Can you help me regarding my abortion and Confession?

About 7 years ago, I had an abortion, which still pains me and still leaves me crying at the mere mention of it. I have deeply regretted it from that instant and it still weighs heavily on my heart. After leaving the faith 15 years ago, I want to come back. I have begun attending church again. I have been reading “Catechism of the Catholic Church” as well as reading Catholic literature online to better understand my faith. Just last night I read about how an abortion is a mortal sin and those who commit the sin will face excommunication.

Does that mean that I am not allowed to attend mass? I am scared now to confess my sin because I am in a new parish and don’t know the priest too well and I do not know how to confess or even if I should confess. This is something that I have been carrying secretly for a long time. What makes my situation even more complicated is that I will be starting marriage classes soon to be married in the church. I am so afraid that the priest will tell me that I will not be allowed to marry inside the church.

I now realize the severity of my sin but don’t know how to make it right again.

HIi,

All you need to do is go to Confession. The U.S. bishops have given the priests in our country permission to remove the excommunication when they give absolution to those who have had abortions. If you would feel better going to Confession anonymously at another parish, feel free to do so. Then you may receive Holy Communion. You are not obliged to tell anyone (other the the confessor) about your abortion . Welcome back. You are in our prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.