Can you help me regarding the rules for Catholic funerals?

I’m considering pre-planning my funeral. Since I’ve never been married, have no children and have limited friendships, I have a question about what I can and can’t do.

Normally, funerals are a fairly big event. Many family and friends. Not having much of either I would like to make my exit as simple as possible so that I won’t burden anyone with the details (A friend’s father died recently and they spent 4+ hours making arrangements ust with the mortician).

Can one have a Catholic funeral at a regular Mass after the deceased has been interred? That is, if I have my self cremated and interred, can I have a regular weekday Mass act as a funeral Mass? Sorry for the depressing questions, but I need to know.

Thank you.

Hi,

There is nothing depressing about going home. Sure, you can have your funeral at a weekday Mass. Talk to your pastor.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.