Can we go to the wedding of protestant relative who is divorced?

So heres the deal. My husband’s cousin is getting married. This is his second marriage. His first marriage ended because his wife had severe bi-polar issues. She actually took off with his kids, and was pretty crazy.

Anyway, he got divorced and I sorta wonder if that first marriage could be considered legit with the wife have serious issues.Anyway, he has been living with this new fiance and they are getting married in January. Do you think its okay to attend the wedding? Mu husband just told me about it and I am afraid to even suggest to him that we may not be able to go…but I know in the end he will do whatever is right.

What do you think?

I’d be more concerned about the “living together” - that may be an impediment to validity and even Protestants know this is a “no-no”. I agree with your suspicion that the first wife might not have been able to give full consent but formal determination could only be made if the marriage is examined properly. Since they are not Catholic, it seems unlikely they would submit to that.

All marriages enjoy the favor of the law. They are valid until and unless they are declared null by a Catholic marriage Tribunal.

Personally, no. You know it is an invalid attempt at marriage. You could perhaps go to the reception.

You can do a search on Ask the Apologist. There are several questions of this nature with good, balanced advice on how to approach this without causing a rupture in family relationships.

Jesus,our Lords peace be whit You.
Why on earth You think You can’t go? I mean You are catholics,but You are not getting married,by going You don’t do nothing wrong. By not going You do. They invited You and it is rude to not go.

Well there is certain situations where you are not allowed to attend…because you are supported a marriage which is not recognized as valid…and thus is basically fornication. Its actually part of the Church’s teachings. My brother-in-law actually ran into this very situation. His sister is not Catholic but the guys she married was. They got married outside the Church, thus the marriage is no valid. My brother-in-law could not attend the marriage because that would basicaly mean he was supporting an invalid marriage…and something sinful.His family threatened to disown him if he didnt go ( they ar eno Catholic either) but in the end he was so happy he didnt give in and go, and his family got over it. It was an amazing example of standing up to the truth even when it hurts…and it was a great chance to evangelize.

So there are certain situations where you cannot go and celebrate a marriage, esp. if that marriage is not a real one. You cannot go and celebrate a lie.

This is a difficult one. I think given the circumstances you give my gut instinct would be to go. If you don’t it could lead to serious problems in your family. It doesn’t mean you agree with what is happening and if you don’t go the wedding if going to happen anyway. The practicalities are that as protestants they’re not going to feel bound by Catholic “rules”.

I don’t suggest that our marriage laws are simply matters of Church discipline. Many of what I’ve called “rules” are natural or divine law. However, many protestants (I know not all) view marriage in a very similar way as the state _ as a legal contract that can be dissolved.

If you do decide to go you can still pray for them that one day they may understand marriage in the way the Church teaches.

The other thing to bear in mind is not to play any active role in the service and in the unlikely event they have some form of communion, as I’m quite sure you know, don’t receive.

All this is of course just my honest opinion and it’s what I think I’d do. Other posters, or your Parish Priest, should be able to tell you what the Church’s official line on this matter may be.

Good luck with coming to the right decision:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.