Can we help souls who have been sent to hell?

I’ve been reading up on Our Lady of Fatima and what went on there through Sister Lucia’s writings, and I came across something interesting when I was reading about the vision of hell Mary flashed before the 3 children. She said something about them being poor souls who, for the most part, were there because nobody prayed for their souls. This got me thinking: is there anything we can do for them? Our God is all powerful, merciful, and loving, and nothing is impossible for Him. With this message from Fatima, would it be accurate to say that we can still save souls even if they have been sent to hell by praying for them? I know hell is supposed to be eternal and impossible to escape from, and some may choose to stay; but our God is known for making the impossible possible.

The following link should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church’s teaching on praying for souls in Hell. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]
Should we pray for those in hell?**
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.