Can you consume the Host and the Blood in the same service?

Can a person recieve both the host and the blood during the same service?

And what is a Eucharistic minister?

We do it all the time - in my parish we receive the eucharist under both species - Precious Body and Precious Blood at each and every mass.

You are not required to do both but you can. And also receiving either alone (precious body or precious blood) is receipt of the sacrament - the real presence is among both species.

It’s a fairly large church (900+) so we have Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion (or EMHC as you might read here). These are the eucharistic ministers you refer to but the correct term is above. They assist the priest and/or deacon with the distribution of the body and the blood to the assembly during mass. They receive proper instruction on how to do this and are “commissioned” by the pastor and/or bishop.

A Eucharistic minister would really be the priest, who is the ordinary minister of the Eucharist…You are probably refereing to what is called an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion [abbreviated here in the forums as EMHC], who is a lay person who assists the priest with the distribution of the Eucharist at Mass.

You receive the ‘Body and the Blood’ [also, the soul and the divinity of Christ everytime you receive the Eucharist, whether you receive only the consecrated “bread” or only the consecrated “wine” as Jesus is fully present in either species. In some parishes they offer both species [Bread & Wine] at Mass. Some parishes only offer the consecrated bread. The priest always uses both bread and wine for the consecration.

Some parishes offer both species on Sunday and only one [bread] at the daily masses.

For those who are unable to take of the Eucharistic Bread for medical reason and therefore recieve the Eucharistc Wine receive the fullness of Christ, the Body Blood, Soul and Divinity…

Of course a person can receive both the Body and Blood of our Lord when they receive communion at the same Mass. Not a problem. This is known as receiving under both species.

A “Eucharistic Minister” is a deacon, priest or bishop; a man who has received the sacrament of Holy Orders. They are also known as “Ordinary Ministers of Holy Communion” because they are ones who ordinarily offer it. However, a deacon cannot consecrate the Eucharist; only a priest or bishop. A lay person cannot be a Eucharistic Minister.

This is in contrast to “Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion”. These are non-cleric, lay people or consecrated religious, who can assist at Mass by helping the priest distribute Holy Communion. They are called “Extraordinary” because they are intended to be called on only in extraordinary circumstances, even if those circumstances are frequent.

Please, please, please do not be offended but…how long have you been Catholic? I’m merely curious.


Im offended.:stuck_out_tongue:

By ministers I wasn’t playing he stupid card, I knew the priest was one, I made a mistake and didn’t Extraordinary title infornt of it.

sorry if it sounds sarcastic. I try not to be.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit