Can you help me in choosing a seminary?

I am in the military with strong thoughts in becoming a roman catholic priest but am worried it will be hard going to a seminary while still being in the military if you want to be ordained as a priest do you have to go to a catholic seminary because I found a baptist eminary online to where I can earn the Masters OF Divinity degree through them but am afraid when I am about to graduate that it will no be good enough for me to get ordained any help guys please and God Bless

Dear friend,

You’ve got to be kidding! There is no way that you can formally prepare for the priesthood while in the military. Preparation for the priesthood entails much more than simply getting an M Div. Incidentally, there is big difference between a Baptist M Div and a Catholic M Div. This is because there is a big difference between being a Protestant clergyman and being a Catholic priest. There is nothing on the face of the earth that can come close to what a priest of Jesus Christ actually is. Regardless of the priest’s sinfulness and weaknesses, Jesus has given him the power to take bread and wine and change it into Himself. Even our Blessed Mother doesn’t have that power.

One doesn’t rush into such a sublime voacation. One allows himself to be led slowly and deliberately. The One leading, of course, is Jesus Himself. So the time of preparation is first of all a time of deep prayer and intimacy with Him in the context of His Passion. It is here the man learns the sacrificial love that must animate him as he ministers to God’s people. This takes time.

I realize that this may feel like a splash of cold water. But the military are used to such. You are in my prayers, friend. Feel free to write me privately by just clicking on my name.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.