Can you explain Catholic teaching about works?

Hello,
Before I converted to the Catholic Church, I was non-denominational. I had heard some people say that people in Heaven would have different crowns or different garments/sashes etc to denote a life that was more holy while on earth. I am sure this particular belief is not held by all non-denoms or pentacostals…Have you ever heard of this?

Obviously, if people did believe this sort of thing, then wouldn’t that point towards the Crowning of Mary as queen of Heaven, because who was more holy than her? Right, if there are degrees of holiness here on earth, and greater rewards for those who are more holy, then doesn’t that also point to the necessity of cooepration with God’s grace (i.e. works)?

These links should give you the answers that you need. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
**Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]Reward and Merit
*]The Meaning of “Merit”
*]Born Again - The Bible Way
*]Faith or Works or Both?
*]Are Good Works Necessary for Salvation?
*]“Not by Works”
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.