Sincerely,
Eric J. Sawyer

Yes? More, please.

Receiving Jesus. How awesome is that!?!

Welcome!!!

God bless,
Linda

Sure! What would you like to know? :compcoff:

We are all waiting for your question or point about the Eucharist.
What is it?

Hi there.

The Eucharist = Receiving Jesus ? Is this correct?
If so, would you please explain what you mean?
If not, would you please explain what you mean?

Sincerely
Eric J. Sawyer

:tiphat: Hi there.

Nothing in particular, but I would like to talk about the Eucharist in general.

Sincerely,
Eric J. Sawyer

:popcorn:

We?

I don’t have a particular question about the Eucharist, but I am really interested in chatting about this. (and chatting in general about ideas related to this.)

Sincerely,
Eric J. Sawyer

Absolutely correct!! I don’t have much time now, but I have a question for you. Do you believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist?

Shall return,
Linda

Our priest recently said to the 2nd graders receiving first communion that it was unneccesary to make the sign of the cross after receiving as Jesus is now in you. I thought this a weird comment to make, especially as part of his homily that day. Why discourage any outwards signs of reverance? Do you all cross yourselves after receiving the eucharist?
As far as the real presence, are we not compelled to accept the real presence as a fact, whether we understand it or not, based on it being a tenet of our catholic faith? I, myself, believe!

Yes, we are required as Catholics to believe in the Real Presence. I do make the sign of the cross after receiving and don’t see a conflict. The Holy Spirit is in us all the time unless we are in mortal sin and no one thinks the sign of the cross conflicts with that… I think Eric isn’t Catholic and he just wants more info on the Eucharist. Am I correct Eric?
If so, Eric, yes Catholics believe that the priest has the power to change the bread and wine offered into the Body and Blood of Jesus with the words of consecration. Jesus told us at the Last Supper that the Church was to continue to do the same thing and that He would be with us always. He chooses to become flesh for us in Holy Communion just as truly as He became flesh at his Incarnation. So Catholics receive the true Body and Blood of Jesus in the Eucharist. The Mass itself is the same sacrifice that Jesus made for us at Calvary, just in an unbloody manner, and He offers Himself to the Father for us. Jesus gives Himself for us at Mass and offers Himself to us in Holy Communion. Read the 6th chapter of the Gospel of John, the Bread of Life discourse… Jesus wasn’t speaking symbolically about the Eucharist. It is really Jesus.

Hey Eric. WIRED gave you a good simple background of what we believe the Eucharist is.

I see that you are from England, so you may have seen or been to Anglican services that have “communion”. It is also important to know that only Catholic priests (both Latin and Eastern Rite) and our separated brother priests in the Eastern Orthodox churches can change bread and wine into the Eucharist.

Unfortunately, Eucharist and communion are used interchangeably by many and mean different things to different groups, e.g. some think it is only a symbol of Christ, others believe they are really changing the bread when they are not.

So moving forward, when Catholics speak of Eucharist or communion we mean receiving either bread or wine which God, through His priest, has changed into the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus.

Okay Linda,
I will be looking forward to your answer to:

Do I believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist?

I think I would be comfortable,at this point in saying, that I am experiencing the Spirit of JesusChrist in my innerbeing, as well as to some degree in others ( whether they be elect or not ), and to a lesser degree in animals, and radiating out to an ever diminishing degree as I gaze out into the night sky. ( Romans 1 )

Sincerely,
Eric J. Sawyer

Yes, I just ate it.

I see that you are from England, so you may have seen or been to Anglican services that have “communion”. It is also important to know that only Catholic priests (both Latin and Eastern Rite) and our separated brother priests in the Eastern Orthodox churches can change bread and wine into the Eucharist.

In the words of Sting, ‘I am an African in England’

Unfortunately, Eucharist and communion are used interchangeably by many and mean different things to different groups, e.g. some think it is only a symbol of Christ, others believe they are really changing the bread when they are not.

So moving forward, when Catholics speak of Eucharist or communion we mean receiving either bread or wine which God, through His priest, has changed into the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus.

:compcoff:

As I said to LindaSK,

I think I would be comfortable,at this point in saying, that I am experiencing the Spirit of JesusChrist in my innerbeing, as well as to some degree in others ( whether they be elect or not ), and to a lesser degree in animals, and radiating out to an ever diminishing degree as I gaze out into the night sky. ( Romans 1 )

Sincerely,
Eric J. Sawyer

I agree that WIRED gave you a good explanation. Since you still seem rather vague, I’m not sure quite where you are, where you want to be, or what you do and don’t accept in regards to the Eucharist.

