Can you answer my "issues" that are in my way of becoming a Catholic?

I was baptized as Catholic, i “did” the eucharist and confirmation but recently i have a hard time deciding which is right, protestantism or catholicsm. And i have some questions and other issues that are in my way of becoming a true catholic. Some of them(questions and issues) are here and i hope you could answer them

1)Praying to Mary and saints. Worshiping Mary and saints. Isn’t that worshiping false idols? Mary was just a human right? She did give birth to Jesus but she was still just a human. Isn’t worshiping Mary and saints idoltary? In Acts 10:25-26 Peter refused to be worshiped. Exodus 20:4-5 says not to worship anything in the form of heaven above or earth below and not to bow to them. But many Catholics bow to Mary. Romans 1:25 :because they exchanged the truth about God for ua lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, vwho is blessed forever! Amen. This verse could not be clearer. Also Mary and the saints can’t be mediators because in 1 Timothy 2:5 it is clearly stated that Jesus is the only mediator between us and God.

2)Do Matthew 16:18 contradict history. I mean Matthew 16:18 states: 18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Gates of hell shall not prevail against it. But the Roman Catholic Church just to be corrupted. Bribes were sometimes used to become a pope, the job of a priest or a bishop was mostly seeked because of its status not necceseary because of what it was meant. Selling indulgences was in my opinion false doing. You can’t sell remmision of sins. And the Church burning at the stake of heretics, witches,… Many innocent witches were burned as far as i know. And still you can’t just burn a person. People who were practicing witchcraft, fortuntelling or anything like this were this because they wanted to. The Church could of told them it was wrong, but from there on it was they’re decision. So how to explain this.

3)Papal infallibity. I know what it is. I know there is some biblical evidence for it but all of it can be rejected by protestants. It is kinda logical that the pope cannot fall to error while talking about faith i think & morals from the “seat” as the leader of all Christians but he so rarely talks “ex cathedra” or something like that. Why is that? People still argue which pope statements might be inflallible or not. Why isn’t there a statement in the bible that would just say Peter is inflallible and his succesors will be also. There would be no rejection by the dogma of pope infallibity by protestants. Also assuming that papal infallibity is true, why would we think that the authority of infallible teaching would fall also on Peter suscessors if Jesus “promised” infallibity only to Peter. I know it says that apostles named bishops,… but it never says that they have the same God given authority that Peter had. Also the dogma of papal infallibity did according to wikipedia probably start at the beginning of 2nd millenium altough some other people there say that it started sooner. So it wasn’t a tradition since the apostoles. So how can we completely trust it if all catholic biblical evidence can be rejected by protestants. We need bigger insurance that that dogma is true.

1. Im not sure about the protestant salvation only thinking. But what is the catholic teaching on salvation. Can you be saved only by faith or by deeds too? Can atheist be saved? Did this “non-only salvation” catholic thinking originate from the beginning of Christianity? What proof do catholics have on this thinking?

5)Purgatory. As far as i know there is no biblical evidence for it. So how can we say that purgatory is real? How can we be sure? Was it tought since the apostles?

6)Orthodox vs Catholic. Both say that they have apostolic succesion. And these people were one Church back in the days. And then they split. So are they both true Churches. Why wouldn’t Orthodox Church(the Orthodox denomination that split) have apostolic succesion? Was it the RCC that was the first church established by apostles and then the Orthodox split from them and then the Protestants?

7)Rome supermacy. Why Rome and what does Rome supermacy mean to Catholics? Is there any solid evidence that Peter was in Rome?

8)Priests. And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.
Matthew 23:9
So why do Catholics call priests fathers? And pope father? Also why are there priests? There is no mentioning of them in the bible?

That’s that for now i think:). I said that i will write most of my issuses about Catholicsm here because i don’t know if i remember them all, so maybe i will write more future.
Im really starting to think that Roman Catholicism makes more sense than Protestantism but i don’t know yet. I really hope you could explain these thing to me. Thank you for your answers in advance.

