Can you get married if you are infertile?

If you know before hand that you cannot physically ever conceive a child, can you still get married in the Church? Thanks everyone. (Just hypothetical)

Yes, so long as you can complete the conjugal act in the normal manner with your spouse.

[quote=Shepard]If you know before hand that you cannot physically ever conceive a child, can you still get married in the Church? Thanks everyone. (Just hypothetical)
[/quote]

Yes, but beware how you state that. Physically never able to concieve a child seems like you could be impotent. If you are impotent, you cannot get married.

Many a time have “infertile” couples been blessed with children. I personally know a woman who the doctors said there was NO POSSIBILITY for her to have any children…She has two!!

Blessed be GOD!!

[quote=Shepard]If you know before hand that you cannot physically ever conceive a child, can you still get married in the Church? Thanks everyone. (Just hypothetical)
[/quote]

Yes. Infertility is not an impediment to valid marriage.

[quote=chadwilliams]Yes, but beware how you state that. Physically never able to concieve a child seems like you could be impotent. If you are impotent, you cannot get married.

[/quote]

How would one know if he was impotent, if he had not sinned before marriage?

It would seem the Church would hardly condone one particular activity that could prove his ability to, well, uhhh…

Caveat emptor, I suppose. “But Father I was only making sure I was prepared for marriage.”

Alan

[quote=Caveat emptor, I suppose. “But Father I was only making sure I was prepared for marriage.”
[/QUOTE]

Hilarious! :smiley:
[/quote]

most adolescent males experience night dreams and involuntary erections and therefore have first hand knowledge of their bodily function without performing a sinful action.

[quote=AlanFromWichita]How would one know if he was impotent, if he had not sinned before marriage?

It would seem the Church would hardly condone one particular activity that could prove his ability to, well, uhhh…

Caveat emptor, I suppose. “But Father I was only making sure I was prepared for marriage.”

Alan
[/quote]

In many case you would certainly know-- congenital deformity, paralysis, serious injury that has mutliated the genital orgns, an injury to the testicles or cancer that required their removal for example.

There are cases where it might not be known beforehand, most likely in the case of a female, but in many cases it would.

[quote=1ke]In many case you would certainly know-- congenital deformity, paralysis, serious injury that has mutliated the genital orgns, an injury to the testicles or cancer that required their removal for example.

There are cases where it might not be known beforehand, most likely in the case of a female, but in many cases it would.
[/quote]

What if said impotent person wanted to marry someone he or she deeply loved?

[quote=Ahimsa]What if said impotent person wanted to marry someone he or she deeply loved?
[/quote]

Then they had better lobby for civil unions! :wink:

Alan

[quote=1ke]In many case you would certainly know-- congenital deformity, paralysis, serious injury that has mutliated the genital orgns, an injury to the testicles or cancer that required their removal for example.

[/quote]

Wow. Bummer. I’m glad I was too chicken to go to war and get my parts blown up.

Alan

[quote=AlanFromWichita]Wow. Bummer. I’m glad I was too chicken to go to war and get my parts blown up.

Alan
[/quote]

Did you escape to Canada?

[quote=Ahimsa]What if said impotent person wanted to marry someone he or she deeply loved?
[/quote]

They would not be able to do so. To my knowledge, impotence is not an impediment which can be dipsensed because consummation is required to contract the marriage validly.

[quote=1ke]They would not be able to do so. To my knowledge, impotence is not an impediment which can be dipsensed because consummation is required to contract the marriage validly.
[/quote]

Marriage is more than a contract.

Does the above limitation on impotence apply to getting married as “brother and sister”??? Thanks and God Bless.

[quote=slinky1882]Does the above limitation on impotence apply to getting married as “brother and sister”??? Thanks and God Bless.
[/quote]

You would never start off a marriage to live as “brother and sister.” When you get married, you intend to consumate the marriage with the marital act and be open to fertility.

So a “brother and sister marriage” must be preceded by a consummate marriage??? There aren’t any circumstances that allow just a “brother and sister marriage”??? Thanks and God Bless.

[quote=Ahimsa]Did you escape to Canada?
[/quote]

Nah, I was a bit too young to get drafted into Vietnam, and then too old for other stuff. I got off lucky in that way. It always scared me, though, the whole idea of physical pain. I’m glad we have kids who will go out and do that fighting for us, because it needs to be done.

Of course, it used to be that kids would lie to get into the service because they wanted to go defend our country. That was slightly before my time.

Alan

[quote=slinky1882]So a “brother and sister marriage” must be preceded by a consummate marriage??? There aren’t any circumstances that allow just a “brother and sister marriage”??? Thanks and God Bless.
[/quote]

Supposedly there was one marriage like that. Back about 2000 years ago.

Do you suppose the marriage of Joseph and Mary would have held up under annulment hearings? They never consummated their marriage.

Alan

[/quote]

I would think that if you deeply loved someone you would want what was best for them. Being locked in a marriage with no hope of children and sexual fufillment seems cruel on the part of the partner with the defect.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.