Straight from the Catechism of the Catholic Church, the section on the Eucharist:
vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c1a3.htm

Now, if you are asking what my feeling is toward the Eucharist, here goes:

First, I do agree with the Catechism in totality. Jesus is truly present in the Eucharist - body, blood, soul, and divinity. Matthew 28:20 -* “And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.”* John 14:18 - *“I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.”*I heard a priest on EWTN explain that Christ came to us once as a baby. He promised a second coming. But he also comes to us every time we receive Him in the Eucharist. As WIRED suggested, you really should read the Bread of Life Discourse at the end of John 6, after the feeding of the five thousand.

A few parts of the Catechism that really reflect how important the Eucharist is to me:
1393 Holy Communion separates us from sin. The body of Christ we receive in Holy Communion is “given up for us,” and the blood we drink “shed for the many for the forgiveness of sins.” For this reason the Eucharist cannot unite us to Christ without at the same time cleansing us from past sins and preserving us from future sins: For as often as we eat this bread and drink the cup, we proclaim the death of the Lord. If we proclaim the Lord’s death, we proclaim the forgiveness of sins. If, as often as his blood is poured out, it is poured for the forgiveness of sins, I should always receive it, so that it may always forgive my sins. Because I always sin, I should always have a remedy.

This refers to our venial sins. What a grace for us!

And - **1395 **By the same charity that it enkindles in us, the Eucharist preserves us from future mortal sins. The more we share the life of Christ and progress in his friendship, the more difficult it is to break away from him by mortal sin. The Eucharist is not ordered to the forgiveness of mortal sins - that is proper to the sacrament of Reconciliation.

So, I see the Eucharist as a source of strength in our day-to-day activities and relationships, to do and to be what Christ calls us to.

Just this morning on EWTN, it was said that it takes about 15 minutes to digest a consecrated host - I think it was during the Mass celebrated by Pope Benedict in Portugal. In that 15 minutes, we are a living Tabernacle for our Lord and Savior! How awesome is that! "Eucharist’ means ‘thanksgiving’. That time, just after receiving Jesus, is the perfect time to give thanks to God for all the blessings He has given us, thanks for His forgiveness, and thanks for His grace and strength to do His will. AND, we can choose to receive Him DAILY!

It is also important not to receive Him unworthily. 1 Corinthians 11:
For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.
Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord.
A person should examine himself, and so eat the bread and drink the cup.
For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment on himself.

I do an Examination of Conscience when I pray before Mass, and before Communion. If I am harboring anger, etc., I will refrain from receiving Jesus and go to Confession as soon as possible. The Sacraments of the Eucharist and Confession have the potential for much grace if we approach them with a contrite and humble heart. He is waiting for us there.

I hope some of this is helpful.

God bless,
Linda

Does my reply seem vague?
I do think however, that you are not quite sure where I am, where I want to be, or what I do or do not accept in regards to the Eucharist.
Perhaps you might have considered responding to where I am and not forging ahead into where you are.

Now to your reply:

Straight from the Catechism of the Catholic Church, the section on the Eucharist:
vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c1a3.htm

I do so enjoy reading from the Vatican Archives, but my favourite reading is from the New Advent Encyclopeadia. Though I must admit I enjoyed reading most of “Jesus Christ The Bearer of the Water of Life” as well as, and ofcourse “Eucharist” in the New Advent Encyclopedia. :thumbsup:

Now, if you are asking what my feeling is toward the Eucharist, here goes:

My question was: (which is not really a question about how you feel about the Eucharist)

First, I do agree with the Catechism in totality.

Are you not supposed to agree with what has been handed down to us by our Lord, through the Apostle, and the Church?

Jesus is truly present in the Eucharist - body, blood, soul, and divinity. Matthew 28:20 -* “And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.”* John 14:18 - *“I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.”*I heard a priest on EWTN explain that Christ came to us once as a baby. He promised a second coming.

mmm. One day that last trumpet shall sound. :thumbsup:

But he also comes to us every time we receive Him in the Eucharist. As WIRED suggested, you really should read the Bread of Life Discourse at the end of John 6, after the feeding of the five thousand.

I have studied the whole of the gospel according to John, and enjoy reading it all in context.

