Can we "sin no more"

This is a quote from an article:

“The believer’s responsibility is to believe that what God says is true—that he is dead to all sin and alive unto God, that is, he is now freed from the power of sin. We should and can sin no more!”

A protestant brought this article up who did not aggree with this premise. I wanted to give more of a Catholic view point but am not really sure what to say. Can anyone give me some insight?
Thank you
Lora

I agree with the article. God calls us all to be sinless and He doesn’t demand the impossible. :thumbsup:

One of the responses to her was this "I totally disagree- it is not possible for a christian to not sin… somehow, somewhere- you can sin without even KNOWING you did! That is not to say we should go ahead and sin intentioanlly, sin is still sin no matter what and there is no excusing it.

“He that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin.” James 4:17

Another person wrote “There is none righteous, none that seeks after the Lord. So if there is evil present in the one who wills to do good (vs 21), it’s referring to a Christian. It just isn’t reconcilable with the rest of Scripture that we become Christians and sin no more.”

I don’t think it is possible for humans to not sin. Otherwise Jesus wouldn’t have instituted the sacrament of reconciliation. We can do our best to not sin, but we are not perfect and will sin sooner or later. It may be something we don’t realize is a sin at the time. Anyway that is just my opinion, but I certainly have a lot to learn and thanks to you all I am slowly learning more and more every day. :smiley:

PS I’m a newbie and I haven’t figured out to use spell check if there is one here! :confused: Any suggestions?

1st John addresses this at length. I never really understood 1st John until I understood Catholicism.

Pr 24:16 -
…For [even] a righteous man falls seven times, and rises again

[quote=Fish]I don’t think it is possible for humans to not sin.
[/quote]

Mary didn’t sin. :slight_smile:

Anyway, everyone answer me this: does God call us not to sin? Does God ever demand the impossible of us? With Him all things are possible, however improbable something might be. :thumbsup:

"My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for[a] the sins of the whole world."
1 John 2

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.