Can women be acolytes?

According to Redemptionis Sacramentum, a women may be an altar service with the permission of the bishop. My question is: can a woman perform the duties and functions of an acolyte? To try to circumvent the Church’s rules regarding only males being instigated as acolytes, my parish has implemented women as “senior servers.” These women undertake the role and duties of an acolyte during the mass. RS 119 would prohibit these women altar servers from purifying the sacred vessels at mass. If these women are also Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, can these women altar services distribute the Eucharist at Mass? Is there any official Church teaching on what roles a woman altar server can perform?

These links should be helpful. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

How do I explain inconsistent liturgical rubrics to my son?[

](“http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=24776”)Should a woman be a eucharistic minister?
Women Serving as Lectors?
Are altar servers only supposed to be boys?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.