A few parts of the Catechism that really reflect how important the Eucharist is to me:

This seems to be more about your beliefs, than a response to where I am, etc. (your first response, in this reply)

1393 *Holy Communion separates us from sin.

I do not agree.

[quote] For as often as we eat this bread and drink the cup, we proclaim the death of the Lord.

mmm.

If we proclaim the Lord’s death, we proclaim the forgiveness of sins. If, as often as his blood is poured out, it is poured for the forgiveness of sins, I should always receive it, so that it may always forgive my sins.

Because I always sin, I should always have a remedy.
[/quote]

I would think it might be better to celebrate His victory over sin and death, and the glorious resurrection. No?

This refers to our venial sins. What a grace for us!

And - **1395 **By the same charity that it enkindles in us, the Eucharist preserves us from future mortal sins. The more we share the life of Christ and progress in his friendship, the more difficult it is to break away from him by mortal sin. The Eucharist is not ordered to the forgiveness of mortal sins - that is proper to the sacrament of Reconciliation.

Perhaps this should be the next thing we can talk about, seeing as I have already explained to you that I am comfortable in my skin.

Question 2:
What is sin?

So, I see the Eucharist as a source of strength in our day-to-day activities and relationships, to do and to be what Christ calls us to.

I am not entirely sure how you got to this place in your reasoning, but Paul teaches in Colossians, that ‘we are complete in Him.’

Just this morning on EWTN, it was said that it takes about 15 minutes to digest a consecrated host - I think it was during the Mass celebrated by Pope Benedict in Portugal. In that 15 minutes, we are a living Tabernacle for our Lord and Savior! How awesome is that! "Eucharist’ means ‘thanksgiving’. That time, just after receiving Jesus, is the perfect time to give thanks to God for all the blessings He has given us, thanks for His forgiveness, and thanks for His grace and strength to do His will. AND, we can choose to receive Him DAILY!

Surely seeing as you have already received the Spirit by the hearing of faith, and body is the tabernacle of the Holy Spirit. (refer my comfortable comment, in this reply)

…more to follow in the next comment:

…continued (Part 2, of my reply to LindaSK)

It is also important not to receive Him unworthily. 1 Corinthians 11:
For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.
Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord.
A person should examine himself, and so eat the bread and drink the cup.
For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment on himself.

mmm. I was going to talk about my experiences around the Lord’s table, and certainly I experience the presence of G_d Almighty. Whenever believers gather together in the name of Jesus Christ, there He is in the midst of them. That is a glorious truth, of the Scriptures. (there I am - says Jesus - in the midst of them) and in the Old Testament (I shall dance in the congregation of the righteous) is that not a fine thought! He rejoices with us in this glorious Salvation brought to completion by one sacrifice for all. (Hebrews)

I do an Examination of Conscience when I pray before Mass, and before Communion. If I am harboring anger, etc., I will refrain from receiving Jesus and go to Confession as soon as possible. The Sacraments of the Eucharist and Confession have the potential for much grace if we approach them with a contrite and humble heart. He is waiting for us there.

Surely, He is already in you heart ? Search the Scriptures and learn what it means to receive Jesus Christ. It seems you have place the Eucharist ahead of regeneration.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Perhaps is has been a remedial affirmation of your beliefs, but it has not really engaged me where I am, etc. (your first response, in this thread)

I hope you next reply will engage me where I am, and not assume that I am ‘still rather vague’.

I will have a look at the link you provided and touch up on my knowledge of the whole subject, but for now I am comfortable in my skin.

Peace,
Eric J. Sawyer.

Okay, it is time to move on to something else: (something which LindaSK referred to in her explanation of the Eucharist, which she says differs from that which is described by the Vatican.)

Question 2:

What is Sin?

Sincerely,
Eric J. Sawyer

“**First, I do agree with the Catechism in totality.” ** These are my words. Please explain “her explanation of the Eucharist, which she says differs from that which is described by the Vatican”.

My bad. :nerd: I unconsciously misread your words, expecting that if someone is Roman Catholic they do, and hence your statement stored in the negative, hence my earlier reply, to what I read as: ‘…I don’t…’ :blush:

LindaSK
First, I do agree with the Catechism in totality.

RB,
Are you not supposed to agree with what has been handed down to us by our Lord, through the Apostle, and the Church?

I shall attend to your second reply, in a little while, I have to dash out and get some goodies before the rain comes. If it does.

Sincerely,
Eric J. Sawywer

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.