Can you become a Priest with a GED?

Here is the story Im 16 years old and planning on converting soon. I promised God that I would use this life to serve him and be a Priest for him. I have a strong love for the Pre-Vatican II Church but I am also very loyal to the Pope. Hence I feel I am being called to the FSSP (Priestly Fraternity of St.Peter) Priesthood. They are a Society of Apostolic Life and their Priests are the most traditional devout men I have ever seen. Unlike many seminaries in the USA you dont need a Bachelors Degree for admittance. You can come in right out of High School. They only teach what you need for the Priesthood no math or science. So here is my question my High School is very Anti-Catholic. Every person in the school drinks, smokes, has sex, dips. They make fun of you if they know your Catholic (call you a pedophile or other vile things). I have tried to resist but I feel I am being drug down spiritually because of all this. I am a Sophomore and its almost summer break. Since I am 16 it is legal for me to drop out. I am a smart person I am taking some college classes in school but I cant handle the place anymore. So if I drop out and get my GED can I be admitted to their seminary? I know the Priesthood is what I am going to do with my life so there is no need for the extra education I would receive this next two years plus the teachers are pretty stupid and can`t teach anyway. Can anyone help me I really need advice.

Wow, I think you need to speak to a Spiritual Director or even better to the Director of Vocations at the seminary you want to attend.

You should get in touch with the seminary you are interested in attending, explain your situation and ask them if it would be all right if you came to them with a GED. Also, if you are interested in the priesthood you should have a spiritual director to help you with the discernment process. Call and make an appointment with a priest and ask him for a recomendation.

Here is the contact page for Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary (the FSSP seminary in the U.S.). Perhaps you should message them directly with your question.

As far as I know, a GED is equivalent to a high school diploma for all legal purposes. However, they may have sound reasons for preferring regular graduates. If you stay at the high school, I suggest you join your suffering to Christ’s suffering. It will bring you closer to Him.

[quote="Brockman138, post:1, topic:280318"]
Here is the story Im 16 years old and planning on converting soon. I promised God that I would use this life to serve him and be a Priest for him. I have a strong love for the Pre-Vatican II Church but I am also very loyal to the Pope. Hence I feel I am being called to the FSSP (Priestly Fraternity of St.Peter) Priesthood. They are a Society of Apostolic Life and their Priests are the most traditional devout men I have ever seen. Unlike many seminaries in the USA you dont need a Bachelors Degree for admittance. You can come in right out of High School. They only teach what you need for the Priesthood no math or science. So here is my question my High School is very Anti-Catholic. Every person in the school drinks, smokes, has sex, dips. They make fun of you if they know your Catholic (call you a pedophile or other vile things). I have tried to resist but I feel I am being drug down spiritually because of all this. I am a Sophomore and its almost summer break. Since I am 16 it is legal for me to drop out. I am a smart person I am taking some college classes in school but I cant handle the place anymore. So if I drop out and get my GED can I be admitted to their seminary? I know the Priesthood is what I am going to do with my life so there is no need for the extra education I would receive this next two years plus the teachers are pretty stupid and can`t teach anyway. Can anyone help me I really need advice.

[/quote]

Hi Brockman,

It sounds like you have a lot going on. I would think that with your high school if it is truly that bad and if you have the option think about changing High schools or try going to a Catholic one. I know you said everyone drinks, smokes does drugs etc.. but is that really true? You might want to look into starting a Catholic Club or somethign like that at your school to draw like minded individuals (As for a Catholic School they may offer scholarships to defer cost.)

Another option, and I know you are in the process of converting is to find a local Catholic Church and get involved there either with the Youth ministry or any other ministry that interests you. It should help provide you with a breath of "spritual" fresh air to be in the service of the Church and others. Perhaps think about joining the squires with the Knights of Colombus where you would potenitally meet like minded kids your age.

I can't really tell you about your GED question so it might be best to talk to the FSSP seminary directly to address your questions.

THe link can be found here: fssp.org/en/seminaireD.htm

scroll to the bottom of the page for email addresses.

[quote="Brockman138, post:1, topic:280318"]
So here is my question my High School is very Anti-Catholic. Every person in the school drinks, smokes, has sex, dips. They make fun of you if they know your Catholic (call you a pedophile or other vile things).........plus the teachers are pretty stupid and can`t teach anyway. Can anyone help me I really need advice.