Also one extra question: Does a Catholic have to agree on everything that Vatican or the pope says or only the inflallible teachings? Is the Cathecism 100% right. Is it thought to be an inflallible Church teaching by Catholics. If the pope says that, hypoteticaly, apples are of the devil but he doesn’t say that infallibly, does a Catholic have to agree with him?

i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu38/KatLore/thPopcorn_zps132ba188.gif

I’ll respond to #1

We do not worship Mary and the saints. When we pray to them it is asking them to intercede for us, just as you would ask a family member or friend to pray for you. Death does not separate other members from the Body of Christ.

We honor Mary and the saints because of their high level of sanctification. Mary especially, since she was given the grace of being without original sin from the first moment of her conception. Original sin means the tendency to sin, and the disharmony of our spirit and emotions which resulted from the fall from grace.

In your question you go on to mention sins and corruption in the members of the Church.

We agree that what you mentioned are very wrong and sinful in the eyes of the Lord. However, the sins of the members of the Church (even popes) do not eclipse the Truth of what the Lord teaches. Thanks to the grace of God we have many saints and martyrs in the Church.

I do not think there is sinlessness in Protestant denominations.

Yes, the Catechism is 100 percent right.

All of these subjects have been discussed on this website many times over. What you should probably do is use the search bar to find these topics and read about them first. Then, if you still have questions about it, you can post a thread for each topic individually. Anyone one of these topics can elicit a lengthy discussion, so it’s probably best to deal with each one seperately to avoid confusion. Many theologians have studied all of these topics for years before they understood them.

Golly, you have a lot of questions. and there are some very good answers coming because I’ve read them on here often. But the questions you must first ask yourself…

1. Do you believe in Jesus Christ?
  2. Do you believe he was the son of God?
  3. Do you think God would lie?
  4. Did Jesus start a church on the rock of Peter?
  5. Which church can trace it’s beginnings back to that rock and holds to the truths that Jesus taught even though the masses of people find them too hard to follow?

Keep asking questions. God loves you for it. Me, too!

catholic.com/tracts/do-catholics-worship-statues

catholic.com/tracts/praying-to-the-saints

2)Do Matthew 16:18 contradict history. I mean Matthew 16:18 states: 18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Gates of hell shall not prevail against it. But the Roman Catholic Church just to be corrupted. Bribes were sometimes used to become a pope, the job of a priest or a bishop was mostly seeked because of its status not necceseary because of what it was meant. Selling indulgences was in my opinion false doing. You can’t sell remmision of sins. And the Church burning at the stake of heretics, witches,… Many innocent witches were burned as far as i know. And still you can’t just burn a person. People who were practicing witchcraft, fortuntelling or anything like this were this because they wanted to. The Church could of told them it was wrong, but from there on it was they’re decision. So how to explain this.

catholic.com/tracts/myths-about-indulgences

catholic.com/tracts/primer-on-indulgences

3)Papal infallibity. I know what it is. I know there is some biblical evidence for it but all of it can be rejected by protestants. It is kinda logical that the pope cannot fall to error while talking about faith i think & morals from the “seat” as the leader of all Christians but he so rarely talks “ex cathedra” or something like that. Why is that? People still argue which pope statements might be inflallible or not. Why isn’t there a statement in the bible that would just say Peter is inflallible and his succesors will be also. There would be no rejection by the dogma of pope infallibity by protestants. Also assuming that papal infallibity is true, why would we think that the authority of infallible teaching would fall also on Peter suscessors if Jesus “promised” infallibity only to Peter. I know it says that apostles named bishops,… but it never says that they have the same God given authority that Peter had. Also the dogma of papal infallibity did according to wikipedia probably start at the beginning of 2nd millenium altough some other people there say that it started sooner. So it wasn’t a tradition since the apostoles. So how can we completely trust it if all catholic biblical evidence can be rejected by protestants. We need bigger insurance that that dogma is true.

catholic.com/tracts/papal-infallibility

catholic.com/tracts/apostolic-succession

1. Im not sure about the protestant salvation only thinking. But what is the catholic teaching on salvation. Can you be saved only by faith or by deeds too? Can atheist be saved? Did this “non-only salvation” catholic thinking originate from the beginning of Christianity? What proof do catholics have on this thinking?

