Can you answer some questions regarding becoming a priest?

I was married by a judge in a civil ceremony (my aunt was the judge). I have two sins aged 10 and 7. I have recently been divorced.

Over the past 5 or 6 years I have found myself drawn to the priesthood (well, longer than that, but more on that below). I attended Catholic school from Kindergarten through 8th grade and have always been a very religious person. My civil marriage was the result of my ex-wife being anti-religious. During that period of my life, I too was struggling with my faith and was drawn into this civil ceremony by the love I felt for my wife at the time.

She turned out to be very different than the person I married. I still felt I had to persevere and try to make that union work. In the end, it became obvious that my faith and her lack thereof were inconsistent with our staying together. Things came to a head when she refused to let me have my youngest son Baptised in the Church (I had persuaded her to allow my older son to be baptized, thank God). She left me at that time, thinking me some religious "fanatic."

That's the backstory in a nutshell.

Now to my question:

May a man in my situation become a priest? What would I need to do. How would I get the process started assuming it is possible.

I truly believe God has shown me this path. In fact, He had been showing me His plan for me in this matter for as long as I can remember. I simply failed him and fought my destiny.

Please advise. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dear friend,

You have a responsibility that ought to take up most of your energy for a number of years; you are a father of two sons. Any thought of the priesthood must wait until they are adults.
No diocese or religious order will take you so long as they need you–and they do! You are in our prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.