Can we have our grandchild baptized?

Several years ago, my son married a woman, but not in the Catholic Church. Even though he grew up as a practicing Catholic and attended Catholic school through high school, after he moved out on his own, he stopped going to church. They had a baby last January and our whole family has been praying for their family. Today he asked me about having the baby baptized. He wanted to know if, even though he was not going to church, and his marriage was not recognized in the Catholic church, could his daughter be baptized.

My husband and I are practicing Catholics and would like to have the baby baptized. Can we act as parents for the baptism? We are willing to raise the child as a Catholic and my son and his wife are OK with that. His sisters and their husbands will be Godparents and are also practicing Catholics.

The following link should help answer your question about the baptism of your grandchild. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

How can I get my grandson baptized?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.