catholic.com/tracts/assurance-of-salvation

5)Purgatory. As far as i know there is no biblical evidence for it. So how can we say that purgatory is real? How can we be sure? Was it tought since the apostles?

catholic.com/tracts/purgatory

6)Orthodox vs Catholic. Both say that they have apostolic succesion. And these people were one Church back in the days. And then they split. So are they both true Churches. Why wouldn’t Orthodox Church(the Orthodox denomination that split) have apostolic succesion? Was it the RCC that was the first church established by apostles and then the Orthodox split from them and then the Protestants?

catholic.com/tracts/eastern-orthodoxy

catholic.com/tracts/peters-successors

7)Rome supermacy. Why Rome and what does Rome supermacy mean to Catholics? Is there any solid evidence that Peter was in Rome?

catholic.com/tracts/was-peter-in-rome

catholic.com/quickquestions/the-bible-says-that-peter-wasnt-in-rome-so-how-could-he-be-its-first-bishop

8)Priests. And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.
So why do Catholics call priests fathers? And pope father? Also why are there priests? There is no mentioning of them in the bible?

catholic.com/tracts/call-no-man-father

catholic.com/tracts/bishop-priest-and-deacon

That’s that for now i think:). I said that i will write most of my issuses about Catholicsm here because i don’t know if i remember them all, so maybe i will write more future.
Im really starting to think that Roman Catholicism makes more sense than Protestantism but i don’t know yet. I really hope you could explain these thing to me. Thank you for your answers in advance.

Also one extra question: Does a Catholic have to agree on everything that Vatican or the pope says or only the inflallible teachings? Is the Cathecism 100% right. Is it thought to be an inflallible Church teaching by Catholics. If the pope says that, hypoteticaly, apples are of the devil but he doesn’t say that infallibly, does a Catholic have to agree with him?

catholic.com/documents/pillar-of-fire-pillar-of-truth

Happy reading!

You have soooo many, its hard to get to them all. What you should do is talk to a priest and get some help with your problems.

First of all. I am a life long Catholic, I am 76 years old and I have always been close to my faith. I have read soooo many wonderful books. Taught CCD for 20 years. Have many good holy priest and Nuns as friends, and been to sooo many retreats. conferences, heard many great Catholic speakers, and never, I mean never ever had anyone tell me to worship Mary. Catholics DO NOT worship Mary!!! We love her, we admire her, we have very great respect for her and we are so very thankful for what she has done, is doing and will do for us to help us on our way to Heaven. She is the Mother of Our Lord. She said “Yes” to God. We can never love her more than Jesus does. I often wonder how Jesus feels when so many just plain ignore her. I wouldn’t like it if someone ignored my Mother. You need the proper understanding of the Catholic teaching on Mary. If we DON"T worship Mary, we certainly don’t worship Saints! What we do is ask them to pray for us in our needs. We learn about their lives and they are great examples for us to learn from. Children learn from their parents people learn from all sorts of other people, so why not learn from the Saints?? Please don’t believe all the false stuff you hear about the Catholic Church. Keep in mind the 8th Commandment and do not bear false witness against your neighbor.
Catholics do not have to believe “everything” the Pope says. We do have to believe the teachings of the Church and .the Sacraments. Jesus Christ instituted the Priesthood at the Last Supper. He made Peter the first “Pope” when HE founded the Catholic Church. (a little study into Church History will prove that),and we have had 265 Popes since Peter. Pope Francis being the 266th. The Catholic Church is over 2,000 years old and has survived all that History has thrown at it, and is still teaching the same TRUTHS that Jesus gave us. There is still only “One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic” Church and that’s the Catholic Church. I hope this helps you understand the faith you have had since a child.You need to learn all about it before you ever consider walking away. You won’t find all it offers anywhere else. Over and above everything else, you will have the Holy Eucharist, which is truly the "Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ! God Bless, Memaw

Hello there, if you will forgive me, I’ll try to give you some simple answers for there difficult questions. Since I am sure that other people around here will be able to give you more complex and especially bible-based aswers, I will just go straight to the core of the answers.