[/quote]

Hi,

Is it a charm school you attend lol? Please forgive me, I do not intend to make-light of the gravity of your current situation. Does the school not have an equality policy? Such policies appear to encompass the entire known world’s religions, social ‘norms’, nationalities and races with the only exception being that of the Catholic faith. I would advise you not to rush into any major decisions without profound contemplation of ALL avenues open to you. I would suggest that you contact your local priest as a first point of contact, and see where this leads you. Also, pray to God for the graces and guidance you need to fulfil His will and plan for you. I really hope everything works out well for you, and I will keep you in my prayers.

Yours in Christ, God bless

Their isn’t a Catholic School in a hundred miles and this may sound bad but I haven’t even told may parents I want to be Catholic yet (they are Anti-Catholic) so I cant go to a Parish until I tell them and even then I dont know if they will approve. I am hoping I get the courage to tell them this week.
Please pray for me.

Please contact the vocations director. I think you may be operating on some partial information. You aren’t Catholic yet. You can’t enter seminary until you are Catholic and usually not until a few years after that. If you drop out of school, what are you going to do until then? How will you support yourself?

Corki is correct.

Brockman138, you’ll have to take a little more time regardless.

Whatever you do, DO NOT drop out of school. Can you transfer to another school and/or open enroll to a neighboring school district?

I want to go to seminary as soon as possible Ill be 18 in two years thus my desire to convert now and since I am under 18 Ill live with my parents and work small jobs like any teenager.

Every Public High School is the same I have been enrolled in or visited most
That`s what happens when you live in Kentucky

I can tell you when I was in high school (I graduated in '91), there was a lot of smoking (even on school grounds), drinking (myself and a good, good Catholic friend of mine who we stood up with the other at each other’s weddings were drinking) and chewing going on and I grew up in Iowa. It’s just a right of passage sort of thing.

Don’t let these things get to you.

You are still looking at 2 or 3 years at least before seminary. It’s fine for a high school kid to work small jobs but once you are out of school (either by graduating or dropping out) it is likely that your parents will expect you to earn a living. I say this as a mother of two teens myself. :slight_smile:

The process of becoming a priest isn’t just about joining and completing a seminary program. I don’t know if you have started RCIA yet but those programs are usually anywhere from 9 to 18 months long. Then the seminary will likely have you attend some discernment events such as retreats before you are accepted to the seminary program program itself.

My advice is not to do anything rash such as dropping out of school until you have had a few coversations with the FSSP vocations director. You might also want to talk to the vocations director in your diocese. If you have a true calling to the priesthood, the FSSP may be the way to go but it isn’t the only way. It is good to investigate all of the paths before making a decision.

Its not really those things that bother me ( they do secretly drink in school though that does) but the very bad Anti-Catholicism I could handle the other things.

My parents said I can live at home till I am 22. So I have till then to convert and be enrolled.
The only expense I have is my insurance and gas money. So I should be able to make it fine till then.

You might find that you can't even take the GED until you're 18 and your high school class has graduated. That's the way it used to work in my state, anyway. It's probably best to tough it our and finish high school.

In Kentucky if your 16 you can take the test 90 days after dropping out

[quote="Brockman138, post:16, topic:280318"]
My parents said I can live at home till I am 22. So I have till then to convert and be enrolled.

[/quote]

Sorry, but the story is starting to fall apart. Your parents, who you haven't even told you plan to become Catholic, let alone intend to be a priest are fine with you living at home, as a high school drop out until you are old enough to apply to seminary? What do your parents say about you dropping out of school? What do you think they will say about you wanting to be a priest?

It not just that it has to be “ok” with your parents. You have to demonstrate to the seminary that you are mature and ready to accept a vocation. Living at home, dropping out of school and working odd jobs for gas money is probably not enough by itself.

**And **you have to raise the $7K per year for the FSSP seminary. If you go in without a degree, I think that’s seven years.

We’re not trying to discourage you but it does seem as if you haven’t thought the whole plan out. Have you discussed this with the priest who is doing your RCIA?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.