Can you ask a priest to be executor of your will?

I have no family of my own, and no close relatives that are younger that I feel confident asking to be the executor of my will. Does anyone know if you can ask a priest to do this? Thanks for any answers.

You can ask, especially if he’s a friend, but he may not be willing to do so. I think the priest who is in residence was executor for his brother’s estate two years ago. But if it’s a parish priest, he may not be around when the time comes to fulfill that commitment.

If you are wealthy, just do not leave him all of your money and property! You really would not want him to turn into Cardinal de Bricassart, would you?

I think this is a bad idea, unless he is a close member of the family (not just a close friend). It is really placing a burden on him that is not right, not part of his priestly ministry. I have no family members who I think are really competent to be an executor of my will besides my father, and he is really getting too old. I have a very close friend who fits the bill perfectly. He is smart, honest, trustworthy, and cares about my family. But removed enough from it such that he can be impartial if any disputes do arise.

Lacking that, find a good attorney. If you find a good attorney, he/she will charge a fee; but will do an excellant job. Probably better than anyone else would do.

Certainly NOT a priest. It is just not right, I am sure of that.

Handling the probate of a will is time-consuming, even if the estate is a simple one, and all the more so if there are complexities in the estate.

Given the fact that priests usually have limited time at their disposal, I don't think it would be a good idea to make him the executor of your estate, unless he is a close family member.

[quote="pollycarp, post:1, topic:243830"]
I have no family of my own, and no close relatives that are younger that I feel confident asking to be the executor of my will. Does anyone know if you can ask a priest to do this? Thanks for any answers.

[/quote]

you could but the executor is someone who has to be around and accessible when you die, and have the time and knowledge to carry out the task. It can be a real burden so it should be a family member, or a trusted professional. Personally it think it is quite a task and too time-consuming to ask a busy priest to undertake. (having done it for 3 relatives).

If he has taken a vow of poverty I’m not sure that he would be allowed. My aunt is a Sister of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. My father is now in charge of her share of what my grandparent’s left their children because of her vow. I’m not sure if this would be a similar situation.

I don’t think that would be an issue. An executor of a will does not, by definition, inherent anything or take on any ownership of property. You are describing an example of a religious being one of the heirs.

Besides, most priests are secular, they take no vow of poverty.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.