1. Catholics do not worship Mary, nor the saints. We honor them as our family, Mary as our spiritual Mother (as Jesus pointed out to John while being on the cross) and the saints as our brothers and sisters who are always ready to pray for us while being graced by the direct presence of God. Though Christ we are all conected into his body - the Church, which is both on Earth and in Heaven.
  • Christ is the only mediator of salvation. Also with the saints we are only connected through Christ. The “mediation” the saints do is of the same kind as for example you fellow living christians who prays for you right know.
  1. First of all indulgences do not forgive sins, “indulgence is a remission of temporal punishment due to sin, the guilt of which has been forgiven”. In this way you see the issue is much more complicated. Them being an article of trade for money is of course wrong, but them being selled doesn’t always have to be wrong.
  • The Catholic Church holds the same teaching on faith and morals for 2000 years, this depositum fidei is still untouched since the time of the apostles. While the Church didn’t always live up to its teachings, it never defrauded on its teachings.
  1. Remember that not even the Blessed Trinity is ecplicitly mentioned in the Bible. The infallibility is not practised that often because it is not necessary. And also because it is often used just as an assurance of issues that are being questioned while there were always part of the true teachings of the Church from the Apostolic Tradition.
  • The papal infallibility was not invented in the 19th century, it was only defined a that time by the First Vatican Council. Already on the Council of Chalcedon in 451 the bishops there after reading a Tome from Pope Leo cried out: “This is the faith of the fathers … Peter has spoken thus through Leo …”
  1. This is again a complicated matter. We are saved through Jesus Christ, without him there would be no salvation, no matter how much good we would do. Thanks to Jesus we can have faith in him and forge this faith into works of charity. Faith is dead without works.
  • “Those also can attain to salvation who through no fault of their own do not know the Gospel of Christ or His Church, yet sincerely seek God and moved by grace strive by their deeds to do His will as it is known to them through the dictates of conscience.Nor does Divine Providence deny the helps necessary for salvation to those who, without blame on their part, have not yet arrived at an explicit knowledge of God and with His grace strive to live a good life”. —Lumen gentium 16
  1. There are some passages in the Bible that implicitly talk about purgatory. C.S. Lewis while not being a catholic believed in the purgatory. It is simply a place for those who are definately heading towards heaven, but have to be cleansed of the effects that sin had on them, to look beautiful in the eyes of their Maker. It is just logical that you want to have a shower after a long day before you embrace your loved-one.

2. Yes, both Catholic and Orthodox Churches have apostolic sucession. Their division was not a question of theological differences as much as it was a matter of politics. The problem is, that the Orthodox Church is not in communion with the Bishop of Rome and as the years went some other differences rose between these two (Filioque), but I think that an ecumenical council would solve these. How I would love to live to see two lunges of Apostolic Christianity united into One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. We need to pray. History, language, politics and culture should not hold us apart forever.

3. It is not Rome that matters it is the person of the Bishop of Rome. Well… for 2000 years the Successors of Peter resided in Rome… so maybe it matters a bit. :shrug: Anyway. There are good historical reasons to think that Peter was martyred in Rome as was Paul. Actually, when you see the obelisk on the St. Peter’s Square, it was probably one of the last things that St. Peter saw before his death.

4. How to you call your biological father? You call him “father”? Good. Because it’s ok. As it is to call our spiritual fathers (priests) “father”. Jesus was saying this as an exaggeration. He used that a lot.

• We have priests because Israel had priests. The Old Law was not abolished, it was fullfilled in Christ, by Christ. The only difference is, that our priesthood is not of Aron, but of Christ Jesus the Eternal High-Priest.

Good luck on your journey back home to Rome! :thumbsup: It is great that you are searching, it really is.

Well… catholic should agree on all the teachings on faith and morals of the Church. Yes, the Catechism teaches the true catholic faith. And if the Pope would say this about apples, and it would not be defined infallibly, there could be a discussion. But honestly, let’s hope we won’t have a Holy Father that would hate apples this much. :smiley: :smiley:

Anything that I said is opened for correction by fellow members of these forums.

Pax Christi!

We’ll giver her a whirl but for future reference…Forum rules say that we should make separate threads for each question…Just so you know for the future.

