Can we really become like Christ?

My Friend is a witch and told me that we cannot become like Christ because Christ was perfect and that the Bible tells us that this is imposible. I dont agree with him, but what can I say to rebuke his answer??

Dear Finex,

Your friend is a witch. What does he know? Where does Scripture say that it is impossible for us to become like Christ? On the contrary, the Bible commands us to be perfect: “Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect.” (Mt. 5:48) Certainly it is impossible for us to ever equal God. But with sanctifying grace we are able to live on His level. St. Paul speaks of becoming so united with Christ that he can say: “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Gal 2:20)

When the Angel Gabriel told Mary that her cousin Elizabeth who had been barren was now in her sixth month of pregnancy, he said: “For nothing is impossible with God.” (Lk 1:37) Your friend is not setting his sights high enough. He needs to meet Jesus Christ!

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.