, unless he himself opens up his mystery to man’s immediate contemplation and gives him the capacity for it. The Church calls this contemplation of God in his heavenly glory “the beatific vision”:

How great will your glory and happiness be, to be allowed to see God, to be honored with sharing the joy of salvation and eternal light with Christ your Lord and God, . . . to delight in the joy of immortality in the Kingdom of heaven with the righteous and God’s friends. 604

1029 In the glory of heaven the blessed continue joyfully to fulfill God’s will in relation to other men and to all creation. Already they reign with Christ; with him “they shall reign for ever and ever.” 605

http://www.kofc.org/images/1px_transparent.gif

No.Once in Heaven,we won’t fall because that is going to be our eternal stay with God.Satan fell because God created him along the rest of the Angels in Heaven and He wanted to test them to see how faithful the Angels were to God.That was in the beginning when God created the Angels.:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.