1)Praying to Mary and saints. Worshiping Mary and saints. (SNIP)

Since the Church does not teach us to worship anyone but God…much of this is moot.
As for praying to the saints…Praying is talking…it is petitioning…Praying does not equal worship. Praying t the saints is generally a matter of asking them to pray for us…
And since we believe that our God is a God of the Living and not of the dead…such prayers are perfectly legitimate…

I’m sure others will provide links to additional reading on this.

2)Do Matthew 16:18 contradict history. I mean Matthew 16:18 states: 18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Gates of hell shall not prevail against it. But the Roman Catholic Church just to be corrupted. (SNIP)
So how to explain this.

Too much in here to try to answer in a single question…
The Church has not failed…The teachings are true and correct IN SPITE OF the many less than stellar examples among Catholics.

3)Papal infallibity. I know what it is. I know there is some biblical evidence for it but all of it can be rejected by protestants. It is kinda logical that the pope cannot fall to error while talking about faith i think & morals from the “seat” as the leader of all Christians but he so rarely talks “ex cathedra” or something like that. Why is that? (SNIP)

If you want to go to Scripture…I suggest Reading Mt 18:15-18. This may not be the “smoking gun” statement you would like…but it is VERY clear. We are to "Tell it to the Church and we are to “Listen to the Church” on pain of being cut off.
The Papal office is merely the point at which the “buck stops”…and has the particular charisma that would naturally be associated with such a position.
As for why the Pope speaks so rarely ex-cathedra…It is largely because he doesn’t feel the need, or is not prompted by the Spirit. The Holy Father is the servant of servants and has a great weight of responsibility on his shoulders. He is very careful for this reason.

1. Im not sure about the protestant salvation only thinking. But what is the catholic teaching on salvation. Can you be saved only by faith or by deeds too? (SNIP)

Not sure what you are actually asking here. Works are necessary to salvation because works are a necessary evidence of a living faith. Now works and your faith (such as it is) is dead. Read the Epistle of St James.

Again - I know that others will provide much info on this…
I will simply say to follow Scripture and to "Listen to the Church - for she has the authority from Christ to bind and loose. The Church teaches Purgatory

6)Orthodox vs Catholic. Both say that they have apostolic succesion. And these people were one Church back in the days. And then they split. So are they both true Churches.(SNIP)

The Orthodox DO have legitimate succession. The Catholic Church says so…
Plus teh Two Churches have been in discussions to resolve their differences.
No problem…

Peter’s tomb has been found right where it has been historically believed to be. Under the main Altar of St Peter’s Basilica. Proof enough for ya’?

Then how come Paul referred to himself as Timothy’s “spiritual father”?

[Also one extra question: Does a Catholic have to agree on **everything

that Vatican or the pope says or only the inflallible teachings? Is the Cathecism 100% right. Is it thought to be an inflallible Church teaching by Catholics. If the pope says that, hypoteticaly, apples are of the devil but he doesn’t say that infallibly, does a Catholic have to agree with him?
It is always best to assume the Church correct and work from there.
The more you study Church teaching the more you will realize that these are well thought out and presented. Nothing willy-nilly about them at all.

Peace
James

Telling us which type of Protestant you are will help us refine our answers to you.

God bless you in your quest for truth.

I’m not trying to pick, but wasn’t it a sect of some protestant churches who killed women whom they thought were witches? I don’t remember from any of my history lessons that it was the Catholic church doing witch hunts… I could be wrong, but all I remember is that it was Protestant sects.

Hi – I will take these questions one at a time: :slight_smile:

1. Saints can be either living or deceased, who, at the time of their death, have led lives of virtue.* Virtue is living moral excellence; goodness; righteousness*, as God commanded us by demonstrating the morals and faith as depicted by Our Lord.

Saints in the Roman Catholic Church are venerated – not worshipped – as some mistakenly believe.

English language tends to fall short when it comes to the use of certain words. For example, we have one word for love, yet we use this word interchangeably to describe many different “feelings” of love. We say, “I love my parents”, or “I love chocolate” or even, “I love my spouse”, yet all these different phrases of love do not have the same definition.

