Can you do an easier sin to avoid a graver one?

For example i had a friend who sined with a man in her teenage years out of naivity. She got pregnant. The father refused to ackoledge the child. Then she decided the hide this fact from her parents who probably would have forced her to have an abortion. She told them in the 4th month when it was to late for abortion adn they were angry about it, because they said it's to late to get rid of it. She told them she didn't know she was pregnant.

Lying to her parents and disobeing them is obviously a sin. However she saved her little girl.

Lying to someone who would force you to have an abortion if you were to tell them the truth is not a sin at all. It is like the lies people had to tell in order to hide Jews in WWII. That the child resulted from a sin on the part of the mother has nothing at all to do with the moral question of whether she ought to lie in order to protect her child from harm.

It would be better if she could tell her parents the truth after the danger of a forced abortion was past: That is, that she knew that she was pregnant and lied in order to protect her unborn child. That is nothing to be ashamed of. Nevertheless, in the most important respect, she did the right thing.

[quote="cristyd, post:1, topic:226304"]
For example i had a friend who sined with a man in her teenage years out of naivity. She got pregnant. The father refused to ackoledge the child. Then she decided the hide this fact from her parents who probably would have forced her to have an abortion. She told them in the 4th month when it was to late for abortion adn they were angry about it, because they said it's to late to get rid of it. She told them she didn't know she was pregnant.

Lying to her parents and disobeing them is obviously a sin. However she saved her little girl.

[/quote]

She was right to do whatever it took to save her baby. She did not sin. It is not a sin to disobey a command to commit a sin of any kind, and she was right to avoid being pressured into it.

This falls into the "keeping them out of temptation" category of information. It is okay to mislead someone away from information that, if they knew it, would tempt them to commit a sin.

This is not a question of one sin over another. I see a situation of several sins. Yes, lying is a sin. But so is fornication. And so are parent(s) who raise children who are not put into God's loving, caring heart.
It is best for this teenager, who is loved by Jesus, to repent. Confess the lying, the reason why the lie had to be told and the fornication. This confession can be done directly to Jesus alone. Then a repentance is necessary, such as fasting for 3 days to not only gain Jesus's forgiveness, but also to make it easier to say NO when temptation comes your way. If necessary, talk to a clergy, by phone or in person or by email and find out what other repentances can be done.
Just to be sure that Jesus is not going to hold this lie against you, I would confess and repent for it. Also, Rehab, a prostitute in the old testament did lie to protect two of God's chosen ones when they were spying out the land. But the Bible does not tell us what the spiritual result was in regards to this lie.
Keep in mind that Jesus now has another precious soul for His heart to love and cherish.
I pray that much reward shall come to you and your little one for not choosing death for the infant.
Sincerely in God's love,
Mary

[quote="Mary_Christ, post:4, topic:226304"]
This is not a question of one sin over another. I see a situation of several sins. Yes, lying is a sin. But so is fornication. And so are parent(s) who raise children who are not put into God's loving, caring heart.
It is best for this teenager, who is loved by Jesus, to repent. Confess the lying, the reason why the lie had to be told and the fornication. This confession can be done directly to Jesus alone. Then a repentance is necessary, such as fasting for 3 days to not only gain Jesus's forgiveness, but also to make it easier to say NO when temptation comes your way. If necessary, talk to a clergy, by phone or in person or by email and find out what other repentances can be done.
Just to be sure that Jesus is not going to hold this lie against you, I would confess and repent for it. Also, Rehab, a prostitute in the old testament did lie to protect two of God's chosen ones when they were spying out the land. But the Bible does not tell us what the spiritual result was in regards to this lie.
Keep in mind that Jesus now has another precious soul for His heart to love and cherish.
I pray that much reward shall come to you and your little one for not choosing death for the infant.
Sincerely in God's love,
Mary

[/quote]

Thank you for the reply. However, honestly i am telling you it's my friend and not me. If it was me i would have said so.

I think she already repent for her sins and she confessed them. The child is already a little girl now and the mom is very proud and happy of her. And she is not a teenager anymore. I think she did a good thing by keeping her child. It was really just a question, if her lie was a sin or not.

The little girl is so beautiful. When people talk to me about abortion and woman's rights I think about showing them a picture of this girl and telling them the story of my friend. How she could have been an abortion and what an immense loss it would have been.

She did not have to lie to her parents once the baby was out of danger. It was wrong (but she is probably zero culpable) for lying. Still, at that point it was more about her not wanting her parents to get angry at her. At that point lying was just deepening the sin and not moving towards healing.
However the permissive lie of not telling them right away cannot be considered sinful since it was done to save a life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.