Can we get some NEWS?

So last night I turn on one of the cable news networks and they are talking about the First Lady wearing shorts – they sounded so shocked I thought they meant daisy dukes until I turned & looked.

So I switch to another “news” channel. They’re talking about a former Playboy pet who was murdered, supposed by her reality-show star boyfriend, now heading for Canada. That’s the whole story. They chewed on it for the whole hour (I kept checking back).

After more searching I found a channel (CNN, I think) that was reporting on the release of the Lockerbie bomber. Finally! News! Maybe they hadalready disposed of Shortsgate and the bunny-cide earlier in the show.

With all these “news” channels why isn’t there one that will ignore all the idiotic stuff and just stick to the news? You know, the wars (remember?), congressional corruption, corporate malfeasance, all that bad stuff.

I go nuts. I mean the world is going to Hell in a handbasket and they’re talking about Michelle Obama’s attire for half the show. Let the E! channel take care of that for mercy sake.

I feel this way especially about the local news channels. It seems they’re already crunched for time, especially in the mornings when they alot 45 seconds for the “fun” cooking and karate segments, and yet they sacrifice valuable time to talk about last night’s American Idol results. :shrug:

:D:D:D I agree!! That’s all fill in news. They have supposedly nothing else to fill up that time but with trash!! News isn’t news anymore.There ratings are low so they need something to boost them. Stuff that I don’t care to watch. I’ll stick with EWTN and Food TV for now.:nerd:

May God Bless you Abundantly:highprayer:

Actually, I find a young woman being killed by her ex-husband, not reality t.v. boyfriend, to be news worthy. She was a model, yes, not that it should matter. Is it her career as a swimsuit model that makes her death not news worthy? What he did to her was terrible. He cut off all of her fingers and pulled out all of her teeth, cut her up and stuffed her in a suitcase. Now he is on the run. Sounds like “bad stuff” to me. They “chewed” on it because he’s a killer on the run. Sorry if murder is too fluffy of a news topic for you!

Happymommy said “Actually, I find a young woman being killed by her ex-husband, not reality t.v. boyfriend, to be news worthy. She was a model, yes, not that it should matter. Is it her career as a swimsuit model that makes her death not news worthy? What he did to her was terrible. He cut off all of her fingers and pulled out all of her teeth, cut her up and stuffed her in a suitcase. Now he is on the run. Sounds like “bad stuff” to me. They “chewed” on it because he’s a killer on the run. Sorry if murder is too fluffy of a news topic for you!”

Murder is not a fluffy news event obviously. But murders probably need to be reported LOCALLY unless there are well known individuals involved.
I did not need to know about that murder in Oklahoma. it did not occur here nor are they looking for the suspect here. If it was commited here or if she was a politicians wife ( or real celebrity) then I could see why it would be on world news. But she wasn’t. And he wasn’t. The media gives far too much attention to situations that do not merit world release. And they leave out some more important ones in the process.
I do watch Fox. I dislike Greta and her desire to beat a story to death (Natalee Holliway).
I will not watch Nancy Grace (CNN) for the same reasons. And Sean Hannity has lost me as well. O’reilly is still our 10-11pm news show. but frankly I get tired of his self agrandissment. Someone says something unflattering about him or about Fox and he is all over it. He could be so much better and is on occasion. I like how he tries to interview both sides. I don’t like sarcasm when he uses it.
I refuse to watch MSNBC because they simply slant everything. The latest thing to irk me was a diatribe about gun carrying white racists when the video they showed was a black man with two guns at an Obama town hall.
Straighten up guys. Like now.

Folks with a lot of disposable income (ie not enough kids) are interested in this idiotic stuff. Advertisers, who want their slice of that disposable income, greatly influence what the media pumps out.

This is precisely why I get my news from innerwebs forums and journals. I figure if it’s important enough I’ll hear of it.

The ‘infotainment’ content of television news may be more agenda-driven than viewer-driven.

Most PBS affiliates show BBC news reruns. Brits seems to actually care about news outside the home island. Weird, huh? Often they have better US national news that we do.

The PBS news hour is generally fairly absent of the Bitney Spears/Paris Hilton variety of news too, if sometimes rather leftist in perspective.

I stick with Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert each night! Though it’s humor, I love the way they poke fun at cable news, which should be renamed “political opinion.”

ewtn.com/tv/index.asp

All Next Week: Don’t Miss ‘Noise’: An EWTN Original Production

*Are you sick of much of the secular media and its biased agenda, but feeling helpless about how you and your family can respond? Then tune into our new series, “Noise” with EWTN Favorite Teresa Tomeo.

Each weekday evening next week at 6:30 p.m. ET, watch Media Expert Teresa Tomeo as she presents a highly entertaining series on Catholicism and the media.

Monday, she looks at the problems created by the negative media saturation of our culture; Tuesday, she considers the cultural problems created by the saturation of violent imagery in the media; Wednesday, she looks at what the Church teaches about the proper use of the media; Thursday, she looks at how the media can be used as a tool for evangelization; and Friday, she sums it all up by giving us ways we can combat negative media saturation and make a positive difference! Each 30-minute episode will also air at 3 a.m.

I didn’t say it’s not news. I jsut don’t think it’s a whole hour’s (or 44 min’s) worth. She & her ex are both semi-celebrities, plus it was, as you point out, a terribly grisly crime so of course there will be nat’l coverage. But one segment on each show on all the networks ought to suffice.

My wife, a far better person than I, was upset for a different reason – that they were dwelling on (revelling in?) the gory details of the crime and how she had to be identified. DW’s comment, “They don’t have to say all that stuff, her mother has to hear that.”

I have said on these forums how I like EWTN, and Food TV channel. But I like Colbert a lot, because he is so funny. Especially when he did this bit on his Fall Back Position if he should lose his job as a host for his show. One of them was being an astro-physicist. Imagine Colbert an astro-physicist.:rotfl:

I believe he is also catholic. I wonder how much of his faith plays a part in his way of doing shows. I don’t watch him all the time, but when I do he is pretty funny.

God Bless you:signofcross:

um…you do know that the Colbert Report is satire, right?

The character started out on The Daily Show as an imitation of Fox News hosts-most people think it’s supposed to be Sean Hannity.

Honestly a bigger concern than news not talking about important things is news talking about important things with a bias. You really cannot trust any cable news station these days because they essentially pick and choose what to talk about in order to support their political beliefs.

It’s the satire that I love. Partly because it’s really funny, and partly due to my disdain for cable news/opinion a la Sean Hannity.

Speaking of, this clip of Colbert is OUTSTANDING! colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/59606/february-27-2006/the-de-deification-of-the-american-faithscape

Seeing him recite the Nicene Creed is amazing: you can tell no teleprompters were needed.

I LOVED IT!!!:stuck_out_tongue:

God Bless:highprayer:

I agree that the actor is probably Catholic, because he does have more than a nodding acquaintance with the Church-however, I wouldn’t assume that what he says on that show are his actual opinions.

I used to watch O’Reilly and Hannity & Colmes. Both have become more entertainment than news. I also really like the BBC news on PBS. I have to dig for information about Afghanistan or Somalia. I don’t care about the first lady’s wardrobe or hair. I don’t care what an actor thinks about politics. Teresa Tomeo on the radio each morning is pretty good. Try her. Ave Maria radio.

Colbert is doing his knock off of Bill O’Reily (The Factor) … his show graphics etc are direct parodies. Also Colbert did an interview on O’Reily and vice versa after the show was into its second year (if I remember correctly).

The reason we have no “news” on “cable” or the “networks” is that we nolonger have any NEWS REPORTERS. IMNSO, no one is objective anymore and they are all trying to get you to bow down to the god of global warming and the god of wealth redistribution. :yawn:

– Cadian :knight1:

Here’s the video of the two of them :rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.