Centuries ago, it may have been said that a saint gets “worship”, because the word came from the Old English weorthscipe, which simply meant “worthy of honour” or “worthy of respect”. That is why British speakers of English used to say “Your Worship” as a title of courtesy to people in a position of honour or power (such as Kings), and why we still address a judge as “Your Honour”.

Today, of course, worship means only our attitude to God Almighty, and it is to God alone whom we give all highest honour and supreme worship. In Latin, which is richer than English in meanings of words, the worship owed to God alone is called LATRIA, a word that has its roots in the ancient Greek word, latreía, meaning the adoration that humans owe to the divine. It’s a matter of acknowledging your total dependence upon God. The respect that we owe to the saints is a totally different kind of attitude; it’s called DULIA, which means “appropriate” or “fitting and proper” as when you say that someone acts dutifully, or that a trial was handled with due process. In an everyday sense of the word, dulia is our demeanour in court or meeting the President; it’s much more like what you’d call courtesy than what you’d call worship. Dulia comes from the Greek word douleia, meaning “service” or “slave”. In Luke 1:38, 48 Mary’s description of herself as doule translates as “handmaiden” / “female slave” – (Slave more in the sense of “servant”).

For Mary, the Mother of God, we have a variation of dulia that is often misunderstood: HYPERDULIA. This is a higher kind of reverence that’s given only to Mary, who is considered first among the saints. Note that this is basically dulia, only higher. [The word hyper comes from the Greek: hypér “over”,” above”]. It is an entirely different thing from latria, and it can’t lessen the unique honour owed to God. It’s never correct to say that the Church worships Mary or the Saints – it hasn’t been correct since people stopped speaking Old English, anyway. In recognition of Mary’s unique relationship with God, the Church gives to Mary a unique reverence notably higher than the respect given to other saints. [Reverence means: a feeling or attitude of deep respect tinged with awe; veneration; honour.]

From the beginning of the Church era, Christians began to venerate the martyrs as saints. **Venerate *means to hold in deep respect and honour in recognition of qualities of holiness, excellence, wisdom, etc.*] They believed that the martyrs, (the word comes from the Greek, meaning WITNESS) who suffered and died for their unshakable belief in Christ, went straight to heaven and could therefore be effective as intercessors for the living. By the 3rd century the veneration of the martyr saints was already common. [An intercessor is one who will intercede (plead or request) or offer petitionary prayers to God on behalf of others.]

to be continued…

…continued

You may have heard non-Catholics saying that there is only one intercessor between man and God, and that is Jesus, himself not only divine, but human, (see 1 Timothy 2:5), therefore, they say, it is wrong to pray to the Saints or angels in heaven, but this in no way means we cannot or should not ask our fellow Christians to pray with us and for us as 1 Tim 2:1-4 tells us to: 1 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, 2 for kings and all who are in high positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity. 3 This is right and is acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour, 4 who desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Others may say that Saints are dead, and cannot hear us, and we are to only pray to God. However, there are many passages in Scripture that tells us to pray for one another, and that the angels and saints in heaven carry our prayers to the heavenly altar of God.

1 Tim 2:1-4 tells us:
1 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, 2 for kings and all who are in high positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity. 3 This is right and is acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour, 4 who desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

In Revelation 5:8, John sees that
“When he (Jesus) had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell before the Lamb, each holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints”.

So we see here that the saints in heaven bring our prayers to the Lord, and not only the saints, but angels also bring our prayers to the Lord.

Revelation 8:3-4,
3 “Another angel with a golden censer came and stood at the altar; he was given a great quantity of incense to offer with the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar that is before the throne. 4 And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, rose before God from the hand of the angel.”

The angel Raphael brought prayers to heaven:

Tobit 12:12, 12
So now when you and Sarah prayed, it was I who brought and read the record of your prayer before the glory of the Lord, and likewise whenever you would bury the dead.

Jesus also warned us in Matthew 18:10, of the intercessory role of children’s guardian angels:

10 "Take care that you do not despise one of these little ones; for, I tell you, in heaven their angels continually see the face of my Father in heaven.

Well there were the Salem Witch trials in Massachusetts … No Catholics involved in those…

Peace
James

1. Well, it is true that there were some evil men (and women) in the Church. Even Jesus predicted that there would be wolves in sheep’s clothing, nonetheless, these evil doers did not cause any Doctrines to be changed nor did they destroy the Church. God’s Holy Spirit preserved the Truth taught in the Church (her Doctrines), and from these evil men rose better men who straightened out any falsities that may have arose. Recall too, that even Jesus had hand picked all 12 of His Apostles and yet among them was Judas, who betrayed and sold Christ for money. Yet from this atrocity came victory!!

The Church, because she is Christ’s most Holy Bride, will always be protected and preserved by God’s Holy Spirit. The Church is the Bride of Christ and Scriptures teach this. There is only ONE bride, not many, and His true Bride, as Paul said, is the one that Jesus, the ever faithful Bridegroom, died for, and now protects and guides and promised to be with ALWAYS. That is the Church that He established: the (Catholic - Universal - CHURCH).

Eph 5: - 29 For no one ever hates his own body, but he nourishes and tenderly cares for it, just as Christ does for the church, 30 because we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” 32 This is a great mystery, and I am applying it to Christ and the church.

Also the truth is found in the Church:

1Ti 3:15 -
if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth.

As well, we know that many people in positions of authority/trust have done evil deeds, yet, and here I will use an example: In schools many truths are taugth – 1 + 1 = 2, and so on. Nevertheless, if a teacher does some vile act of evil, that makes the person "evil’ not the school, nor does it negate the truths taught by that person. In the same aspect, the Church teaches truths (Doctrines), and the Church is Holy. Some (maybe many :wink: ) are evil doers in the Church yet it does not negate the truths taught. We get rid of the evil doers not the Church.

As for burning of witches, it was Protestants who did about 98% of that!! A fact that many people don’t know and don’t research.

As others have already stated, you can find the Catholic position on all of your questions if you research it.
What I wanted to tell you is some of the misunderstandings you have which are apparent in your questions:

Praying to someone is not equal to worshipping. Neither is bowing equal to worshipping. Praying is talking to, asking something. I talk to God, praise him, ask him for some things. I also talk to my nephew, praise him, and ask him some things. I worship God. I do not worship my nephew.
Bowing could be the bow of worship but one can bow to express reverence to a human being. For example, when Abraham bows to the sons of Heth (Gen 23:7) he does not do it with the intent of worship. The important question is the intention of the one who bows.

2)Do Matthew 16:18 contradict history.

If this were so, it would be the Bible which would contain the error. Protestants, however, also believe Sacred Scripture to be free of error. Peter denied Jesus (mind you, with Jesus’ foreknowledge). So the question remains whether you have a good grasp of the meaning of Mt 16:18… What does it really mean that the gates of hell will not prevail over the Church built on the rock of Peter? It certainly does not mean that Christians have no sins (I don’t think a Protestant would argue this either). And if Christians are sinners, then there is corruption in the Church here on earth. Does this mean that Mt 16:18 is false? I don’t think so.

And, btw, there is pretty solid evidence that Peter was in Rome (his grave is there) and no evidence that he wasn’t; the Bible mentions priests quite few times (they are not called “father” in all languages and cultures. Whether you call a priest “father” is your problem, but again I think the most important is the motive as in bowing. As far as I know, Italians and Poles, for example, will not call a diocesan priest father in their language.) And no, Catholics don’t have to agree with something a pope says which is not about faith and morals. If it is about faith and morals, there is ordinary and extraordinary Magisterium (you can look it up). But the Magisterium is a gift and not a burden: Jesus promised to guide his Church. I search for the truth sincerely and won’t let myself be brainwashed; I also believe that Jesus promised this and he won’t let us down; the Magisterium of Holy Mother Church is the fulfillment of Jesus’ promise, the guarantee that he is helping those poor sinner popes and bishops for the sake of the rest of us also. This is an immense gift for me, I hope it will be one day for you too.

If Bathsheba, the mother of Solomon, son of David and King of Israel, was honored as Queen of Israel, what then do we make of Mary, the Mother of Jesus, son of David and King of Kings? 1 Kings 2:19 …We honor her as our heavenly Mother here on Earth!
Peace,Carlan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.